Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Legends of Folk Music

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:39 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 03, 2008
Posts: 339
Location: Belgium
Last week i read in a newspaper that there is going to be a new Woodstock festival in New York with some bands who did also the sixtees festival : Crosby , Stills & Nash , Santana , The Who , Joe Cocker etc. It has to do something with the 40st anniversary of the festival . I dont know that Arlo is going to be there or not . Does anybody know more abouth this ? :?:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
no, but i'm gunna try and find out!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:04 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Yesterday at Kmart I got an official Woodstock 'Genuine Licensed Apparel' tiedye T-Shirt. The tag has message fron Michael Lang on it. Also it has a braclet attached with a peace sign charm and a red plectrum with Woodstock and the Dove. Looks like Hippie clothes are "IN" again this year.

I am proud to be part of the generation that wore the original "HIPPIE" gear and are still wearing it.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
I wonder if they have those in the states. I have a Woodstock shirt I got some yrs ago. Not sure where it is at the moment since moving to my folks house. I LOVE the hippie style clothes...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:08 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Feb 26, 2009
Posts: 1201
My dashiki is hanging up waiting for the day it might fit again.... my Grateful Dead t-shirt is mint. I think my wife disposed of the sandals covertly after they followed her into the bathroom one dark and stormy night. They wuz hainted...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 pm
  

ArloNetizen

Joined: Aug 29, 2008
Posts: 61
louise wrote:
Yesterday at Kmart I got an official Woodstock 'Genuine Licensed Apparel' tiedye T-Shirt. The tag has message fron Michael Lang on it. Also it has a braclet attached with a peace sign charm and a red plectrum with Woodstock and the Dove. Looks like Hippie clothes are "IN" again this year.

I am proud to be part of the generation that wore the original "HIPPIE" gear and are still wearing it.

It is on the move in again. In a way I'm glad because I can find more clothes I like, but in a way I'm not. Here's why: I'm in high school (a very unfortunate event) and most of the people who make fun of me for really being into good music and wearing tie dye and a peace sign necklace because I believe in peace are begining to wear it. They don't know what it means, and they don't care. They just know it's fashionable. I wouldn't mind, but flashing a peace sign for a myspace picture doesn't mean you believe in peace. It doesn't make you a hippie. Being a hippie requires believeing certain things that most high schoolers don't.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:30 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
alicia wrote:
I'm in high school (a very unfortunate event) and most of the people who make fun of me for really being into good music and wearing tie dye and a peace sign necklace because I believe in peace are begining to wear it. They don't know what it means, and they don't care.

Alicia: This is a secret; don't tell anyone, but the same thing happened in the 1960s. There were the real 'freeks' and then there were the'weekend hippies.' The latter had no idea what it was all about but they knew it was supposed to be cool. They went on to be the 'successful corporate' ones of the Boomer Generation, and now have given us all a big black eye. The real ones are still around, being, well ... real. As are you, obviously. It has its perks that nobody can every take away from you. But don't tell ... shhh ...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:17 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Yesterday I went with my Mom in Kohls dept store & I saw a cute fringed 60's style purse. I told my mom how cute it was. (It was too expensive for me at around $25 regular $50 maybe). She said I was too old for that fringed hippie stuff. I told her no I wasn't that I'll always never be too old for it unless I am 90 or 100. And that I refuse to wear old lady stuff. I am me. Totally uniquely me lol. She drives me crazy. I am used to sleeping late. My folks get up early for breakfast. Now that I'm here they get me up for it too when I wanna sleep late. They have no concept of the fact that others don't live the same way they do. I'm going nutty here. They are good folks tho & I love them to death. They lived thru the 60's & 70's but never experienced them.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:27 pm
  

ArloNetizen

Joined: Aug 29, 2008
Posts: 61
Ceashel wrote:
alicia wrote:
I'm in high school (a very unfortunate event) and most of the people who make fun of me for really being into good music and wearing tie dye and a peace sign necklace because I believe in peace are begining to wear it. They don't know what it means, and they don't care.

Alicia: This is a secret; don't tell anyone, but the same thing happened in the 1960s. There were the real 'freeks' and then there were the'weekend hippies.' The latter had no idea what it was all about but they knew it was supposed to be cool. They went on to be the 'successful corporate' ones of the Boomer Generation, and now have given us all a big black eye. The real ones are still around, being, well ... real. As are you, obviously. It has its perks that nobody can every take away from you. But don't tell ... shhh ...


That makes me just as mad, I don't believe that you can be a "weekend hippie" because to me it's a way of life. Something I wholeheartedly believe and will take the bumps and bruises other people give for it because I plan to stand up for myself and not change. That's what gets me, they hate you until it's fashionable to be like you.

And I will keep it our secret.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:41 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1883
Location: Wantagh, NY
Ceashel wrote:
alicia wrote:
I'm in high school (a very unfortunate event) and most of the people who make fun of me for really being into good music and wearing tie dye and a peace sign necklace because I believe in peace are begining to wear it. They don't know what it means, and they don't care.

Alicia: This is a secret; don't tell anyone, but the same thing happened in the 1960s. There were the real 'freeks' and then there were the'weekend hippies.' The latter had no idea what it was all about but they knew it was supposed to be cool. They went on to be the 'successful corporate' ones of the Boomer Generation, and now have given us all a big black eye. The real ones are still around, being, well ... real. As are you, obviously. It has its perks that nobody can every take away from you. But don't tell ... shhh ...



geez shelly... am i a freek or a geek???

:roll:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:46 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
Arnie wrote:
geez shelly... am i a freek or a geek???
:roll:

Yes


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
I like peace sign stuff & hippie type clothing & 60's & 70's type clothing. Because I really like it and not because I am trying to follow some kind of trend. I dress to please myself & not some trend...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 03, 2008
Posts: 339
Location: Belgium
Some people say to me that i am still living in the past ( sixtees - seventies ) but i dont mind . It keeps me young . My clothes are still tesame style ( i feel best in blue jeans ) and the music from that period was revolutionary . I am a hippie till the day i die . Peace please ! :wink:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:15 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: May 25, 2001
Posts: 3074
Location: Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Michael Lang (one of the original promoters of Woodstock '69) is looking at the possibility of doing the 40th Anniversary celebration in BROOKLYN! ... Prospect Park, where I played as a kid!

From yesterday's NY Daily News:
Quote:
Prospect Park may host Woodstock's 40th anniversary
Updated Monday, April 6th 2009, 2:30 PM
Rosier/News

The promoter of the original Woodstock wants to bring a 40th anniversary concert to Prospect Park.


The summer of Love could be coming to Brooklyn if a promoter from the original Woodstock music festival has his way, the Daily News has learned.

Michael Lang, who helped put on the famous upstate 1969 festival, is hoping to stage a massive Woodstock 40th anniversary concert in Prospect Park's Long Meadow this summer -- if he can find enough sponsors.

"It's big, it's convenient. There's public transportation - and Brooklyn's cool," said Lang, 64. "I'd love to do it. But it's been a very tough year."

Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe confirmed the city is in talks with Lang about the event.

"New York City has a wonderful legacy of great free concerts," said Benepe, adding Prospect Park would be a great spot for such a concert.

"It's a park we have been pointing concert promoters to," said Benepe. "There's no space anywhere in Central Park as large as the the Long Meadow in Prospect Park."

Lang, who grew up in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, said he knows the clock is ticking and that to make the free daylong show work, he has to find the necessary $8 million to $10 million to pay for it by the end of the month.

If the money comes through, Lang is hoping to attract up to 150,000 people and feature a mix of Woodstock legends like Crosby, Stills and Nash, and Neil Young, as well as newer bands that fit the vibe, like Dave Matthews and Phish.

That would be a big change from the 30th anniversary concert held upstate in 1999, which featured groups like Metallica and Megadeth, and was shut down amid riots and widespread violence.

"We would like to harken back to something a lot more sentimental," said Lang. "'99 was more of an MTV event. The music was much too angry for me."

Lang said he hasn't met with the NYPD about security for such a massive undertaking, but wasn't worried.

"New York cops are pretty good at this," he said. "I'm sure they would be able to handle it."

Lang also looked at Coney Island for the concert, but decided the beach was too narrow for such a large crowd.

He's also considering Flushing Meadows in Queens but has ruled out Central Park because he was told he could only have about 50,000 on the Great Lawn there.

There is already one problem with Prospect Park, however.

Because Lang has waited so long, the actual Woodstock anniversary date, Aug. 15, has been taken.

Lang said it would be worth it to him to have the show on another weekend if he could still have the show in Prospect Park.

"It's still our first choice," he said.

ehays@nydailynews.com


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Woodstock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1089
Location: Ocala, FL, USA
Wyldflower, I played in McCarron Park in Williamsburgh as a kid, but went to Prospect Park by trolley many times (I'm talking late 40's here, people!). Also saw lots of Dodger games at nearby Ebbets Field through 1957.


mikey


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group