Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

 


Forum rules


Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: General Players Question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:41 pm
  

BlunderVirgin

Joined: Sep 07, 2008
Posts: 3
I was at a local 'Folk Fest' - my chance to get out of the house, maybe learn a thing or two, or more, and see if my playing is entertaining to anyone besides me.
While there, there was a finger picker, put all kinds of runs and riffs in everything he played - sounded real good - made me wish I could play better.
As he was walking away, I did my version of the Tabbed version of Alice's Restaurant.
Ok, I admit, I cheat a little, but I'm still relearning after years of not playing, and wasn't that good back then - but I still think it's ok.
Well, when I got to the little cheat (on the slide from a7 to d7) that I do - he pulled my guitar out of my hands, said 'If you are going to play that, play it right' then proceeded to add about a dozen chords to this simple 4 chord progression.
I asked him to slow it down once so I could see what he was adding, causing his response of 'Just go back to your bedroom where you've been practicing, and figure out for yourself', handed my guitar back to me, then left.
Now, I have always encouraged other players that were just learning, and I always thought that we all belonged to that unique group, and those that could show off would also show others how.
That was several months ago, and for a little while I didn't feel all to good about the experience (this has happened before, and was one of the reasons my old guitar sat in the back of the closet for over ten years), wanted to throw the guitars back in the closet and just forget about it. Was I really that bad? I had played some other songs for the people there, and they seemed to like my off key singing mixed with a few missed chord changes on other songs. I thought it didn't sound too awful bad anyway, and I didn't sing to make it worse.
I still play it 'my way' with the thought that sharing music is what it is all about.
But now I wonder - if I don't 'play it right' - is it a slap to Mr Guthrie?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
I think the simple explaination is that that guy was an asshole! Play and have fun, if only for yourself! :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:24 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
That's not the way around here--stick around; you'll find lots of help from those more talented than I am, and encouragement from those of us who are only "audients" as well.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:29 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1274
Location: Herndon, Virginia
I think he was a whole lot of pompous and definitely an a-hole. Speaking as someone who plays out at open mics, attitudes like that are totally uncalled for...everyone has to start somewhere. New players need encouragement, not criticism from a jerk. So what if you didn't play it his way? Is the sky gonna fall?
Practice. Enjoy yourself! Have fun! Find some buddies to pick with...it makes it a whole lot more fun! Sing loud so people can hear you! Ignore the jerks!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jul 06, 2008
Posts: 2531
Images: 2
Location: Crawfordville, Florida
Larry's absolutely right! (He doesn't hear THAT very often!) (He may exist on the left, but this time he's right). PLAYPLAYPLAY!!! You sound like you're being too tough on yourself.....and you can't get better as long as you leave your box in the closet! Guitars have feelings too---it's time for guitars everywhere to come out of the closet ---that's what George Harrison wrote for his closeted Stratocaster: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and James Taylor's Martin was playing: "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight". And I'll bet you three A7's and a Bm that Arlo is pleased anytime someone like you or me plays one of his songs!!! Welcome to Blunderland johnny!!!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 am
  

ArloNetizen

Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Posts: 32
Location: NS Canada
I agree with everyone else the guy is a proper a-hole.
But in a way I also feel sorry for him in a strange way. If he is that up tight about perfection obviously he does not understand or enjoy music the way it was meant to be.

I am in that guitar out of the closet bunch. Just starting (attempting) to play after many years. It's difficult but I am having lots of fun.

Like everyone says just PLAY PLAY PLAY and above all enjoy it.
To h*ll with what any critics say.
If you feel like playing in a different key or cord substitution than the original tune, then do it. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise.
Remember, music is a reflection of yourself.

I do (try) Arlo's music a lot, I absolutely enjoy doing it. But there are times I don't try it chord for cord. Sometimes, I like to do it the way I feel it.
LOL, I imagine if Arlo was in the room he would crawl under the chair.

But Anyway,don't be bothered by this sort of stuff. Most of us get it at one time or another, and what ever you do don't stop playing.
I can guarantee you,,,,, you will loose a lot more than you gain.

Hang in there :D

Ron


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:20 am
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
from a visual artist...
seems like talking about any kind of art in the same sentence with ..."do it right"... would be a kinda contradiction for alot of artists.... doing it right might be one kind of art... depending on what doing it right means to that artist...

so no worries, your way is perfect...
8)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:54 pm
  

BlunderVirgin

Joined: Sep 07, 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks for all the feedback.
It's kinda how I felt, I was hoping the 'keep playing' outweighed the 'he was pompous'
I've entertained myself for hours relearning, new learning, then at these fairs, sharing with others.
I always get jealous of how others can outplay me, but always share what I learn with others. The sharing is what I get the most from.
I've seen others start after I started relearning, who can now play circles around me. It can get me down, but I haven't stopped yet. I doubt I'll ever be 'that guy' playing, but my only hope is that it's good enough that others feel at least a little of the joy I get from playing.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Now as soon as I figure out this darn mandolin I bought.......


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:36 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
That wasn't right of him to be that way. You gotta encourage the newbies and learners. I play mountain dulcimer & canjo in local bluegrass jams & so far everyone has been accepting of me. Good luck with your playing. I bet you play good... :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:28 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2493
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
Hmm...I always figure if one person enjoys it, it is worth it. Even if that one person is me...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Sometimes I've played so bad that I haved actually booed and thrown rotten vegetation at myself...........but I don't let it stop me!!! :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:23 am
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 04, 2005
Posts: 681
Location: Clintondale, NY
I'm not seeing a good answer for this one.

"Don't touch my guitar" is about the safest I can think of except this may prevent a helpful person from giving you some pointers.

If you continue with an open heart (which is the best way to proceed in life), if you can refuse to accept his bad karma and somehow find a way to feel sorry for him for what he has done to himself (no need to tell him, he knows what he is) these situation will be less upsetting over time.

There's always the "I'm a flat-picker" gambit.

Keep making music. kurt...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:13 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Well, if all else fails, you could use the Pete Townsend method, which is the same one used by the cartoon charactor "El KaBong"! That's where you just smash the guitar over the guys head. I know it may sound violent and extreme, and in general I am one of those peace and love types, but I'm also a hockey player, so.....you know.... :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:11 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 03, 2008
Posts: 339
Location: Belgium
Dont give up Johnny, not for one man . Maybe he had some troubles with his girlfriend or just a bad day :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:59 pm
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 1233
Images: 42
Location: Housatonic, MA
Its those troubles that write the best songs and play the best tunes... :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group