Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:06 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Labels can be misleading, can mean different things to different people, and thier definitions or at least conotations can change over time. As I
have stated before, this seems to be very much the case with the label of "conservative". Conservative in the political sense once meant a fiscal conservative that was for smaller government and less regulation. While to some degree that has not changed in thoery, it has in practice. The goverment has grown along with the deficits under our latest "conservative" president and they have decided to buy stuff without paying for it.
The modern model for a "base" conservative tends to be a social conservative that is very much influenced by religion, pro life issues, anti gay issues and the view that premptive wars are justified.
Some people like to put labels on other people, and some like to put them on themselves. For example, our friend Cheryl when asked for how she defines "conservative" offers no definition, but rather a comparison when she states that a conservative is "like Jerry Falwell or Dubya".(intresting role models to say the least)
Cheryl, I'd still like to hear your definition of conservative and what it means to you. I'd submit that you simply like the label and the charisma of some of those that tout conservatism. I would also submit Cheryl that you are much more like what some of these people SAY they are then what they actually are, and I mean that as a compliment.
It seems to me that many of the conservative preachers and politicians say one thing, but do another in regard to morality and scam well meaning folks into voting against thier own best intrests. I think this is calculated on their part, this defining and creating of a new conservative base. They need to, because over time, conservatism has been and will continue to die a slow but sure death due to the changing demographic of America and the failures to competantly govern as we are seeing now.Base conservatives are largely white folks in a shrinking majority, and we are fast approacing the time when whites will be a minority in America.They know this and are scrambling to hang on.
Now Cheryl, I'll apolgize if my observations seem condescending, But I'd really like to know how you would define conservative, or at least your own brand of conservatism.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:11 pm
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Jul 04, 2007
Posts: 634
And more on conservationism Vs Conservatism:

Palin's conservative stances on social issues were irresistible to some of her foes, but her performance in an October 4, 2006, forum organized by the group Alaska Conservation Voters suggests she is not only comfortable discussing them but adroit at turning the tables.

At the largely nonconfrontational event, the temperature raised a bit when Halcro pointedly quizzed Palin about her position on abortion, implying that her stance on the issue put her at odds with the Alaska constitution.

Even as the audience applauded, apparently in sympathy with Halcro, Palin took the microphone and, without missing a beat, told listeners that "abortion, a sensitive, private issue [was] being used to divide and politicize."

"You know, there are conservation issues that we were going to be talking about today," Palin said, adding with an almost lethal friendliness: "Andrew, bless your heart, you know my position on abortion. I'm pro-life."


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: May 25, 2001
Posts: 3074
Location: Colorado Rocky Mountain High
I'd much rather be "pro-life" than "anti-abortion"
I'd much rather be "pro-peace" than "anti-war"
I'd much rather be "pro" just about anything positive than "anti" anything negative

Work FOR what you believe in... not AGAINST what you don't!

I am still interested in hearing more about your beliefs, Cheryl. I'd like to understand how you came to these beliefs. I hope you take these comments (from me and from others) in the spirit intended.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Oops, I meant that it was probably a minority out of the folks who like Arlo that are conservatives...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:54 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
From UC Berkeley News:
Researchers help define what makes a political conservative

Four researchers who culled through 50 years of research literature about the psychology of conservatism report that at the core of political conservatism is the resistance to change and a tolerance for inequality, and that some of the common psychological factors linked to political conservatism include:

Fear and aggression
Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity
Uncertainty avoidance
Need for cognitive closure
Terror management

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases ... tics.shtml


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:35 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Here's something every voter in the U.S. (and abroad) who is eligable to vote should take note of.

http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:46 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
Captain Zap wrote:

Fear and aggression
Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity
Uncertainty avoidance
Need for cognitive closure
Terror management



I wonder where those conservatives learn these type of behavior? HHMMMM....What kind of AUTHORUTY could create and reinforce such obviously psychotic and paranoid behavior? Got me (scratching my head), I'm stumped? Maybe I can get a grant to drive through the south land (the conservative Heartland) and see if I can figure it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7I1wtPUOtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhcScBdnEhY


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 pm
  

louise wrote:
Here's something every voter in the U.S. (and abroad) who is eligable to vote should take note of.

http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com


I couldn't bring myself to vote for either of them.
If these were our ONLY choices
I'd have to vote AGAINST McCain, obviously,
but I fear it's just Coke vs Pepsi
when what we want and need is champagne.

******
*******


Last edited by Shas on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:52 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 29, 2000
Posts: 1798
Location: El Mirage, AZ
I can't believe I missed this thread. Don't have time to read every post, but did have a thought... isn't it possible to have "conservative leanings" about certain things and not others? Do you add them up and if you have more "conservative" than "other" that makes you a conservative?

I like Wyld's post about being pro (positive) instead of anti (negative).


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:32 pm
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Jul 04, 2007
Posts: 634
I am not sure if you can be half way. Conservatism means conserving as they are. So Terrie, I don't know, but I think it is a great question. Anybody ? I thin Zap put it best?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:07 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
Terrie wrote:
I like Wyld's post about being pro (positive) instead of anti (negative).


Dorothy's mother's (or father's?) sister was anti-Em, anti-Em!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:54 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
I noticed on Dish Network they have a whole channel devoted to Obama but none on McCain. Figured it would be of interest to you guys. Guess who know who Dish Network is supporting. Unless maybe he paid for it to be on there...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:13 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
His campaign paid for that, Cheryl. McWhats-His-Name could rent a cable channel, too, if he wanted.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:23 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 29, 2000
Posts: 1798
Location: El Mirage, AZ
Speaking of "renting" I heard that McPain was selling one of his houses (castles?)... maybe he's finally feeling the financial pinch?


Last edited by Terrie on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: OBAMA 2008
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:51 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
In an interview, McLame said that his military family was always moving as his father was reassigned, etc. He was asked what was the longest that he'd ever lived (stayed) in one place and his answer was five years .... when he was a POW. Maybe he thinks it's time to move. Could be why he said he'd only serve one four year term in the White House. Maybe his campaign theme song should be Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On". It would fit .... in more ways then one!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group