Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

WOW I have some wonderful quilts too. My Dads step-Mom immigrated to the U.S. from Germany when she was about 17. She later married my Grandfather who's family had immigrated from Norway.
Remember I told you about how my Dad's folks lived with his Grandparents in Montana (where Grandma did the chooks in with bread dough). Well they got divorced years after they moved back to Oregon, then Grandpa and his new wife moved back to Mo. for awhile. She and others used to have quilting bees. They used flour sacks and fabrics from old dresses or whatever they could find. So now I have two tulip basket quilts,one of which never went past being just the top and my folks had it backed and quilted for my 21st birthday.
I also now have a beautiful wedding ring quilt that was always on my folks' bed throughout my childhood. And a few others have been given to some of my folks' grandkids. A Sunbonnet Sue and a few others. Also there is a top that will be mine one day that has the name of my Step-Grandmother and the others who pieced it embroidered on it. These quilts would be about 80 years old.

Sue I also am eligable to be a member of DAR but I don't think so! Just not me!

My Great Great Great Grandfather fought with George Washington at the St. Lawrence River during the Revolution. After the war he married my Great Great Great Grandmother who was considered to be one of the "most beautiful ladies of her native state of Connecticut" She was related to a famous General who Stevensburg, Virginia is named after.

My Great Great Great Grandfather also fought in the War or 1812 and survived that one too, only to drown a year after the close of the War, in 1815. They had been living in East Tenn. and had seven children. After he died she moved with her children to Jackson County Missouri. She lived there with one of her sons and his wife, who are my G G Grandparents. She then stayed behind with another son when my G G Grandparents "left for the Oregon country"

I and my family have a wonderful book which was compiled by family members, including my Dad's mother, back in the 50's. It starts with my G G G Grandfather who was born in 1759 and G G G Grandmother who was born in 1768. We have updated our family section to the present. It includes the history of the families of all the seven children up to the 50's. There are lots of great stories and poems written of life on the Oregon Trail and many more. A cherished part of my library.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

WOW Sue and Louise those are great quilt stories, I'm glad I posted mine in order to hear yours. :wink:

and about the DAR thing I believe I'm eligible also but don't know how to go about it or what you need for proof but I had several ancestors who were in the revolution, one of them was at the battle of bunker hill.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Neat stories. That is a nice quilt. Wish I knew how to quilt but I don't lol...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

All I have to do to join is prove my relationship to my great-aunt who was a member. I'm not too interested, tho...on special occasions they like to dress in long formals, wear corsages the size of their heads, and big ribbon sashes like Miss America candidates do... Not my thing or my idea of a good time. I'd rather be pickin' on someone's back porch with friends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:41 am

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
I'm not too interested, tho...on special occasions they like to dress in long formals, wear corsages the size of their heads, and big ribbon sashes like Miss America candidates do... Not my thing or my idea of a good time. I'd rather be pickin' on someone's back porch with friends.

We've traced our families back; I'm DAR-eligible, and Jay is for the SAR; also I'm eligible for the DRT (Daughters of the Republic of Texas--similar kind of org.).

Wouldn't it be a hoot if we started a movement for like-minded, eligible people to join those organizations and show up with our jeans and guitars and *revolutionary* ideas about democracy and such ... 8) Take 'em back to the real point of it all ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

My family contributed cannon fodder in the Carolina campaigns back in 1780-something. I am probably not eligible as they were just Irish trash! Protestant though, that's got to count for something!

Good story though...A lot of POst WWII Latvian immigrants live in the Susquehana valley and I have a good Latvian friend (Swaks lik Evwa!) whose uncle passed a few years back. He was something like 95 or so. Arnis asked "do you think he'll get a military funeral?" I asked "he was in the army?'..."Ya he helped keep than Danzig corridor open in 1945!"

You get it, The Danzig Corridor open in '45!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I received the DAR medal for Americanism when I graduated from high school.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, that was kinda my point, Ceashel...every now and then,I see photos in the paper from some of their stuff going on (headquarters is just across the Potomac in DC) and the duded-up formality, especially in today's economy, is kind of ridiculous. But, there's a LOT that's ridiculous about goings on in DC! I vote for guitars and jeans and democracy!
I've done flowers for huge weddings held in DAR Hall in DC...I was told a few years ago ( before I delivered the flowers) that for floral deliveries and setup, I had to be wearing things that came under their standards of acceptability. It wasn't that big a deal (khaki slacks, black shirt) but their focus on appearances really makes me wonder about the organization. And whether the people picking up the garbage had to be wearing the khaki slacks and black shirt, too, or they couldn't take it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It is not about the people that actually died? My ancestors died for a cotillion?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:27 am

Arlo Fanatic

I'd join that jeans one too Shel! The regular DAR would probably kick me out!
Their motto is "GOD, Home and Country" even tho they say you are eligible to join no matter your race, RELIGION or ethnic background. So what do they do if you follow NO religion or if your a Pagan etc?

IT was only in 1984 that they changed their by-laws to bar discrimination on basis of race or creed becauce they were threatened with losing their tax exemption by the D.C. City Council after discriminating against a black woman. (remember also the Marion Anderson thing in the 30's when Eleanore Roosevelt resigned her membership).

Happy Constitution Week (220th Birthday)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

I don't think that the constitution has much to be happy about this week.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

I agree with Sue. I'd rather be picking music than dressedup in some formal wear stuff. The last time I wore a long to the ground dress was when I got married in 86. Well, at the Arlo show in Columbus, OH I did wear a longer maxi dress (I hemmed it up a bit so I wasn't tripping over it & it being so much to the ground) but it was a hippie looking one with spaghetti straps on it...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:43 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I vote we start our own DAR group here, it could be a movement.....
I have/had no idea what the DAR does but I have no interest in dressing like that and going to meetings and whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

1purpledragon wrote:
I vote we start our own DAR group here, it could be a movement.....
I have/had no idea what the DAR does but I have no interest in dressing like that and going to meetings and whatever.

Can I join, even though my family didn't come to the US until the 1920's???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think you qualify...you're a daughter, and American!