Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

louise wrote:
I think there might be a very experienced editor living among us? :wink:
Well, I don't know about all of that, but I do know one who's job-hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Ceashel wrote:
louise wrote:
I think there might be a very experienced editor living among us? :wink:
Well, I don't know about all of that, but I do know one who's job-hunting.

That was the shortest retirement west of the Mississippi!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I've got some pretty deep roots in the Bloomington, Indiana area. Anyone's family that has been there for a couple of generations...we're probably related somewheres. The roots stretch back to the 1700's, when people settled in Indiana after moving from VA, PA, NC and PA.
Back during the depression, times were hard. My dad's parents (my Woolery side) had a farm outside the city limits of Bloomington. They had a huge garden, raised cattle and sheep, goats and chickens for cash and for the table. There was a family-run limestone mill (Woolery Stone Mill) that my grandfather, his brothers and other family members operated, cutting stone for many uses, including for the Empire State Building in NY and the National Cathedral in DC. (if you've ever seen the movie, "Breaking Away" the limestone mill shots were all done at Woolery Stone Mill.)
With the hard times of the depression, with four kids to feed, there was not a lot of cash sitting in their pockets. They enjoyed getting together with family, though...it was common to have friends and family visit, and my grandmother was a great hostess who kept her family and guests well fed from what they were able to raise on the farm. She was known for making fabulous pies, and I remember my grandfather telling me he only liked three kinds of her pie...hot pie,warm pie and cold pie! He was also the one who told me that when you bake bread, you didn't have to wash your hands first because the bread dough would pull all the dirt out of your hands when you kneaded it. Hmmm...it was advice I've never followed!
One of my grandfather's relative families were Burtons...the family came to VA from England around the time of Jamestown, and a wayward son of the VA Burtons ended up in the Clear Creek Indiana area, close to Bloomington, where several generations of hard working Burtons grew up.
My GF's uncle, Joe Burton was living with his sister Phoebe, a widow. Occasionally, Joe would show up at the gate to my grandfather's farm, and my grandfather would run out there and give him money and send him on his way...even when money was scarce. My dad and siblings asked why he sent Joe away, and my grandfather told them that "he was a horse thief and he didn't want him around you kids."
Years later, we found out that not only was he a horse thief, he was also the town pimp...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

great story Sue!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Musta been some pretty lonely farmers and cowboys around there if he was pimping horses. :shock: :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:10 am

Senior ArloNetizen

ROTF!!!! :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah! That must have been back in the days of the wild, wild mid-West.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

These were some wild women who had a patriot's dream..In the stone wall surrounding the graveyard in the middle of Indiana University's campus there is a three-faced stone upon the surface of which are carved the names of three  Brewster sisters, Ellenor Brewster Dunn, mother of the original owners of the land, Jennet Brewster Irvin and Agnes Brewster Alexander. These sisters were pioneers of the Shenandoah valley in Virginia and were born subjects of King George of England. During the Revolutionary war, they and their families gave important assistance to Washington and his army while  the sisters and families were living in Pennsylvania. They  sheared their sheep out of season, spun, wove and fashioned stockings and garments for the soldiers who had been starving, freezing and leaving bloody footprints in the snow.  When the army was stationed in their vicinity, they cooked food for them. As soon as one batch of food was cooked and on its way to the soldiers, the women prepared another batch. They kept their bread ovens full...baking bread for the soldiers around the clock.  They were also known to have melted some of their cooking utensils for ammunition for the colonial effort.   This was kept up for days at a time, and they gladly did everything they could to help the war effort, including carrying messages for Washington under their skirts. Later the sisters moved with their families to Kentucky and from there to Indiana, settling in the small village of Bloomington. When the sisters died they were interred in "God's Acre," the little cemetery on the banks of the River Jordan and in the heart of what is now the Indiana University campus.   I'm a descendant of Agnes Brewster...the sisters were decendants of Elder William Brewster who arrived on the Mayflower. .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:17 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Great story Sue, Do you know where they originally came from on the Mayflower? I don't know if all of the Mayflower travellers where from the same country or if the were form all different places.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

William Brewster was from Nottinghamshire, England...I think most Pilgrims on the Mayflower were from England.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:34 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Nottinghamshire, is that the place were Robin Hood lived? I think it's fantastic that you know so much about your family.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

Genealogy research has been a hobby for quite awhile...I built on what a great-aunt compiled years ago when she wanted to join the DAR. With the Ancestry.com website and computers, it's made research so much easier.
With some of the families we connect to (like the Burtons of VA) they came here with a little cash and were able to buy property...so records for that exist. Some of the Burtons were very litigeous, and would sue each other over the value of a stolen pumpkin, and records for that (and their wills ) still exist.
Some of the skeletons come out of the closet occasionally...there's some wierdness, too..like one Indiana Burton relative who was buried standing up, with a jug of whiskey at his feet and his favorite rifle at his side. He's kind of at an angle because the bedrock was in the way and they didn't wish to blow the whole cemetary away with dynamite. There's plenty of tragedy, illegitimate births, and so on, but the stories can be fascinating. And seeing as genealogy is based on the assumption that the men fathered the children of the wife (the assumption being, that women didn't fool around with the hired help or friendly neighbor while the husband was off hunting or something) so what you find may not even be reality, as it was because the people involved were human, and we all know that sometimes the father on the records isn't the REAL father...and you'll never know the real story. All we know is what was written in bibles and in official records,. and they don't always tell the human part of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I was working on a quilt this afternoon and realized I have a little story to share.
about 60 years ago my grandmother started working on some embroidery of the 48 state birds and flowers. the birds and flowers were to be cut into squares and made into a quilt. My grandmothers mother told her she would never finish the project. Her mother was right, my grandmother passed away about 15 years ago and about 5 years ago I decided to pick up where she left off. I finished all the embroidery then put the project aside because I didn't know what I wanted for alternating blocks and background fabric. I found the perfect fabric a couple months ago it has the 50 states birds and flowers on it.
I may not finish the project for a while but the top is almost complete.
so thats my story about my 60 year old quilt.
here is a pic before I started cutting the squares.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That is wonderfully out of this world.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:45 am

Arlo Fanatic

When my mother in law Laurine was a teenager towards the end of the '30's, her Danish grandmother started a quilt for her, using pieces of Laurine's outgrown dresses that she'd worn to school as a young girl. Grandma got as far as piecing the top. Laurine's mother also worked on it after Grandma died, and it got set aside at some point. When Laurine's mother passed away eighteen years ago, we found the quilt top in a small chest of drawers when we were cleaning out the house. Laurine took posession of it, after telling us the story of the quilt top, and how it had passed down from her grandmother to her mother. Years passed, and we never gave it another thought.
Christmas 2004 was the last Christmas we had with Laurine...she was terminal with lung cancer, and was very close to the end of her life. She presented our daughter Laura with a large package. Laura opened it, and found a lovely completed quilt; Laurine had found fabric to match for the quilt back, and she found someone to put it together and quilt the layers together in lovely feather patterns. There had been enough fabric cut in pieces left over from her dresses that a nice border had been added. The story of the quilt was written out and fused to the back. She had planned to present it to Laura when she married, but that wasn't going to happen before she passed away. She passed about a month later. Laura loves the quilt, started by her great- great grandmother, worked on and carefully saved by her great grandmother, completed with the help of her Grandma Schier and given to her.