Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Related Artist Links

Post subject: Alan Ginsberg
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was just watching the Byrds of Paradise on YouTube. This didn't make it into a TV near me so it's the first. I love it.

Anyway, Arlo did the Dylan rap and mentions Ginsberg.

Mr. G. came to our college and stayed in the cabins in the park on the hill. I was invited up and we sat on the floor with me playing nylon and him improvising a rap. Being a serious classical folkie, I was noodling three finger. He stopped and looked at me real deep, then grabbed my left hand on the fret. He forced it into the position for the memphis pull off blues lick and then strummed it while I fretted. And when that worked, he told me to strum. And strum I did. He smiled and went back to his improv sure that my lack of skill would not mess up his timing.

A dear guy, he said some pretty cool things to me that night to get me on the path. And I can honestly say, Ginsberg taught me to play the blues. I never got good at it so while he could roll the stone, he couldn't fix my being a block from Slate's Quarry.

Life is good. Life is short. The stone rolls down hill. Help a kid who has to push it back to the top of the hill. He did.

Post subject: Re: Alan Ginsberg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:56 pm

BlunderVirgin

Oh man, it must have been amazing to meet him. It was actually Arlo mentioning him on the show that introduced me to his work, and then my English teacher showed me some of his stuff, and I just loved it. It was like nothing I'd ever read.

Post subject: Re: Alan Ginsberg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It was. A nice guy and quite kind. He was hitting on me a bit but as a nightclub solo player with a gay following, I was used to that. He was honest about it and charming. It's neat to meet the magick people.