Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Re: Mud Season 2021
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:02 am

The Folkslinger

Foggy here this morning... a good sign of it warming up (altho not by much). Waiting for the sounds of spring peepers outside by the ponds. Still snow on the ground, but not for long.

On another note: I'm getting closer to deleting all my FB accounts and while I don't expect an inundation here, I think there will be a few who decide to check out this space. Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Probably not much. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:22 am

Site Admin

No fog here,not even in my head.The temps have been just a bit above freezing during the day and below at night still.Snow is slowly melting,seeing more mud and grey and less white..Which is a good thing and maybe the flood zones along the Ottawa R will get a break this year,Always hard to tell though as levels do not rise usually until a week or two after our snow is gone and the run off from further north makes its way here.Greening up is just around the corner!!

Never have been one to facebook much.Have noticed a lot of folks sending out messages that they are bailing out lately though.Just the way it goes I guess ,people come and go .Maybe some will find their way back here to Arlo's original home on the net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Wee bit chilly and overcast here, with a bit of drizzle.

I would check out Arlo's Face book from time to time (I feel like I'm talking about Arlo while he is standing right here in the same circle), but lately I can barely see any face book pages at all. It MIGHT work for a minute, but the next thing you know, login required to continue (on public pages). I don’t know.

Anyhow, hello!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 pm

The Folkslinger

First day of Spring! And right on cue, the first robin of the season showed up in a tree outside my window. Another couple of weeks to go until the snow finally gives up and departs (unless, of course, we get a new batch). It seems like we're heading into another Spring after all - not just on the calendar, but actual Spring. Funny how that works. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Robins are here year round. I look at them all sideways like they do me.

Saw 2 HUGE pileated woodpeckers the other day authenticating a snag. hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:25 am

The Folkslinger

I think our robins are year round here too, but they go off into forest - different food source so we don't see them. I haven't talked to each one personally so maybe a few head south when it gets cold, and return as it warms up. Either way it's great seeing them back in plain sight. The one I saw was still kind of ruffled up, not smooth feathered like they are on warmer days. My guess is he was just checking out the scene getting ready for a change in diet - A robin version of mud season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 am

Site Admin

Well I guess I need to get out more :roll: .We have had our covid status here go up,not in full lock down but more restrictions in place.From my vantage point more mud then snow now in the fields around me.I have not seen robin's or other spring birds.Just the pigeons that are always around and now with all the mud the ducks and geese are back foraging the farm fields for leftovers they missed last fall.Nice and sunny and low 40's this morning and looking to warm up close to 60 today.I may just have to grab the camera and head out on the ebike for a spin and see whats around for seeing. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, with a forest nearby, I can see why the robins would run off to there in the winter.

There is a park that is not too far from here and that is where I saw the 2 giant woodpeckers foraging away on that dead tree. There was a small type of woodpecker there too, all three of them there minding their own business foraging away. Every now and again I will see a pileated woodpecker right outside, but these were HUGE.
I see hawks and falcons around. One time I looked out and saw a hawk the size of a large cat just sat there. Took me by surprise to see it was a hawk. I stopped and was looking and his big head turned around and he lifted off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Site Admin

..and Hello to you .

agnes wrote:
Wee bit chilly and overcast here, with a bit of drizzle.

I would check out Arlo's Face book from time to time (I feel like I'm talking about Arlo while he is standing right here in the same circle), but lately I can barely see any face book pages at all. It MIGHT work for a minute, but the next thing you know, login required to continue (on public pages). I don’t know.

Anyhow, hello!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 am

The Folkslinger

I forgot when mud season ends, 'cause it's been a long time since I've been here at the farm this time of year. But, we're in it now. Looks like rain coming for about a week. that's when we put on the wrestling gear I guess. That or watch the robins looking for muddy worms. There's buds on the trees, birds coming back into view. And I'm rummaging through plant catalogs. Could be worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 am

Site Admin

Good morning world,Well some of the birds have been back around here a few days but this morning was the first so far this year that I woke up to chirping of spring birds :).Not much sign of the fauna coming back to life yet but very little snow left in the fields and some area's are/were drying up.Look's like today will be a first real spring rain day for year.Mother nature's spring clean,bring it on!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

This brought a smile

adg wrote:
......... That or watch the robins looking for muddy worms. There's buds on the trees, birds coming back into view. And I'm rummaging through plant catalogs. Could be worse.

I love hearing that kind of, gradual burst of emerging bird sounds this time of year.

There have been all kind of things roaming around here all year.

What concerns me is that more and more of their habitat has become just commodities. (in whatever form)

People complain that the animals have taken over their vegetable gardens. They didn’t used to.

I remember having so many tomatoes (for example) that sharing them with family, neighbours, and even friends in nearby businesses (for their own table) was the next best thing!

In a global commitment to coexist, we could make it work. I think it is amazing that we, and all this are here. It seems crazy to me to not make that effort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It is funny, whenever I have heard dove songs from a distance, it sounds very singular and clear. But when they are right smack outside the window, you can hear an almost gravelly, but really a more textured reeded sound. It is really rich!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I suppose if I am to hold up my end of the discussion about mud I could recall…

I was at one of your outdoor shows, Arlo. It was kind of informal, and there was a lot of mud. It was after the concert and you were on the stage messing with something and so I wandered over, threw a hand up in the air and said, “Hi”. You said, “Hi” back and I was about to turn around and go but then you asked me if I was muddy enough? It took me off guard and I started examining my hands front and back, then checking over my arms and working my way downward saw that my boots were all covered with mud and so I said, “Yeah…” and I was about to turn around and go when you said, “No you're not” and I think I closed one eye and looked at you out the other and then you said, “You’re just getting started”. Theoretically that sounded like a challenge so I gave a look ever so slightly that says something like, “Well you feel froggy? Boiii….!” We both got a wee chuckle and I wandered off cuz that was about all I could handle at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:25 am

The Folkslinger

A Twofer. Full Worm Moon and someone who knows a little about it.

No mud on the moon - So they say.