Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Back To The Farm
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:49 pm

The Folkslinger

For the last few days we've been moving steadily eastward across the northern tier. Eventually, in less than a week, I'll be back on the farm in The Berkshires (western Massachusetts). I haven't been home there since last November (2018). We still tend to keep moving a lot of the year. It's been like this for decades, so nothing new. But, I do miss the days back about 30 years ago when I could stay in one place long enough to get used to the seasons coming and going.

The old farm house is going through some needed renovations. And we're hoping it'll all be done sometime this coming summer. I love the smell of sawdust in the morning. Meanwhile, we've got a little more wandering to do. One coming up in Wyoming, and a couple in Colorado. These are coming up quickly, so they may be done by the time you find yourself reading this.

There's some really fun gigs coming up with The Boston Pops, at Symphony Hall in Boston. And a few more in the New England area this summer. But, mostly, I'll be back on the farm, trying to enjoy the comforts of home - seeing my kitty, getting some summer sun, lounging around, and taking pix of places near and dear. Marti and I will be back on the mountain planting flowers, enjoying the occasional visitors, and heading to our favorite hang-outs on my bike.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it. See you somewhere...

Post subject: Re: Back To The Farm
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 pm

The Folkslinger

It looks like we'll be heading straight to Boston from our last show in Ft. Collins, CO and not go directly to the farm as planned. Just not enough time to get everything in order. So that pushes the time when I get to the Berkshires back by about a week. No worries, it's not the first time we've had to take our time getting home. I will have our cement pond opened up ASAP so when I finally get there, it'll be ready spaghetti. Nothing quite like like diving into some cold water on a spring morning (as long as there's a hot cup of coffee nearby). Also nothing like hearing the spring peepers lull you to sleep with their songs and stories.

Right now we're in Sheridan, Wyoming. Famous for a lot of things, especially Buffalo Bill. When I was 13 an antique collector in Clearwater, Florida gave me a jacket that had once been owned by Buffalo Bill himself. I still have it. I wore it a lot when I was in high school, at least for a while. I don't think it would fit anymore. Aw well...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

add wrote:
... Also nothing like hearing the spring peepers lull you to sleep with their songs and stories.

<3

A woodpecker has made a place in a tree just under a jutting mushroom (an awning)

<3

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:39 am

ArloNetizen

Get to see your kitty? How long has it been, not since November 2018, and who is taking care of said kitty while all the renovations are being done and you are on the road? That was a long sentence. Sorry. I have kitties, I left them once for 4 nights and boy were they cranky when we got back. Keep on having a great time on the road. Sending joy to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:34 pm

The Folkslinger

leenski wrote:
Get to see your kitty? How long has it been, not since November 2018, and who is taking care of said kitty while all the renovations are being done and you are on the road? That was a long sentence. Sorry. I have kitties, I left them once for 4 nights and boy were they cranky when we got back. Keep on having a great time on the road. Sending joy to you.

Although I haven't been there since November, there's always people at the farm, which is also our offices. So the kitty has visitors all the time. But, she likes it when I get home. And she likes doing her own thing ruling the roost by herself.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:30 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
leenski wrote:

Although I haven't been there since November, there's always people at the farm, which is also our offices. So the kitty has visitors all the time. But, she likes it when I get home. And she likes doing her own thing ruling the roost by herself.

Like all kitties, they own you, you don’t own them. Glad she has company. Gotta love the kitties.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:29 am

The Folkslinger

My kitty is named Cantina (she named herself). She's been around for years now, outlasting others who've come and gone. She's always been curious about everything I'm doing, although she tends to keep to herself much of the time. She also enjoys going out for photo forays with me, but generally she's an inside cat, which is probably why she's been around for so long. We live in the country, with nothing nearby, and some of the creatures in the forests find kittys quite yummy. So our outside cats don't tend to survive. Cantina is a holdout, and we love her for that. I can't wait to see her!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:43 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
My kitty is named Cantina (she named herself). She's been around for years now, outlasting others who've come and gone. She's always been curious about everything I'm doing, although she tends to keep to herself much of the time. She also enjoys going out for photo forays with me, but generally she's an inside cat, which is probably why she's been around for so long. We live in the country, with nothing nearby, and some of the creatures in the forests find kittys quite yummy. So our outside cats don't tend to survive. Cantina is a holdout, and we love her for that. I can't wait to see her!

I have 2 kitties, one is called Clover, she weighs 7 lbs, the other is Buddy (he chose his name), he weighs 16 lbs. He plays too hard and bites Clover once in awhile, but she schools him for it. That little girl can slam the big boy to the floor when she wants, then he gets up and walks away. Silly to watch them. They were both rescues and they are indoor kitties. We live in the mountains around San Francisco and there are coyotes and raccoons who would love to have tasty kitty treats. My kitties are only 7 years old. Enjoy Cantina when you get there. Enjoy your home, hope the renovations are going well. Love sent.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:14 pm

The Folkslinger

House looks like it’s coming along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:15 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
House looks like it’s coming along!

That’s wonderful about the house. Look forward to seeing new pix. I love the quote you put up “all I know is that without you, I am without me. What a beautiful statement. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

The Folkslinger

New pix will come! It’s a good time of year. Can’t wait to get there. Plenty construction pix plus the usual. Lilacs etc. luckily I’ll have most of my cameras with me. All will be good and picturesque

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
New pix will come! It’s a good time of year. Can’t wait to get there. Plenty construction pix plus the usual. Lilacs etc. luckily I’ll have most of my cameras with me. All will be good and picturesque

Can’t wait for the pix.
So I am trying to decide what new or well loved acoustic I should buy. The little guitar I bought to learn on I can’t stand the sound. Three nylon strings and 3 steel strings, makes a twangy sound. I’m a bit of a snob about sound having been raised with so much music. I will say I love a full rich warm sound. I played a Gibson for a bit when I was a teen and I loved it but it is currently being played by my cousin. It was only loaned to me. Do you have a favorite maker or wood? Please help a neophyte guitar player out. Just looking for some guidance. Can’t afford thousands. So up to a $1000.00 is ok. Appreciate your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:37 am

The Folkslinger

I haven't tried them all, but Taylor and Takamine are probably good places to start, don't know what's available there as I don't actually use either one, but I've heard good things about them both. Maybe there's something within the price range you're interested in. The Martin and Gibson I use I got a long time ago, and probably couldn't afford these days myself. But both are wonderful instruments.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm

The Folkslinger

Martin also makes a mahogany top and sides guitar. Very mellow sound and easy to play. Not as pricey as their Spruce top guitars. I have one I love, but no ideas about prices

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
Martin also makes a mahogany top and sides guitar. Very mellow sound and easy to play. Not as pricey as their Spruce top guitars. I have one I love, but no ideas about prices

Thank you so much for the advice. I plan on shopping soon. I like the mahogany top and sides. There is a store in San Jose that has a wealth of different guitars and they seem very knowledgeable. They recommend you play them. The cost these days is crazy. But there are some that are only in the hundreds. A really good Gibson or Martin can start are 4-5 thousand. Yikes. My cousins Gibson in the 60’s was In the hundreds. Oh how time and demand has changed things. I did love the sound of your guitars at the recent concert I attended. I truly appreciate your time and consideration. Thanks again friend.