Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 am

The Folkslinger

Out of the cold snowy weather and back again along the Indian River! What a difference a day makes. Arrived late last night at the old CrabHouse in Roseland, FL and ready for the cement salt water pond as soon as the sun warms up the morning chill. Got my coffee in hand. I've been away from here for about 6 months as we traveled around the country finishing up our Re:Generation Tour and began the last year of our Alice's Restaurant - Back By Popular Demand Tour. Everyone in the band and crew are now home for the holidays, and I'm finally back on the river until we pick the tour up again in mid January.

This morning I rambled onto the deck over-looking the river. No big sunrise pix, just another day breathing the humid river air, and being thankful to be able to trade in the old boots for some sandals (if that). One of the reasons I love being on the river, unlike the ocean, is that there's all kinds of creatures in plain sight. In the coming weeks I'll be stalking them with a camera or two. If I capture something interesting I'll share it with anyone interested, as I have to assume anyone reading this falls into the mildly interested category of friends.

Unlike FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram or anything like the huge social media sites, arlo.net is much much personal and uniquely us and has been around longer than anything else out there. The mildly curious don't show up here very often. In fact most folks elsewhere don't even know this exists.

So, here we are. The year is coming to a close as the holidays are upon us - Happy Chanuka, Merry Christmas, and yippie to everyone finding something to celebrate. I love holidays of any kind. As far as I'm concerned we need as many reasons to celebrate as we can find. And that's my only immediate plan. Next up: Celebrate more coffee. Then everybody into the pool! A few weeks of this and I'll be ready to get back to the work of saving the world. For the moment, the work will be in your hands. Be well, stay happy and have fun.

Attachment:
File comment: Pool Time
AGT30438.2.jpg
AGT30438.2.jpg [ 4.2 MiB | Viewed 16412 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

add wrote:
One of the reasons I love being on the river, unlike the ocean, is that there's all kinds of creatures in plain sight. In the coming weeks I'll be stalking them with a camera or two. If I capture something interesting I'll share it with anyone interested, as I have to assume anyone reading this falls into the mildly interested category of friends.

hahaha….

i’m sure we would love to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 pm

The Folkslinger

If I get any creatures into the lenses I'll send 'em along. Unfortunately, the one osprey I kept photographing was electrocuted earlier this year - got caught in there wires on the pole. At least I think that was him. That was pretty sad. But, he's got lots of friends. Beautiful birds. So, I'll keep shooting pix and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
If I get any creatures into the lenses I'll send 'em along. Unfortunately, the one osprey I kept photographing was electrocuted earlier this year - got caught in there wires on the pole. At least I think that was him. That was pretty sad. But, he's got lots of friends. Beautiful birds. So, I'll keep shooting pix and see what happens.

yeah that is sad.

i was running some errands and was noticing the crows, “wow, those are some big crows,,,that’s a really big crow!,,,,actually that’s a falcon! (or a small hawk)” who tilted and made a beam toward a loft of pigeons resting on some wires causing an explosion of pigeons expanding out into the air, then after settling back onto the wire.
,,,man it was dramatic! but there were no casualties

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

yeah that is sad.

i was running some errands and was noticing the crows, “wow, those are some big crows,,,that’s a really big crow!,,,,actually that’s a falcon! (or a small hawk)” who tilted and made a beam toward a loft of pigeons resting on some wires causing an explosion of pigeons expanding out into the air, then after settling back onto the wire.

We had a nesting pair of osprey atop a telephone/power pole out in front of the house. I heard a loud noise, and checked. The explosion blew the top of the pole completely off, along with all the wires and birds. Firemen had a tough time and had to cut into the pole, as it was burning from the inside. Never saw the birds again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

yeah that is sad.

We had a nesting pair of osprey atop a telephone/power pole out in front of the house. I heard a loud noise, and checked. The explosion blew the top of the pole completely off, along with all the wires and birds. Firemen had a tough time and had to cut into the pole, as it was burning from the inside. Never saw the birds again.

wow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am

The Folkslinger

Back in March 2018, the top of the telephone/power pole with its cross bars and wires was completely blown off in an explosion probably caused when one of the nesting birds touched the power lines . The fire dept and the power company showed up to put out the resulting fire, and to attach new wires to the new poll. The old one couldn't be saved. Neither could the bird(s).

Attachment:
XE208139.JPG
XE208139.JPG [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 16355 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:49 am

The Folkslinger

I was gonna upload some creature pix this morning, but a red warning came up saying that the picture quota for this section had been reached. I didn't know there was a quota! Guess you'll have to take my word for it - The pelicans were in a feeding frenzy yesterday. And I took a few photos of them. Not exceedingly interesting, but aside from the usual self portraits (some already posted), there wasn't much going on. I love when something is happening on the river. There're dolphins that come in close and my neighbors little dogs go nuts, barking and running around. So, we usually know when there's dolphins in the area. But they're really hard to photograph. Then there's the feathered friends... Also hard to catch a good picture, well because they're birds and they move quickly. Not much in the skies themselves this morning, cloudy off in the distance, but looks like it'll be a nice day eventually. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:12 pm

The Folkslinger

adg wrote:
I was gonna upload some creature pix this morning, but a red warning came up saying that the picture quota for this section had been reached. I didn't know there was a quota! Guess you'll have to take my word for it - The pelicans were in a feeding frenzy yesterday. And I took a few photos of them. Not exceedingly interesting, but aside from the usual self portraits (some already posted), there wasn't much going on. I love when something is happening on the river. There're dolphins that come in close and my neighbors little dogs go nuts, barking and running around. So, we usually know when there's dolphins in the area. But they're really hard to photograph. Then there's the feathered friends... Also hard to catch a good picture, well because they're birds and they move quickly. Not much in the skies themselves this morning, cloudy off in the distance, but looks like it'll be a nice day eventually. So far, so good.

Dave - The Wizard - says he's slowly updating the site. Maybe picture quotas will be improved in the updated versions of the software... might take some time, but that'd be nice.