Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Spring 2023 Yippie!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:20 pm

The Folkslinger

March 20, 2023 marks the first astronomical day of spring. I'll take it. Meteorologically, spring began March 1st. Coulda fooled me. But in either case the days are getting longer, more day light, less night time. I'm still looking out my window at a few feet of snow. There's friends on the left coast with 10 times that or more. And there's friends down the road a few miles with not much at all. Happy equinox to anyone reading this.... :)

adg

Post subject: Re: Spring 2023 Yippie!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy equinox to you too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:12 pm

The Folkslinger

My initial post was 3 weeks ago, and despite the warmer weather, it isn't really spring yet. Having said that: The first American Gold-Finches appeared today (so did other finches). Maybe they know something I don't know. They mighta been scouting out nesting areas before it gets too crazy. On our drive back to the hills from Boston last week, it didn't look much different from here. But, before ya know it, it'll be summer. It can change over night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It seems to change overnight every other day or so

Been saying hello to some bess beetles.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:57 am

The Folkslinger

Well the snow is all gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return, but it's gonna have to do it soon or it'll be too warm. I've seen it snow in July - But that was once in my 50+ years of being here on the hill. We're getting ready to play in the garden. Actually, Marti plays in the dirt and I just comment from the rocking chair. We're opening up the cement pond and getting ready for summer. Leaves are just about out on the trees. Got my cameras ready for summer pix. It's all happening now.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:01 pm

Site Admin

I remember we had a weird snow when just a kid and likely in July prob early 70's. Well snow is gone here as well,the last of it melted off in last couple weeks and we are a few days in to a week long of rain.Problem now is the north of us is as usual a little behind so the rain here and the melt water of the north are making its way into the Ottawa River system and causing havoc along the way.We are approaching record 2017 levels,The park ADG has played here in the past is under water.Trees are budding,but we sure could use some sun,c'mon summer!!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy Full Moon! (almost)

Sir and Madame :) !

And Sparkydon too! And everyone else!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:05 am

Site Admin

Thank you Agnes and same to you and everyone else.I did get a peek at the moon last night just before midnight,A sunny morning here..Hopefully the river keepers have called it right and flood levels have peaked today. The last weeks weather has added to the winter and covid induced "cabin fever" Think a bit of a hike along the river is in order,

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think there is a faerie festival coming up. Not sure that I would go this year
and it has been a while since I have been to one, but it is nice to know they are
happening again. Sometime during the lockdown I remembered I had a faerie
documentary DVD I’d gotten from a lady who had very much to do with its production
so I watched it, and I recognize pretty much everyone in it, and I started to cry a little bit.
(I do have a sensitive side you know) :)
Anyway, I do hope that you enjoy a walk along the river soon!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:22 pm

The Folkslinger

I've been returning to the farm every time it starts getting too hot in Florida. Don't get me wrong I love where we are down south, but being up in the hills is really hard to beat. We did a major renovation a few years ago. Same footprint (sorta). It's kind of like the end of The Jerk (the movie). It got bigger, so there's just more of what it was.

We didn't used to have or need AC up here decades ago. It got hot for a couple of weeks in August. That was it. But, it's been changing. Just today I replaced an old AC unit (the old one died). They're still working on it. But in a day or two it'll be fabulous. Maybe I'm just getting older but I like having it these days.

Bring on the summer. I'm ready for ya.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The honeysuckles are in bloom. I could smell them before I even saw them! I love how they smell.

When I was little my mom showed me how to get the nectar. If when I was little, I knew the word mystical, I would have said,
“(something, something) …mystical…(something, something).” :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 am

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
Bring on the summer. I'm ready for ya.

The annual Holland Tulip Festival is on now! May, 11, 12 & 13. :D Happy folks from Wales Hollow, Dutch Town, Yorkshire and surrounding area will be joining the festivities. This isn't the Holland that's across the pond. Rather, it's Holland NY; about 35 miles South East of Buffalo. Couldn't ask for better weather either. Well, that's not exactly true. I could ask. But considering the forecast is for sunny skies and above average temperatures, I'm a happy camper. 8)