Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Legends of Folk Music

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:06 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
I just found out John Stewart of the Kingston Trio has died.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080120/ap_ ... cBaihY24cA

http://www.kingstontrio.com/html/kt_news.htm

I have an 8 track tape of him I got while in high school. I wonder if Arlo knew him. RIP...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:46 pm
  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFRCnuO4c7Q

the lonesome picker will be missed deeply by this fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhmS05geyU&feature=user


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9URT_PIPyI&NR=1


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
I just found out that Larry Norman who was in the 60's group People & was also a gospel singer has died of heart trouble. Peoples big hit was a remake of the Zombies "I Love You". I had an 8 track of him yrs ago and the 45 of the People version of "I Love You"...

http://larrynorman.com/

RIP...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1883
Location: Wantagh, NY
Danny Federici of the E Street Band passed away yesterday, due to Melanoma...

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

Sandy will never be the same without him... :cry:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:49 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Eddy Arnold passed on. Arlo covered his Anytime song. RIP...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:57 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Folksinger Utah Phillips had died. I just found out about it on an Autoharp list I belong to. Rip. I wonder if Arlo knew him. I watched some vids of him online the other day & it looked like he liked to tell stories kinda like Arlo...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:33 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1274
Location: Herndon, Virginia
That's really sad news...we were going to have a concert with him a couple of years ago at our local Folk Club, but it was scheduled around the time that he became ill. I had been keeping track through a website, and I knew he wasn't doing well. The world is a little poorer for the loss.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:36 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
very sad about Utah Phillips...
saw a 2004 long interview with him on Democracy now this AM... he was quite an interesting guy....
http://www.democracynow.org


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:43 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
Utah's home page has the official obit and comments from family members.

http://www.utahphillips.org/


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:55 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8364
remembering bo diddley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=979rwnVPG4A


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:20 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Was so sorry to hear about him. They announced it on Oldies 107.3 & played a few of his songs. Rip...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Folk Comedian
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
His "music" had no notes, but what he said resounded with truth and made us laugh and THINK. (And he would say I am full of shit.) George Carlin, dead at 71. Goodbye, Hippie Dippy Weatherman. Todd must be throwing you a BIG party right now--talk about kindred spirits!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ina7M8zC1QQGSxe-e-PxBrf9kl0gD91FORCO3


Last edited by Ceashel on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:01 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1274
Location: Herndon, Virginia
That's sad...we were doing some furniture moving tonight, and we had to clear out our LP record collection in preparation for a painter coming tomorrow. The last record I handled was a George Carlin record, and I stood there (about 10 pm) reading what was on it, and thinking I should listen to it again. I had no idea he had just passed away.

I hate it when people randomly pop into my mind...people I haven't thought of in months or years...and find out later that day on the news that they've just died. This has happened too many times for me to count.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:27 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
I remember the George Carlin / John Prine tour. It seemed the most strange coupling to me until I went. It was one of the best shows ever! A true iconoclast!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:09 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 1778
Location: Axachusetts of New New England
Did I just read right that George Carlin died? Oh my dog. I will always remember George by these un-joking words, "We the corporations have bought and paid for this Land, with you the people's money."


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group