Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:14 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
Some one forwarded this to me. No, I haven't checked out the logistics but, on face value, it seems pretty good to me! As follows:

"Now here's a bail out plan that works!
I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.
Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in "We Deserve It Dividend".

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000
bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+.

Our population is about 301,000,000 ± counting every man, woman
and child. So 200,000,000 might b e a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billon that equals $425,000.00.

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a
"We Deserve It Dividend".

Of course, it would NOT be tax free.

So let's assume a tax rate of 30%.
Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes.
That sends $25,500,000 ,000 right back to Uncle Sam.
But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket.
A husband and wife has $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?
Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved.
Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads
Put away money for college - it'll be there
Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs.
Buy a new car - create jobs
Invest in the market - capital drives growth
Pay for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the folks
who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company
that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...instead of trickling out a puny $1000.00 ( "vote buy" ) economic incentive that is being proposed by one of our candidates for President.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult U S Citizen 18+!

As for AIG - liquidate it.
Sell off its parts.
Let American General go back to being American General.
Sell off the real estate.
Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and AIG doesn't.
Sure it's a crazy idea that can "never work."
But can you imagine the Coast-To-Coast Block Party!
How do you spell Economic Boom?

I trust my fellow adult Americans to know how to use the $85 Billion
"We Deserve It Dividend" more than I do the geniuses at AIG or in
Washington DC .

And remember, this plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because
$25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.

Ahhh...I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

You don't want to even hear what I think about the stupid mortgage companies
that loaned out billions of dollars to people who they knew had no way of paying
back the loans, with both sides of the equation interested in one thing...fast money.
But it didn't work, and now we're supposed to bail out those idiots too???"


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:19 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 29, 2000
Posts: 1798
Location: El Mirage, AZ
I love the idea that MY money is going to bail out the same companies I OWE money to...

To bail out or not bail out, to me is the equivalent of a slow, let's not pull the plug (yet) kind of death, or a quick one. Either way... seems like a black hole to me.

And while we're at it, let's print up some money! I've got some extra paper lying around in cabinets in my classroom... and a few heavy-duty printing presses in the production room down the hall. It would be worth as much as any new money they're talking about printing to "solve" this crisis.

Zap, while I haven't checked the math (and it wouldn't do any good if I had), sounds like a viable solution. At least it makes more sense than printing valueless paper to bail out valueless companies.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:38 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
that's the best idea i've heard in days, Cap...
:D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:13 pm
  

User avatar
The W!zard

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1058
Images: 108
Location: Leonardtown, MD
This is an e-mail I've sent to some personal friends... and thought it might be worth posting here as well...

Quote:
Ok, I normally don't pass things like this along... but this
is important enough I believe - and it sure as hell needs to
be out there. This is coming from someone that I personally
really trust, as his advice has always been common sense and
he's really interested in helping people out - rather than
taking advantage of people and making a quick buck. I
realize at first glace his website may not seem like that,
but I do ask that if you are at all concerned about what is
going on in regards to this whole government bailout using
YOUR tax dollars and putting YOUR welfare at risk, take a
good look at what he has to say and what he is asking people
to do about it.

I am asking you as a personal friend - if you do care about
me at all, at the very least give it a read and a listen -
and then do whatever you think. This is in no way a junk
mailing... And this is probably one of the few times I will
ever send anything like this out.

A Plan With Action:
http://www.daveramsey.com/tdrs/index.cf ... ctid=sptlt

Questions you might be wondering about answered:
http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/newslette ... 809.2_05#1

If after reading, and listening to what he has to say - and
you feel the same way as I do, by all means let your friends
know as well.


PS: I have already e-mailed both of my representatives as well as my congressman, and there will be phone calls to follow up.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: May 25, 2001
Posts: 3074
Location: Colorado Rocky Mountain High
I almost deleted this message as spam... then thought maybe you'd be interested:

Quote:
Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:50 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
I think it may be time to study the French Revolution and take some serious notes. I'm renaming all the major execs at the root of this crisis "Marie" and I'm checking on E-Bay for guillotines.

I'd love to find out how much Jeb Bush was paid by Lehman Brothers in the past couple of years.......and how much he will be allowed to keep.

I wonder if Dubya has taken a page from the Nixon playbook and is dancing naked on his desk yet?

Late word says the bailout has reached an agreement in principle, including limits on CEO pay. I wonder how much of the stolen dollars these bastards already have might be recoverable.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group