Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: David Suzuki
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:54 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Hey you know that list you have of certain people you want to meet one day? Well in '04 it was adg (after waiting about THREE decades!) Then earlier this year, Cindy Sheehan.

I recently was honoured to meet David Suzuki. He was here for the Brisbane writers festival. He was to speak for and hour but kept going for nearly two! He's been here in Oz since early Sept. talking about Global Warming and also his Bio, which my beloved gave me for my birhtday in July, great book!
( I had also been waiting to decades to meet him Too!!)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 pm
  

Yeah, David Suzuki is a Canadian
national treasure. I used to see him
on an almost daily basis on Bloor
Street in Toronto when he worked at
the national public broadcaster CBC.
He was always open and kind to his
admirers and those of us who knew
he was on to something BIG....

By the way, David's bio is his
second go at autobiographical writing...
he produced one in 1987 entitled
Metamorphosis.

I'm still waiting to meet Arlo one of
these days. The trouble is, he doesn't
get to Toronto too often.The concert
this May at Massey Hall was just
wonderful.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:43 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 29, 2000
Posts: 1798
Location: El Mirage, AZ
He was a guest speaker at the opening of the new science center/geology building a few years back but I didn't get to go :(


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:46 pm
  

ArloNetizen

Joined: Jul 11, 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
This year I have read three David Suzuki books. They are: Inventing the Future, Metamorphosis, and Genethics. I also took out a textbook written by David Suzuki and other professors, called Genetic Analysis but I wasn't able to read it back to back because it's a very big and thick university textbook.
When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I lived in University of British Columbia faculty housing, where David Suzuki and his family lived several doors down. My father was a mathematician at the University of British Columbia and he taught mathematics, while David Suzuki was a professor of biology, where he was studying the behavior of fruit flies.
My sister, who was a year older than me, and I used to play with David's daughter Tami, who was about a year younger than me. She was a very gentle and quiet little girl. She had a younger brother, Troy, who was about 2 years old at the time. A couple of times my sister and I were invited to have break-fast at David's home. We had things like oranges, cut into slices and Japanese rice crackers. That was the first time that I had tasted Japanese rice crackers and I thought that it was so delicious. After break-fast, David drove us all to school. That's a nice memory to have after all these years.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:55 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8358
caron, i love your story!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: more on Suzuki
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:42 pm
  

ArloNetizen

Joined: Jul 11, 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Thanks for the compliment, Agnes.
I've wanted to go up to David Suzuki and ask, "Do you remember me?" but I never had the chance. Once, around 1989, when I was a university student, I went to the public library to find books on a subject I was writing a paper on, and there was David Suzuki speaking on a topic. It flashed through my mind to go up to him after the talk, but I was so bogged down with assignments that I never did wait until the talk was through, so busy was I, looking for as many books on my particular topic so I could write my paper.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:06 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8358
caron wrote:
David Suzuki was a professor of biology, where he was studying the behavior of fruit flies.


ya know, the first thing i thought of when i read this was...

i may have missed my calling!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group