Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic

Are we better off in this decade than we were during the Sixties?
Yes, I love the world the way it is. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
No, I want to go back to the 60's and start over. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
It is still the same, messed up. 67%  67%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 18
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:28 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
oh and Agnes, I guess my responsible older sibling was the Mezcal God who showed me how to repair cracked bamboo with some fire and colored candles, who can figure??? he now lives in Garpevine Tx (pretty ritzy) with a convertablie BMW (we were cranking Gram Parsons and driving throught the Texas night recently, pretty cool) but his wife refuses to buy Nacho's from any Nacho stand that supports that Perry fellow (No sir, just can't do it!) Kinky for Gov, that is what my responsible older sibling told me.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:54 pm
  

I don't know, I don't think people are that different now.

No way are people are the same. I don't recall reading about someone getting zapped over a pair of tennis shoes in the in the sixties? I don't think anevent the size of Woodstock could occur today without violence.

I know people that would shut down thier father's plant to move it to China to save a penny.

Things are not the same.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:23 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8359
PSBeaty wrote:
oh and Agnes, I guess my responsible older sibling was the Mezcal God who showed me how to repair cracked bamboo with some fire and colored candles, who can figure??? he now lives in Garpevine Tx (pretty ritzy) with a convertablie BMW (we were cranking Gram Parsons and driving throught the Texas night recently, pretty cool) but his wife refuses to buy Nacho's from any Nacho stand that supports that Perry fellow (No sir, just can't do it!) Kinky for Gov, that is what my responsible older sibling told me.


hahaha!
well just so you know, i made no prejudgments to the contrary or otherwise.

i do remember at one of the midnight matinees (woodstock) that is was hard to tell where the movie screen ended and where the theatre audience began because it was a little hazy after all.

and one whimsical moment the town seemed to have at around the same time was to make the AMC pacer (remember those cars?) the official police car. they looked like little spaceships on wheels.
maybe it wasn't just us but it seemed unique.

well anyhow...i don't mean to interupt, i was going to post this earlier, but didn't have time.

Tom D says:

"I don't know, I don't think people are that different now.

No way are people are the same. I don't recall reading about someone getting zapped over a pair of tennis shoes in the in the sixties? I don't think anevent the size of Woodstock could occur today without violence.

I know people that would shut down thier father's plant to move it to China to save a penny.

Things are not the same."

carry on...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:26 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 04, 2005
Posts: 681
Location: Clintondale, NY
The item of clothing that causes murders changes over time. Stack O Lee shot Billy de Lyon over a Stetson hat. That song started getting published in the 1920s.

kurt...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:56 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
anything can happen


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:11 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
you know i have been thinking about what you said "it can't happen now" or something like that, i just can't believe that, it is just as amazing those things happened then as to think they can't happen now (that made since to me but i am admittedly a bit strange), it wsa a polar world then and there were plenty of people at Woodstock i must believe who just came to party (and potentially act quite so intelligently) but a prevailing mood can go along way, i just find it difficult to believe that, other than the planet has aged a bit, that things are that different, not any better (from the signs I have seen) and not any worse, just a little more experience and the fruits of space age technology under the belt, sorry


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2493
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
Tom D wrote:
PSB- You speak in riddles :?:


I just love it when he does that!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:26 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
you know experience is funny, it can be lost or gained in a generation


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:15 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
PSBeaty wrote:
you know i have been thinking about what you said "it can't happen now" or something like that, i just can't believe that, it is just as amazing those things happened then as to think they can't happen now


"To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn..." Pete Seeger

"Funny how the Circle turns around.
You think you're lost and then you're found again.
Though you've always looked for what you know
Each time around there's something new again.
Funny how the Circle is a wheel
And it can steal some one who is a friend.
Funny how the Circle takes you flying
And if it's right it brings it back again." Gene Clark

Life and the Universe and maybe everything else, real and imagined, runs in cycles....."turn, turn, turn." Everything changes yet remains the same, Grasshopper.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:39 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
Pete might have lifted those lines from some jewish fellow from the 5th century BC

I saw Gene Clark when I finally got to see sneaky pete it was billed as a byrds / flying burritos concert and it was a hodge podge of musicians and equipment. the amps and speakers had rick roberts and firefall and the beach boys (Blondie chaplin was there) and manassas and steven stills and all kind of diffent names painted on them, it was this giant mish mash of southern california / colorado musicians and equipment, man that was a good show at the Woody Guthrie Zoo Ampitheatre in OKC (that is what i call it anyway).

and the third line is either budhist, particle physics or some strange TV show from the 70's philosophy


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:43 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
Well, yeah, but Pete put 'em in a song for everybody to listen to, not just a bunch of Republican fundies.

And the third line may have been from a Star Trek episode that dealt with a temporal distortion or a transporter loop due to a primary pattern buffer failure, causing a particle reflection, resulting in simultaneous molecular duplications of the subject(s) in alternate dimensional planes according to hypothesis relative to string theory. Or maybe it was string cheese.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:56 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8359
psb says:
"you know experience is funny, it can be lost or gained in a generation"

this i think is an important point. i wish it didn't feel so much like, one step forward, two steps back.

and now to quote zap, here lately..."WTF?!"


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:42 pm
  

Really, I am tired of trying to find logic in your reason-PSB? I just find it strange.

I really only wanted to talk to somebody who went to Woodstock...and I did,. Also, I heard somebody who saw Janice, Jimi and Jim M. I didn't look for anybody who saw Jerry because I have several times.

I feel sorry for anybody who has not seen the Dead at least once. CSN in Hawaii was a highlight I won't forget.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:43 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
me too! I have never been to Hawaii, bet it is fun though. I went to Japan once. This guy tried to sell me a Filipino girl he said was only 15, ididn't know what I would do with her, I could barely afford to feed myself (man it was expensive over there) and the trains were difficult because I couldn't figure out the signs but i went to a brewery in downtown tokyo and had beer in a building with a big beer drop on it! I also went to the place on the other side of the island were the Gods first crossed over from the mainland. its the spot were the gods of japan hold there convention and there was a pecking order of the big important gods getting the good shacks while the small time inconsequential gods got the little sheds away from the temple. I wanted to be one of those gods, inconsequential and all, the kind of god that didn't go to woodstock.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:46 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
hey but i just came to party but i have seen Doc Watson and John Hartford and Townes Van Zandt and Sonny and Brownie and Earl Scruggs and Merle Travis and John Hammond and Mike Seeger and Steven Fromholz and Waylon Jennings and Lowell George and Jimmy Driftwood and Ramblin Jack

And we all had a real good time!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group