Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:12 am
  

User avatar
The W!zard

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1058
Images: 108
Location: Leonardtown, MD
Maybe it's actually Todd giving me a nudge and letting me know things could use a little excitement... LOL! He was the true master of the art though!!!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:17 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 1778
Location: Axachusetts of New New England
Dave what kind of Blunder-Nuts would abuse html? It works fine on lots of sites that I am on. It would just add a touch more class to this site.

I like stirring the pot myself, since its the only pot I got.

I can understand why the huffpost doesn't take html with the comments coming in left and rgiht every minute.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:55 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Stir on! :) It makes up for being so few of us on here lol...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:52 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
mikey wrote:
... you really need to post this stuff with attribution...
mikey

It would be very much appreciated. If I quote from elsewhere, I usually say so AND include the link. My mamma taught me to always give attribution for written words. (Folk music's different, but even in the folk process, it seems to be more often the tune and not the lyrics that's OK to borrow without saying so.)

Edited to say: I can't speak for others, (though in discussions, others have agreed with me on this) but I'm much more likely to follow a link than read a long, long post in here. I usually skip the longer ones because they make my eyes cross. I think it's a typography/middle-aged eyes conflict.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:14 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1274
Location: Herndon, Virginia
With me, it's the eye thing, and a good dose of attention-deficit problems...!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 pm
  

User avatar
The W!zard

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1058
Images: 108
Location: Leonardtown, MD
leoburg wrote:
Dave what kind of Blunder-Nuts would abuse html? It works fine on lots of sites that I am on. It would just add a touch more class to this site.


Sorry - too much potential for abuse... From other webmasters who decided to enable HTML:

"I had HTML on my boards, until someone decided to use the META refresh tag and direct my front page CSM to to some porn site."

"I take it nobody has every posted a picture of a guy pulling his cheeks apart showing you the inside of his ass. I pray you never have to see what I have seen stupid people do to my board. :( "

"If you allow html on your forum you are ganna: Spend alot of time tracking down 'bad' html tags and blocking them
Have you cookies stolen because you forgot to block a certain tag. You members are ganna do something, like mess up your postbit layout or re-direct the site to anthor one, the list gose on. At the end of the day there is no reason to allow html on forums."

Bottom line - I'd like to help out our moderators who do a wonderfull job of cleaning up around here by keeping their job as simple as possible. By the way, if you allow HTML, and DON'T block certain tags, you can count on the spread of spyware and viruses, count on it. Any forum allowing HTML is taking a risk of some type. If you wanna be creative with HTML, there are plenty of places you can go to get free web sites. We have been hacked a few times... and I don't wanna see it happen again.

Oh, and if you go find a free webspace, set up a forum, and enable HTML, let me know and I will demonstrate to you why it was a bad idea.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:53 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 1778
Location: Axachusetts of New New England
Oh I do understand. It seems as if there are a number of different ways to post "the screen" Ning Sites take the html in comments blogs and messages. Others like FB use the url to post the screen.

Great place you got wizard.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:39 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Feb 26, 2009
Posts: 1201
Quote:
Joe Wilson is a racist idiot.


Is he? Or is he just an idiot. How does his outburst rise to the level of racism?

Is Kanye West a racist for grabbing the microphone from Taylor Swift and ranting about Beyonce's video?

Who knows? More likely cognac is the culprit... and being an idiot.

We do everyone the most good saving the race card for the real thing not the outbursts, tantrums and other bad manners that have come to typify our politics. Accusations of racism seldom modify behavior. They can, however, lead to ennui on the issue and then it becomes a cry of wolf.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:23 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1089
Location: Ocala, FL, USA
No, not crying wolf here. He actually is a racist who was once an aide to that well-known racist, Strom Thurmond. He called out Strom Thurmond's illegitimate half-black daughter for coming forward late in his life after having kept the secret for many years so as not to ruin his career.

After Thurmond's death at the age of 100 in 2003, it was revealed that Thurmond had fathered a daughter at the age of 22 with a black maid. When the daughter came out, Wilson denounced her saying that she should have kept it a secret and saying she was smearing Thurmond's good name.

So Wilson learned at the heel of one of the great racists (it should be noted that Thurmond's racist views did somewhat moderate with age) and hypocrites of the 20th Century.

mikey


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Aug 20, 2008
Posts: 33
Location: New York NY
I agree that the "race card" should not be played willy nilly. However, in addition to Mikey's point above, Joe Wilson is also a member of an organization called the Sons of Confederate Veterans that favors secession from the Union and defends slavery as a "benign institution". He also is one of only seven Republicans who voted to keep the confederate flag flying over the state house in South Carolina. So yeah, in his case, Racist Idiot. And rude.

But to reiterate my earlier point--all of this is designed to distract people from the real issue, which is still health care for everyone. And while people are arguing about Wilson and death panels and illegal immigrants, American citizens who have worked all of their lives and now find themselves in the midst of a firestorm of bad news are dying because they can't get health care.

Reform cannot come too soon.
And yes, I happen to think that Kanye West is a racist idiot as well. And I'm not a fan of his music either, but that's a different topic.
hrg


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Feb 26, 2009
Posts: 1201
Ok. Well then that's what he is. I thought he was just stupid. So stupid and a racist. :evil:

I saw one of the Sons tags in the parking lot at a restaurant today. I asked my dining partners how the owner manages to buy four new tires a day.

I'm leery of the racist tag. It was too liberally applied during the election and that can turn it into a merit badge like calling someone a witch or a red cabbage worshipper. Conserve nouns.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Aug 20, 2008
Posts: 33
Location: New York NY
I agree that the tag is overused. It really made me cringe during the election because it reduced the debate to a bunch of bull instead of intelligent discussion of the issues. I'd be willing to bet that it made the President cringe as well sometimes.

But sometimes it needs to be said. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. Unless it's an aardvark.

hrg


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
All of a sudden the type here is 18 pt. or larger. Dave, if you did something to cause that because of my comment about typography and middle-aged eyes, please don't. All I meant is that BB typography (not just here but everywhere) is very different than that used on most news websites, and is a bit harder to read. Larger type just accentuates the problems.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:37 am
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 353
I thought it was just me!

hrg, I think I love you! You put my thoughts into words in a way I can't seem to! :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
There's larger font on here for me too...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group