Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic

Is America capable of electing Obama for president?
Yes we can 77%  77%  [ 27 ]
No we can not 23%  23%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 35
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
I don't agree with a lot of what Rev Wright says myself. His objectification of the Government and not the People doe not really work for me. If the Government does have a sinister purpose and acts in total independence of the people then we all might as well shut up and just accept our fates! (no sense in coming around here anymore and mouthing off and getting on lists and stuff). I am tired of the racial framing and perspective (that is why my voting or not voting for Obama does not have anything to do with the color of his skin). I do believe there has been a genuine effort by a significant portion of the "Crackers" in America to put the past behind. I am in no way saying that rascism does not exist. In fact, the only conclusion I can make from Rev. Wright is that he is rascist. I am not saying he is a bad man or an evil man, I am just saying he is rascist. Active and vocal rascism (no matter if its on the oppressed good side of or on the evil bad side of the equation or in the appropriate historical context) feeds the fringe elements and is counter productive.

I thought at one time there is no way a Republican gets elected next time around? I new race would come up but I actually believed it would be dismissed in a way that left only the truly fringe rascists voting on skin color? This one here, it will impact the out come a little more than that!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
Here's a link to Bill Moyers' Journal where you can watch the interview with Rev. Wright.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04252008/watch.html


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:15 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Posts: 560
That is a lot to absorb.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKD078k ... re=related


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:34 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
That was nice! Thanks, PS!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:16 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Posts: 560
One of my mysogynist/racist co-workers says, "The only reason the dems put a woman and a black man up is because they don't want to win. They don't want to inherit problems they can't solve."

This brought to you buy the same hater that touts "Bobs policy of glassification." He says..."Pull all our people out and nuke the whole M/E. Tell them Allah is coming. The extreme heat of the nukes will turn the sand to glass and it will then be easier to find the oil." One of many hateful things he says.

Sometimes I wonder if he really believes these things.

And yes Bob will be voting for mc same.

Please don't be like Bob.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:41 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 1778
Location: Axachusetts of New New England
Its been read somewhere that the most controversial of Wright's Speeches were at Church Conventions of the Elders. If that be true, shouldn't Fox News tell all the facts? I think so.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:41 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
it's a visual thing that ought be taken as only that...
but it's a amazing moment....
for alot of reasons....

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/ ... rallyvideo


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:27 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Posts: 560
We had a bbq dinner with our friends John and Jeanie last nite. John, a life long republican, has sworn to vote for Barack.

Jeanie, a lifelong Dem lets on that as she begins to realize that her girl may not be there in November that she, like her mother, will be voting for mcsame.

I will be working hard to change that.

When I asked her why she did not like Obama, she explained in part, because of Baracks wifes comment about only now being proud to be an American.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:00 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
it's a tough time for Hillary's supporters especially now...
it is certainly not over, but there's alot of media and pundits pushing that it is... and a certain contagion with that which can have an impact on the outcome...

there's no question in my mind that many of those who support both Hillary and Obama are very enthusiastic supporters and whatever happens it will be a tough change to for anyone to adapt to....

seems like the best we can do for each other is to be mindful of these feelings... especially when decision time comes...

with that said, i have to say that McCain is the candidate that truly scares me.... he is so much like Bush...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Well said kj :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:51 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 1778
Location: Axachusetts of New New England
If McSame can sing a Beach Boys song as bomb bomb bomb Iran and still be considered a candidate there must be lots of people who can not even see the horizon, never mind see over it. That scares me.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Some local hatred...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:32 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Posts: 560
Attack On Obama Removed From Net

Sacramento GOP Web Site Linked Him To Bin Laden

By Ed Fletcher
efletcher@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2008
Sacramento County Republican leaders Tuesday took down offensive material on their official party Web site that sought to link Sen. Barack Obama to Osama bin Laden and encouraged people to "Waterboard Barack Obama" – material that offended even state GOP leaders.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has pushed the party to try to broaden its appeal, took issue with the site. "In the governor's view, it's completely and totally inappropriate," said Julie Soderlund, a Schwarzenegger spokeswoman.

Hector Barajas, a California Republican Party spokesman, said Democrats have been playing the race card, but that the local party went too far in this instance.

He said the campaign should be about who is ready to be the nation's commander-in-chief, that Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has never questioned Obama's patriotism, and that he'd ask local leaders to take down the offensive content.

Taking credit for the site (sacramentorepublicans.org) and its content was county party chairman Craig MacGlashan – husband of Sacramento County Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan.

The Bee asked MacGlashan about the content after seeking his reaction to hate-filled graffiti that was spray-painted over an Obama display on a fence at Fair Oaks Boulevard and Garfield Avenue.

In recent weeks, MacGlashan, an attorney, joined local Democratic party officials in condemning vandalism to political displays.

The vandalism to the Obama display appeared to have been done overnight Monday. A racial epithet, profanity, "KKK" and the words "white power" were clearly visible from the roadway. Six of the nine fence panels were defaced.

"What you are describing to me is not free speech, it's vandalism. We don't condone it," MacGlashan said.

But he defended his Web site. "I'm aware of the content," he said. "Some people find it offensive, others do not. I cannot comment on how people interpret things."

MacGlashan said he would "consider people's complaints" before taking any action.

By Tuesday night, much of the questionable material – which ranged from depicting Obama in a turban to attacking Michelle Obama – had been removed, replaced with political cartoons attacking Obama.

The flap comes as tensions in the presidential contest between McCain and Obama have heightened, and as race has been thrust into the forefront of the campaign. If elected, Obama would be the first non-white president.

The Sacramento GOP's Web site is markedly different in tone from other GOP or Democratic Party sites in the region in its use of illustrations and cartoons attacking the presidential nominee.

Democratic party officials condemned the GOP site. "It's exactly the kind of vile, repugnant politicking that has relegated the California GOP to an afterthought in California politics," said Roger Salazar, spokesman for the state Democratic Party. "Even the top of their ticket would be disgusted by this display of dishonesty."

GOP congressional candidate Rep. Dan Lungren's photo appeared above the Osama and Obama illustration.

Tim Clark, a Lungren spokesman, said the congressman had no control over the site's content.

"We think that the party Web site should focus on getting out the vote," Clark said. "We don't agree with the tone."

GOP political consultant Ray McNally said there is plenty of "high and heated passions" on both sides of the aisle, but that both stand to lose when the rhetoric becomes excessive.

"The worst thing in politics is when you overstate something," McNally said. "If you get too shrill, you turn people off."

In recent weeks, as McCain, his running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin, and their surrogates have questioned Obama's relationship with William Ayers, a '60s radical, the campaign has had to admonish supporters who have called Obama a traitor, even making threats.

California State University, Sacramento, professor Stan Oden said the national campaign bears some responsibility for local excesses.

"Palin and McCain have both been very narrow-minded in trying to push these associations – trying to make Obama into a radical bomb-throwing individual," Oden said. He called the Web site very upsetting.

Kevin Johnson, the dean of the University of California, Davis, law school, said he was taken aback by the Web site's warning to "Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid" of Obama. It was removed later Tuesday.

"Just sad," Johnson said. "It suggests to me that we haven't gone as far as we would have liked in putting racism to bed."

"It's disappointing that something like this would show up on the Republican Party Web site," Johnson continued. "Maybe someone hacked into it. That would make me feel better. This is hateful stuff."

I am ready for change. Who took my Obama poster?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:16 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
I think you know me well enough by now, to know that I don't care what color someone is. I was for Hils, not because she was a woman, but because I thought, at this time, she was the right PERSON, capable of getting us out of this mess!
I have for years, since I saw his speech in 2004, thought of Obama as future Pez material and I guess you know who I voted for on my absentee ballot!!! Because I think he is the right PERSON. I don't care a hoot about gender or color etc etc.

But I am mystified, is it something in the American psyche? (remember I'm half American but haven't lived there full time for many years).

Why do I keep continually hearing or seeing in the media that Obama is the "first black" or "first non-white" Presidential candidate??
He is half American and half African just like I'm half American and half Australian (by blood and citizenship). So he IS literally an African American, by blood, his father was black African and his mother was white American.

I find it very perplexing, I'm mean some people here in OZ didn't even realize his mother was white and from Kansas til I told them.

Does anyone have an explaination?? Is it that some people can't cope with him being half black or half white?? If he looked white instead of black how would that change what's going on?

Just find it interesting psychologically. I look forward to your comments.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:17 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
louise wrote:




I find it very perplexing, I'm mean some people here in OZ didn't even realize his mother was white and from Kansas til I told them.




I thought white girls from Kansas visited Oz all the time?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group