Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:50 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
.....since we landed on the moon. Before and after the lunar landing, mankind was looney. Some things never change even when you slide in a defining moment somewhere. :)

Now, our sights are set BACK on the moon, and then Mars. I can understand Dubya wanting to take us to Mars,as he stated before he left office, since Mars is the God Of War and Stuff. I can also understand many of us wanting to send him there during his terms.
Now the Apollo 11 astronauts tell Obama we need to go there as well, although I expect for reasons that differ from Dubya's.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:44 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1089
Location: Ocala, FL, USA
The Apollo 11 astronauts want us to go to Mars because they heard a rumor that there's free health care there.


mikey


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:13 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Feb 26, 2009
Posts: 1201
:lol:

I've met two of the three and they were twice as healthy as I was at half the age. I'd say it was mileage but they've been ten times as far.

I had breakfast with Armstrong. He's a modest dude but a heckuva pilot. Aldrin is intense and scrappy.

The astronauts want to get out of low earth orbit. They live to fly. Dubya doesn't want the Chinese to hold the high ground where a slingshot with a decent sized rock can hit any city on the blue marble with just a tiny tug.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
They need somewhere to ship all the hippies to. Put the spaced in space! That's the ticket!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
You sellin' tickets? :?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:23 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jul 06, 2008
Posts: 2531
Images: 2
Location: Crawfordville, Florida
Hippies, or at least Hippy philosophy, are responsible for Earth Day......we belong here, are needed here. I propose sending the "drill, baby, drill" crowd away, vote them off the island......no, that wouldn't be right, we've already put too much trash up in space already. But the image of Sara Palin on the space station is intriguing......then she really could see Russia from her window......you betcha :wink:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
"That's a ....I say, that's a joke, son!" (Aye, yie, yie! Low HQ*, I reckon!) I mean, I mean look at my picture! I'd probably be one of the first they put onboard. But ya know, think about it. The moon has one side that's almost always in sunlight, no? Like a perpetual gro-light! Hmmm..................

And to Larry: Why? You buyin' tickets?


*Humor Quotient


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:36 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
And what's wrong with a "Moon Day"? Call me a lunatic, butt (intentional) you could moon the entire Earth in one moon shot!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:44 pm
  

BlunderVirgin

Joined: Jul 21, 2009
Posts: 5
i was one yr old when they "went to the moon".my great grandma swore on her check-out bed that we didnt go.all my life i have wondered.i mean what do we really know cept what "they" tell us?
id like to think we went,outerspace is one of my obsessions- but that drop of doubt will always be there till i get in my own lil rocket and head up there to see the flag myself.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:55 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1274
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Apollo 13 Astronaut Fred Haise was my husband's head boss when he was working on the new Space Station project in the late '80's when it was still based in Reston, VA. Other astronauts
were involved, too, and over the years, I've met several.

I was 16 when the astronauts reached the moon; I remember watching it on tv, and being fascinated by it all. I married a guy who LOVED anything to do with manned space travel. He works for NASA now, and we both support space exploration; it's there, and it's the next frontier. We all benefit from the research done in preparation for manned space flights; many common household items are products of space research.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 40 years.....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:44 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
My Favorite Moon is Alan Moon. Couldn't resist... :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group