Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Now They're After PBS
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:55 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
PBS is in jeopardy. Today's New York Times describes secret efforts by Republican operatives to make our Public Broadcasting System more "fair and balanced."

Kenneth Tomlinson, the Republican chairman of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) -- the government-funded organization that was designed to shield PBS from political pressure -- is aggressively pressing PBS to correct what he considers "liberal bias."

He secretly hired a White House staffer to help draft "guiding principles" for the future of CPB. He brought in a consultant to monitor the "anti-Bush" and "anti-Tom Delay" content on Bill Moyers' NOW program, and then set up and funded right-wing commentator Paul Gigot's new PBS program. Now Tomlinson is working behind the scenes to stack CPB's board and executive offices with Republican Party cronies.

Click here to help save PBS.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:45 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1089
Location: Ocala, FL, USA
Well, I always suspected the Cookie Monster of being some kind of leftist terrorist, and this just goes to prove it. I never trusted that Limey, Alistair Cooke, either.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:13 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
Nazi's, I hate Nazi's!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:08 pm
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: May 29, 2002
Posts: 578
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
A NO spin zone?

Fair & Balanced?

Fascists.

I don't think they'll be able to infiltrate
http://www.airamericaradio.com/

And it's on XM.
http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=167

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Bobbi2 on May 03, 2005 ---</FONT></center>


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:03 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
I saw the Nazi on the news wanting a mandatory PBS Rightwing Thinktank show! Possibly another condomintium?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:38 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
I was talking to a friend about this Kenneth Tomlinson issue. This friend is more of a Democratic Party worker type and he congregates with his fellows in the halls of government and looks across the halls at those of another persuasion daily. He said to me that I was being a bit harsh using Nazi as a descriptor here. I said you know this fellow has a history of working in basements and monitoring and attempting to control society. He said he was aware of the Reagan/G-W years. And then he explains about the tippping factor that has come up in articles and print etc... I said well that is just a mathematical model that attempts a mechanistic description of societies so called natural tendencies to steer a course midstream (the rejection of Newt for instance). I said such models function on assumptions and in my experience assumptions are typically flawed in unpredictable ways. I think 9/11 packed some new ballast in the hull and it was unevenly distributed and that maybe it takes a little more of an aggressive stand and stronger rhetoric against such characters to tip the damn boat.

I don't know, could be wrong! Maybe I should Just Ask the Group W Bench?

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by PSBeaty on May 19, 2005 ---</FONT></center>


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:35 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Nov 11, 2004
Posts: 2010
Location: Left-of-center
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PSBeaty:

I was talking to a friend about this Kenneth Tomlinson issue. / He said to me that I was being a bit harsh using Nazi as a descriptor here./ I don't know, could be wrong! Maybe I should Just Ask the Group W Bench?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you're too far off the mark, PS. Check out the speech that Bill Moyers recently gave at the National Conference for Media Reform in St. Louis concerning Tomlinson & CPB (PBS) on the Free Press website.
www.freepress.net/news/8120.

Damn! I miss Bill Moyers on NOW. They cut it down to a half hour show and, on some some stations have it surrounded by right-leaning commentary programs.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Captain Zap on May 19, 2005 ---</FONT></center>


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group