Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 pm

BlunderVirgin

Hi all - My name is Arlo and after years of lurking around this site, I am glad to finally have registered and hope to contribute some.

As the subject of this post states, in January 1973 my parents named their newborn son Arlo. They thought it was a unique and cool name as they were fans of Arlo's music. I must say it took me many years to appreciate having an uncommon name, as sometimes as a kid you just want to blend in and be normal :) My whole life I have only met older (80s, 90s) men named Arlo, and more recently because of that Disney movie, some babies - no one my age, although I am sure there are some.

Two more things in my introductory post - 1) My wife and I are going to see Arlo in concert on April 15 in Santa Barbara and I am really looking forward to it! Why? That is the second thing: 2) My parents were going to name me David. They instead named me Arlo. As a result of having that name, I have always had a lot of curiosity about Arlo's music and life that I may not have had otherwise (if I had been named David as originally planned) or maybe as strongly. I do play guitar and have played Arlo's music that I have learned in bands and other jam sessions over the years and around the world. People do get a kick out of "Arlo singing Arlo" :) A couple of years ago as my wife and I became "empty nesters," we hit the road in our Airstream and currently are remote working nomads traveling around the country. Freed up from the office world, I let my hair grow out and found out to my surprise that it is curly, like someone else...what a crazy world. Anyhow, that's my introduction, and I am stoked for the upcoming concert.

Oh, and one more thing - my username is "secondfloor" because Arlo literally means second floor in Chinese. I moved to China in 2001 and my first visit to a multi-level department store found me shocked as I was hearing my name yelled all over the store - it turns out that people were just asking what floor such and such product was on, and "the 2nd floor" 二楼 was a common answer :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:37 pm

ArloNetizen

Thank you for sharing that. I like that name. I've been wondering how many other Arlos there are out there.
Carol

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:02 pm

BlunderVirgin

secondfloor wrote:
Hi all - My name is Arlo and after years of lurking around this site, I am glad to finally have registered and hope to contribute some.

As the subject of this post states, in January 1973 my parents named their newborn son Arlo. They thought it was a unique and cool name as they were fans of Arlo's music. I must say it took me many years to appreciate having an uncommon name, as sometimes as a kid you just want to blend in and be normal :) My whole life I have only met older (80s, 90s) men named Arlo, and more recently because of that Disney movie, some babies - no one my age, although I am sure there are some.

Two more things in my introductory post - 1) My wife and I are going to see Arlo in concert on April 15 in Santa Barbara and I am really looking forward to it! Why? That is the second thing: 2) My parents were going to name me David. They instead named me Arlo. As a result of having that name, I have always had a lot of curiosity about Arlo's music and life that I may not have had otherwise (if I had been named David as originally planned) or maybe as strongly. I do play guitar and have played Arlo's music that I have learned in bands and other jam sessions over the years and around the world. People do get a kick out of "Arlo singing Arlo" :) A couple of years ago as my wife and I became "empty nesters," we hit the road in our Airstream and currently are remote working nomads traveling around the country. Freed up from the office world, I let my hair grow out and found out to my surprise that it is curly, like someone else...what a crazy world. Anyhow, that's my introduction, and I am stoked for the upcoming concert.

Oh, and one more thing - my username is "secondfloor" because Arlo literally means second floor in Chinese. I moved to China in 2001 and my first visit to a multi-level department store found me shocked as I was hearing my name yelled all over the store - it turns out that people were just asking what floor such and such product was on, and "the 2nd floor" 二楼 was a common answer :)