Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:56 am

BlunderVirgin

I am in pre-production on a short documentary film that deals with the draft during the Vietnam war. I would like to speak to men who evaded the draft. Specifically looking for interesting stories related to pre-induction and or induction physicals.
Thanks Paul Colin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I "evaded" the draft in 1964 by joining the Air Force and becoming a commissioned officer, giving the US 4-1/2 years of my life. Never got to Nam, but was sent to Korea as an advisor, 1966-1967. My pre-induction physical took place at Stewart AFB, NY, and was characterized by a Flight Surgeon who tried like hell (without success) to get me to pass the eye exam for pilot training. I "flew" a desk for the 4-1/2 years, but did meet my bride of nearly 50 years while in the service, so no complaints.

Look, I got spit on in an airport while in uniform on my way to rejoin my wife after a 13-month separation, but I bear no grudge against anyone who truly had a moral or religious objection to serving. Doubt you will find my story germane to what you are seeking to accomplish, but I understand the man you may want to talk to is rocker and gun nut Ted Nugent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I evaded the draft by not being old enough. I turned 18 in 1975 and had to register, 6 months later, there was no draft. I inscribed the words." If the time comes, insert in flames" on my draft card. I would not have gone to Nam.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:04 am

Arlo Fanatic

My late hubby Mike evaded the draft even tho he was a 1A by flunking school. He was supposed to graduate in 1969 and ended up being in the class of 1972. Way to go Mike. I once found an old report card of his where he had flunked choir in 1969. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:51 am

Arlo Fanatic

How do you flunk choir? By singing flat? LOL.

Anyway, I'm sure your Mike is singing right on key with the choir in heaven now.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yep and he is the most beautiful angel up there. I am biased tho. :)