Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 12:30 pm

The W!zard

Ok, I don't have a setlist for the show... as I know other folks were taking it down. Despite the fact the show was at the symphony hall, it wasn't a symphony show! In fact, we got a real treat... Johnny Irion (Sarah's husband) joined both Abe & Sarah on stage for the second half of the show. His guitar playing definantly added to the performance and sounded really nice... especially since after the show I asked him when this started and he said "pretty much today"!

We were all treated to Alice's... which the crowd really seemed to enjoy... with a standing ovation after he played it! Arlo flubbed Darkest Hour... repeating one verse twice I think it was.

At any rate, it was a great show... and it was especially nice to see some new faces, along with old friends... I'm pretty sure a good time was had by all, as everyone really seemed to be having a good time!

Arlo even made my day by telling me that like 60% of all the ticket sales from the previous night (in Wayne, NJ) came from ArloNet... that's really cool!!! Evidently they asked people where they heard about the concert and more than half of them went because of the site... I just thought that was so cool!

Oh yeah, and Johnny mentioned he has a small website... which has a few MP3's that you can download and listen to... check it out: www.johnnyirion.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 1:07 pm

The W!zard

I just read the reviews on Wayne, NJ. We stayed for Alice's too... so we should be credited as well... (we were right in the middle of a row up front) - a special thanks to Dave & Libby for getting the tickets for us! It was great finally meeting Deb Fitz and her daughter Sara... And although I can't remember her name (I'm horrible with names), it was nice meeting the person with the copy of Newsweek with Arlo on the cover (and her husband). I know she's out there because she did compliment me on the web site... join us on here anytime! It's always nice meeting new people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 1:42 pm

sounds like a great time was had by many this weekend, dave! i saw the seating chart for wayne where they had it all marked how people heard about the show. it was very cool about arlonet being the source for over half the people there, especially when you consider that another portion of the people were patrons of the venue, so would have been there without advertising. i'd say it brings the percentage up even higher, if you factor that in...percentage of available seats. [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 1:53 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Great time, great show, great friends.

I didn't keep a setlist either but Arlo did sing Mother, The Queen Of My Heart for the moms in the audience.

And as long as credit is being given for siiting through Alice. I did it two days in a row; so what do I get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 3:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

JohnC..I'd say sitting through Alice 2 days in a row qualifies you as a finalist for the Golden Garbage award.
Dave..he got a SO just for Alice?..I mean not at the end of the show..just for doing Alice? That's only going to encourage him.... Maybe we could start SO's for songs that are not Alice...just a thought.
Anyway the Baltimore gig sounds great and if i was going to be jealous of anyone today it would be John and Regina who did the whole weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 4:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Now, now! Maybe Arlo should be the one to get the award for SINGING it two days in a row! We got it easy, all we gotta do is listen![img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Besides, Alice still always seems to get the biggest round of applause Arlo's shows. We "regulars" are always looking for seldom done songs, or looking for small diffrences in they way they are performed and stuff,I think we are a bit jaded. [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img] But the NORMAL people, come to hear stuff that they expect to hear, and.......Am I rambling?? [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I hope so, I like to ramble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 4:20 pm

john..don't know what you win, but you've got my sympathy. [img]/ubb/smilies/laugh.gif[/img] i think pat has something there...so's for other songs, i like that. i've seen them for alice's before, and thought the same thing about encouraging him. i suppose you're right, though, larry..lots of people there want to hear it..it's just a few of us that tend to show up over and over and over. i'm betting arlo would like to take a break with the rest of us when it starts. maybe the arlo clones could come in handy for that? [img]/ubb/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 4:59 pm

The W!zard

Actually, I think Arlo gets some perverse pleasure out of doing Alice's when he knows a lot of us regulars are at a show... he even seems to enjoy it more when we are stuck (trapped) and can't make it to the bathroom.

"The Golden Garbage Award"... I like that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 5:10 pm

i think you're right, dave. kind of like why should he have to suffer alone? [img]/ubb/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 5:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Or maybe we should start asking him to do Alice..that'll probably put a stop to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 5:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

pat, I don't think arlo's the type that would pass up that challenge... after lookin' at you like you wuz weird or somethin'... he'd probably do alice's AGAIN as an encore... just to teach you a lesson (and to make you pee in your pants!!!!!) [img]/ubb/smilies/laugh.gif[/img]

or he could just ask you to go sit over on that bench...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 5:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't know if that would work Arnie. Depending on how much stuff was sung between him singing Alice twice in the same show, a lot of us might forget he played it the first time while he was playing it the second time. Besides the fact that he'd better check with the venue before he would even think to play it twice in the same night. Imagine the potential fire hazards, liability and stuff with the possability of all that decrease in water pressure with that many people flushing in the same place....twice!
You guys better stop thinking so much, you're getting down right dangerous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 8:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I can't believe folks don't like to hear ALICES! I loved him doing it. [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I never tires of it & yes I'm a regular. [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
He shoulda done MTA by the KINGSTON TRIO tho. That train was right by the conert place. [img]/ubb/smilies/laugh.gif[/img]

I have the secret set lists. I'll post it later! I had fun at the show! [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mike is in the other room singing THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND. What have I done to that man???? [img]/ubb/smilies/laugh.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 9:03 pm

BlunderVirgin

I agree with Dave - it was a great show, Alice not withstanding. But the good news is that he got two standing ovations at the end, too - not just for Alice. And I really love all of that "old" stuff, and it makes up for having to sit through Alice. And Johnny I. really put a little boost into the show - we'd be lucky to see more of him [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 12:06 am

[img]/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] This is Cyndy B and her tolerant & patient hub JB. I was the gal with the Newsweek. I have been a fan since I was about 15 , and my teacher played Alice’s Restaurant in class as part of a civics lesson.

We sent away for tix to this show about 3 months ago, having learned about the show on Arlonet. We sat in the front row. The vocals, harmonies and instrumentals were FAB. I had also never heard Sarah before and I'm bowled over. She sings like a dream. Her hubby was on stage afterward and he very charming. A good player, too! [img]/ubb/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

JB told Dave the webmaster how his dinner is usually either a) not cooked or b) burnt because I am on Arlonet. Really, it's a very well-thought-out site. You all are very nice people; I was nervous but Dave and Mrs. Dave are sweeties and made us feel welcome in the crowd.

We got to meet Arlo after the show. I got a total case of nerves, lost volume control, and could not even hear myself talk to him. I shook his hand and I think I looked him in the eye although my inner self had passed out long before that. [img]/ubb/smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubb/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Arlo signed the Newsweek and also gave us an autograph for JB's doctor, who claims he used to whoop Arlo at chess at summer camp. As Arlo said, "yeah sure." Arlo was very gracious to every person who wanted his autograph after the show. A true pro.

JB took a picture which, if it turns out, maybe we can send. It'll probably be a pic of Arlo and some gelatinous nerve blob, formerly known as me). (Remember the pilot turning to jello - or jelly - in the movie Airplane? You get the idea.)

What a GREAT GREAT DAY! We'll meet you all again at, well, something! Did I say what a GREAT DAY! YEY!