Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: NYC, Carnegie Hall, 2000
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 11:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was actually waiting for someone else to get up to start this one. Deb kept a set list, but I'm guessing she's very, very tired right now.
I thought it was a really terrific Carnegie. The band sounded great behind Arlo and on their own, and hearing them all with Carnegie's acoustics makes it a different show even if you've seen most of it recently. They all seemed to be having a real good time on stage, which makes it more fun for us, too.
Until Deb or someone gets here with a set list - it was pretty close to the Keswick and probably the Englewood show. One difference was that he played Victor Jara in response to a request and didn't play Prologue.
Encores were brief because they used up almost all their time with the regular show, so that couldn't be helped.
The only disappointment of the evening was that Krishna didn't play. He was considering it, but got wrapped up in some important video games and just couldn't make it. These things happen.
Sherry's cookies were a big hit as always, and she fed many people with them.
Well, I guess that's the best I can do, because I'm pretty tired too..but someone will be along to improve on it, soon, I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:40 am

The W!zard

As always, was a great time seeing everyone again. One of the best shows ever! The big excitement though wasn't so much the show as we were sitting right behind Jerry Stiller (from Seinfeld and King of Queens) and I got his autograph and there was some talk of a possible web site! Really nice guy...

Very cold outside. Drove home after the show (got in about 5:30 this morning). Maybe more later when I'm less tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:45 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info! I'd love to know what Uncle Arlo wore. & Was this show with the Symphony too? I had read somewhere that this show was supposed to be with a Symphony like Arlo & Xavier & the Symphony. Thanks for any info folks! Ya'll are living out my dreams. It is a dream of mine to one day go to see Arlo at Carnagie Hall & go to all 3 days of his church shows. I cannot die until I've done this. Sadly NYC & MA are too far away from VA & theres this lack of bread for the trips LOL! At the rate I'm going I'll live to be over 100 yrs old! LOL!

Thanks for the info! I know what it's like being tired after the show. But it's a good tired. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

Cool! Jerry Stiller is a real riot! LOL! I remember back in the 70's he & his old lady Anne Meara had their own tv show on tv. I foget the name of it tho. The Jerry Stiller Site oughta be interesting. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:20 am

I have to say that I was a tad bit disappointed with Part 1 of the Carnegie concert but OVERWHELMED with joy by the second half. I didn't really like Xavier, they were very loud (maybe just where we were sitting) and had minimal "catchiness." I couldn't help but feel that it was all a plug for his son's (probably not too successful) band. On the other hand, set two was amazing! It was my first live rendition of Alice's Restaurant. I got the feeling that it was like the Stanley Cup-- a once in a life time experience (atleast if you're a Ranger fan). Plus City of New Orleans and Chilling of the Evening sounded great-- especially with all the guitars. The little crack about the election prompted a much-deserved roar. And the standing ovation was moving. My only complaint is that all the backup drowned out Arlo's singing which I love so much. He finished it with a great rendition of Goodnight Irene, just like he did last year.
Here's my wish list for next year:
Turn down the volume
Ditch Xavier, but keep Abe (of course)
Have SaraLee sing (but not speak)
Bring back PETE AND TAO...PLEEEEEEZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:22 am

One more thing...
I saw Arlo and Nora (his sister) once each last year. I saw Arlo last year at Carnegie Hall and I saw Nora once at a Pete Seeger concert (at the symphony space). I recognized Nora--besides by her salt and pepper hair-- because she was wearing this very distinctive black outfit that I saw her wear at the symphony space. And then I realized that Arlo was wearing the same outfit this year as he was last year. You'd think that they'd change! just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 8:54 am

pat's right, i do have a set list and as soon as i locate it, i'll put it up here. unfortunately, our car broke down on the way home, so it may have made it to the rental car, or it may still be in the dead car 80 miles down the road, in which case it might be a day or two. arlo, sarah, johnny and xavier were all wonderful! as pat said, basically the same show as the keswick but with the amazing acoustics of carnegie hall. the last 4 shows i've seen have been with xavier backing arlo and i've enjoyed them tremendously. it's, also, nice to see and hear johnny out there on the dobro! thanks to everyone on stage for a truly wonderful night!

as always, it's sad to see the blunder season come to an end, but it was good to do so surrounded by so many great friends. thanks for being there...sherry, thanks for the cookies...i love you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 10:26 am

Ick, Deb... I am glad you guys made it home safely! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 10:43 am

Sorry you were a "tad disappointed" by the first set, Jeremy. While Xavier's music is definately different that Arlo's, I really think you're being a bit harsh towards them. They played with Arlo at the Church and most of us were hoping they would join him on the road!

And I'd be careful about knocking Sarah Lee around here too...her biggest fans are here!

I'd bet that Arlo would love to have Pete join him at Carnegie, but I suspect that it is Pete's decision not to.

But its good to hear that you enjoyed the show overall, and welcome to Arlonet! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

A lot of us were delighted to see Xavier at Carnegie. Some of us went up to the church just to see them earlier this year and it was definitely worth the trip.
And everyone that I've spoken to has really enjoyed hearing Arlo with the whole band. Regular fulltime blunderites and more occasional concert goers have both liked having a whole band happening.
And as to Sarah's talking..well, someone's got to carry on that tradition. Abe isn't going to do that, so it's up to Sarah, when they let her.
As to Arlo's suit..well that's why Cheryl doesn't get her fashion report any longer..just figure he's wearing the black suit unless you hear differently.
Nora, however, doesn't show up in public every night of her life. She probably doesn't feel like she needs a different outfit for every event. Smart woman.

I have to tell a story on Nora, though, cause I think this was so funny. She was sitting in back of us and as she was leaving she was singing "Good Night, Irene" just quietly to herself, enjoying the moment, I hope. Her son (at that kind of age) was obviously just embarrassed at her doing such a thing and tried to get her to stop right away. Just goes to show you can be Woody Guthrie's daughter and chief archivist, sister of the star of the show, but it doesn't change the business of being a Mom any.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by pat on Nov 27, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:32 pm

I'd guess mostly that Xavier just isn't your kind of music, Jeremy. A few of us have been listening to Xavier since it's previous incarnation, and I think we've all been in agreement that the band is really sounding great lately! We keep wondering why they aren't doing some of the late night talk shows, isnce they really do sound better than most of the bands of the same type that play those shows....

From what you wrote, I'm guessing you're mainly a die-hard Arlo fan that doesn't want to have it diluted with other stuff. For a lot of us that have seen many shows though, having Xavier on stage and having Sarah talk a little too is great! I love hearing Arlo, but seeing him help bring along new talent is a wonderful thing to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:37 pm

the set list made it to the rental car, after all. guess priorites were in check last night. Image so, here goes..

Xavier started the show..
Last Train - Randy, lead vocal w/Johnny on dobro
Rock My Soul - Tim, lead vocals
Strangers - Randy, lead vocals

Arlo, Sarah Lee and Johnny join Xavier..
Chilling of the Evening
Intro/Fence Post Blues
Ocean Crossing
St. James Infirmary
In A Young Girl's Mind - Sarah Lee
Old Shep/Me & My Goose
Coming Into LA
Freight Train
Big Square Walking - Sarah Lee
Sinking of the Reuben James

Intermission

Alice's
White Christmas on the ukelele - instrumental
All Along the Watchtower on the uke
White Christmas on the uke - vocals
Ukelele Lady on the uke
City of New Orleans

Arlo, Sarah and Johnny leave for a moment
Xavier plays one song
Alone - Abe, lead vocals

Arlo, Sarah, Johnny return...
Doors to Heaven
Victor Jara
Motorcycle Song
This Land

Encore
Goodnight Irene

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by deb on Nov 27, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:39 pm

The W!zard

It's kinda funny actually. A few years ago when Pete came back for Carnegie and did so much, someone complained that it was way too much Pete and they were disappointed. I was kinda curious as to how Xavier would be received, as they are a lot different than Arlo. Most people seemed to enjoy having them there. I know I have been waiting almost a decade to see Arlo back on the road with a full band again.

I also think that Arlo really enjoys it. I mean, he did make the decision to take them out on the road with him (I think this decision was after seeing them play their show at the church earlier this year). I also don't think Arlo is just doing Abe and the band a favor because he feels obligated to. Maybe you remember the comment he made toward the end where he said something like that this incarnation (the original) of Xavier was the most creative they had been.

I also saw Xavier play with Arlo at the church shows and I can honestly say that in the short time between them and Carnegie, they have really come together and sound great together! It sounds very polished now, and I can only assume that the longer they tour with him the better the shows are gonna get.

Introduction/Fence Post Blues and Coming Into Los Angeles are great tunes that just don't sound as good without the band... as well as Prologue (which wasn't played at Carnegie I don't think). He also seemed to really be "into" those songs which prominently featured Xavier as if he was really having a lot of fun!

jeremy - I'd be curious to hear your opinion of "Alone" which is the Xavier tune they played in the second set with Abe taking the lead vocals on the entire song. Very reminisant of Pink Floyd with some great bluesy guitar.

One other thing, give Sarah Lee a chance. She's still honing her talents. She definantly has the musical talent as well as the songwriting ability, give her a little time and I think you'll see the storyteller emerge as well! It seems to be something that you have to work with a while to become good at. I've seen Arlo starting new stories (like the Woody postage stamp story) where it started out kinda just plain and average as if it was lacking a punch line, but after a few shows and a few changes, he has the audience rolling!

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Dave on Nov 27, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:48 pm

jeremy, your show report was honest and
candid. don't let them browbeat you.

i met Jerry Stiller four years ago at carnegie..all i kept saying was, "You're
George Castanza's dad!!" to which he
responded, "Arlo puts on a good show."

why am i always so slow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

todd... it took a minute for me to remember his name OTHER than George Castanza! Didn't want to embarass myself! LOL! Nice guy who reminds me of my dad! YIKES!

as for Xavier, well I think they rocked, and they most definitely add to the Arlo show, since it has been a long time since Shenandoah played with arlo. It gives him the opportunity to dig out a whole different catalog of songs which he has not done since Shenandoah... yeah, it's cool when you see arlo in a one or two man show, but what a difference a band (and a cool one like Xavier) makes!
besides, when Abe did Alone, close your eyes and tell me you don't hear a young arlo!!
Stop Sarah Lee from talking?? Outrageous!!! She shows the makings of a great storyteller!
As to the volume, well I did think whoever was doing the mixing did have the vocals turned down a bit at the beginning, but that was a technical matter, not an arlo/band matter. It was corrected as the show progressed.

bottom line:
Great show! Great cookies!

oh yeah... cheryl, give it up! Save your money, skip some other concerts, and just take yourself to carnegie already and stop whining!