Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 3:15 am

July 29, 2000 was a mostly cloudy one. The sky peeked through the clouds here and there, and it was not dark, but fairly cool and pleasant. I had tickets for six 6th row center seats for Arlo's concert tonight. I was so excited! There were changes to the list of those who would accompany me, but I hoped (and prayed) that the last 2 tickets would be taken tonight by... someone!

Kevin (Keb) IM'd me, and we firmed up our plans. Unfortunately, Keb's wife Melanie wasn't going to be able to attend, but Keb traveled from Mt. Carmel, IL to Aurora. (A six hour drive.) He met me here, at my home - well, let me be accurate - In truth, he came here to meet Peabody! Once Peabody and Keb met, the little rat dog was fed, I checked the film in my camera and the batteries in the tape player, ensured that I had my copy of <u>This is the Arlo Guthrie Book</u> and a notebook for the set list, then off we went! First stop was at the restaurant, for dinner: Cafe Buono's, in Naperville.

Cafe Buono's was carefully selected - first, because it's Italian food, and Mount Carmel is not known for its wide variety of ethnic cuisine. Also, because it was close, and we were running on 'Keb time'. (Slightly slower than 'Celery Time'.) And, of course, most importantly: they serve Tiramisu During dinner, we discussed important things like Keb's family, ArloNet, blunderites, tiramisu, and Arlo.

After dinner, we hopped in Keb's car once again, and headed west (toward my home, but more importantly, toward Arlo). The concert was in Ramsey Auditorium at Wilson Hall. Fermilab is a really interesting place, and many of us were waiting to hear Arlo's comments about it. ( Fermilab is a place where they get particles moving Really Fast to split atoms. If you look through this site, start on the main page, and you might be able to see my house, under the menu on the left! And, check out the Buffalo! These are some of my coolest and quietest neighbors!)

OK, we got to the venue, and hooked up with my friend Emma, and managed to sell my 2 "spare" tickets to a very nice couple from Schaumburg who TOLD me their names... but, sorry, nice people. I was about to see Arlo, so I really don't remember your names. I do remember we discussed what we hoped to hear, and I said, (Deb will not be surprised), "Darkest Hour." When Keb and Emma and I got to our seats, we were met by my friend and neighbor Dawn. Neither Dawn nor Emma had a CLUE about who Arlo is. As a matter of fact, Dawn had called me a couple of days ago, after seeing Arlo's picture in a local paper, and explained to me that he had long, white/gray hair. Of course, I pretended to be stunned...

Arlo came on stage in a black loose shirt and black slacks, black shoes (possibly birkenstocks, but I really wouldn't know) and kind of maroony socks. He started by welcoming everyone, and pointing out that some people had been brought by over-enthusiastic friends. And, with that, accompanying himself on the 12-string, Arlo started with Chillin' of the Evening.

Next, he talked about sometimes losing his place in his set, sometimes before the second song. How, in New Orleans during one of these lapses, someone suggested that he sing "Louie, Louie", and someone then called for House of the Rising Sun. Since this is a song he actually knows, he continues to sing it. Arlo played his 6 string for this song, and for the rest of the songs until the intermission (I think...).

He talked about Wavy Gravy, and the saying, "If you remember the '60s, you weren't there," and took us right into Alice's Restaurant. I was thrilled, since I have never heard this song live! And, Deb, Pat, Sherry: I did not notice ANYONE headed toward the bathroom, ok? He pointed out that the song gets longer as time goes by, as he feels the need to add historic footnotes. He talked about recording the original Alice (is that Alice Mach 1?) in a studio, and then learning that "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was released the same day, and how Alice was obsolete on the day it was recorded.

He then told us that, even though the song has been lengthened, the new Alice (Mach 2?) recording is shorter than the first, because, Time has changed. He then told us about some "self inflicted" munchies in Philadelphia, which inspired him to eat 15 hot fudge sundaes. As he walked slowly and carefully back to the club, his friends stepped into a round kiddie pool and started a game of ring a rosie, and were then arrested. Ring Around A Rosie Rag was next. During this, he showed us how this song is actually "Swanee River", in disguise!

He told about being asked now to teach people about song writing, and that he just makes up stuff. About fishing for songs, and hoping that you don't fish downstream from a Bob Dylan... He told a hilarious story about pissing off the Radio Voiceover guy who was making the ad for his album in 1982, and that the guy threw down his headphones and stormed out. So, Arlo created an ad in which he imitated Dylan, saying that he always takes a break to listen to a new Arlo Guthrie record, when it comes out...

Next, Arlo shared a story about writing a song from a dream he'd had... (as Star squirmed in her seat, punching Keb in the arm), and he (THANK YOU ARLO!) sang Darkest Hour. You know I could've just left then. Happy, happy, happy. But, I stayed. (Heck, I was there all ready, and Keb had the keys to the car, so...)

Arlo told us that Poems sound like fruit, not something you do, and about the Mooses invading Massachussetts after NAFTA was signed, and then recited Mooses Come Walking.

During the intermission, Dawn and Emma told me that they were enjoying themselves, and we talked about what songs Keb and I thought that Arlo might sing (or that we might want him to sing) during the second set. We actually made some pretty strong guesses. Everything we guessed, he sang...

Sarah Lee accompanied her dad onstage for the second set. She wore a long black dress, nylons and black shoes. (I was going to say sensible black shoes, but, she is such a pretty thing, that even sensible shoes look very fashionable on her.)

Arlo talked about Pete, and the year Pete had agreed to sing a few songs at Carnegie, but then sang for the entire show. He also talked about singing one of Pete's songs on the Muppet Show with Kermit (though he fell in love with the pig). With that, Sarah Lee sang Pete's song, Golden River. They went right into the song of varying names - I believe the correct one is Gambler's Blues, though St. James Infirmary certainly seems fitting.

As Arlo tuned his 12 string, he spoke about learning to tune by sight (since everyone was looking at him). And, with a reference to the particle accelerator rings located around Fermilab, he said that they had gotten lost, and had driven round and round, faster all the time. That the place reminds him of a dog track and tea leaf reading... He then talked about Sarah Lee coming home from school one day and asking Arlo if he'd been at Woodstock, and he replied, he thought so... and she said, "Cool, Dude." They've pretty much been friends, ever since. He told about the cops in the helicopter on the way to Woodstock, and then about his experiences sitting in seat 36C on the way home from Denmark, and he next sang Comin' Into Los Angeles.

Arlo then went to the grand piano near the back of the small stage, and he shared (guessing on the title) a pretty song, Slow Boat Back Home. He returned to his six string, as Sarah started to tell us that she had decided that she was going to be normal, and go to college, but that her mom had thought she was rebelling, so now she is a folk singer. She sang (beautifully) Orphan Girl.

Arlo told a story about meeting Jack Daniels with Ma at Lazarus House in New Orleans, and then sang the song that he'd written for Jack, Wake Up Dead. He returned to the piano, and told the appreciative (Chicago!) audience about Steve Goodman, and the beer that Steve used to bribe Arlo to listen to his song, City of New Orleans.

He returned to his 6-string and told about his travels after being thrown out of college in Billings, MT, and shared The Motorcycle Song. (Dawn was happy about this, as it was the one song that she really remembered me telling her about...) He told a couple of stories about Hoyt, and how much he is missed. How Hoyt had survived several heart attacks and strokes, but really was doing ok, until he got pulled over by the Sheriff with about a pound of weed in his car... and had his honorary Sheriff's badge taken away. Sarah sang In a Young Girl's Mind.

Arlo told us that he is a Teller of Truths as best he remembers them, and there was a brief consideration that he run for President, after which he told about Woody's postage stamp, and how Arlo really only learned one song by actually sitting down and being taught by his dad, This Land Is Your Land. He shared the verses not listed in School Songbooks, and about how from the California to the New York Island might mean the long way around.

For the encore, Arlo kind of apologized for possibly not playing the song that someone had come to hear (but "what ya gonna do?"). As he was getting ready to start the encore, someone yelled out that Fermi was making an Anti-Neutron Bomb. Arlo asked if that was the one that takes clothes off of people, looked quickly into the audience, and said, "Let's finish fast." (Thank you for NOT looking at me when you said that, Arlo!)

Arlo told about Leadbelly selling "Goodnight Irene" to several record companies for $50 - from each company. He asked us to sing along, pointing out that there were only two words, we had a 50-50 shot of being right, and if we guessed wrong, don't change, since it would come around to meet us. We all sang Goodnight, Irene.

After the concert, I went to Dennis (on stage) and told him that Deb, Sherry and Pat love him. Then, we went out front into the cramped, HOT vestibule. Arlo gallantly signed arlographs for EVERYONE, I think. I got my copy of <u>This Is the Arlo Guthrie Book</u> signed. I told him that a few Blat friends said hi, and he talked briefly (as he moved onto the next Arlograph) about those "great guys". I tried to snap a couple of pics, but... well, we will just see!

I stepped outside and took some pictures of a dark bus in the dark. I am sure THOSE will turn out great. I talked to Dennis a little longer, outside. Back inside, I took Dennis's and Jessica's pictures (shook Jessica's hand, what a sweetie!), and then spoke with Sarah.

What a nice young woman! She signed my "program", and I offered howdies from those same Blat friends (she was THRILLED to hear from you, guys!) and asked her if the name 'Sarah 'n Dips' passes muster. She laughed, and was quite shy about her following - though she HAS seen the site, and the stuff that is posted about her. We talked for a bit, and Dennis held my "stuff" as I took a picture of Sarah alone, and then of Sarah and Keb.

Keb drove me home, came in to bid Peabody a fond farewell, checked in with home, and hit the road... I do not envy him that trip, and wish him a safe journey. Thanks to new Blunderites Dawn and Emma (who plans to see Arlo in January) and to my good friend Keb! Once I have my pictures developed, I will add or post a URL with my "post Concert" shots.

It was terrific to meet you Jessica and Dennis! Thank you Arlo and Sarah Lee.

<FONT size="1">Edited because I wrote this way too late at night, and messed stuff up. And once because i messed up again. Hopefully my next edit will be to add a link to some pictures...</FONT s>

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 2 times, lastly by Starchild on Jul 30, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 11:01 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Star!!! Gosh, I read every word of your concert review and then went back and read it again. I love Arlo's comments...One of my favorites has always been the creativity/Bob Dylan one. The last time I heard him talk about that though, (Raleigh, NC) the creativity was eeking down from the clouds, and if one kept at a state of attention, carefully poised with a pencil.....but advising standing UPWIND of Bob Dylan!!
He's so wonderful. I'm so happy that you shared all of this with us who didn't get to be there in person. I followed your excitement all week as you anticipated going, and wished it were me! Now, after reading your post, I feel a little like I had been there. I'd like to save what you said...is it possible to print that out? I don't know...I think I'll try it.
I use so many of Arlo's thoughts in my shows, let people know that he's so much of a humanitarian, so loving, caring and soooo humourous!!
Thank you again, Star. That meant a lot to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 11:43 am

Star, great report. glad you had a good time, wasn't Sarah the best? Are you ready to join her fan club?

Missed you last night in chat, sorry but in the future you and Fitzy can not both be absent at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 12:02 pm

Great reporting! you didnt tell people that you told Sarah, that a restraining order may be in order for me! meanie!!!!!
How fitting! Arlo & sarah lost at accelerator lab!!! Great reporting on a cool setlist/show!
Im reading a book, "Data Smog" by Davis Shenk, looking at the unhealthy side of technology on society. I'd heard of the book & knew he was cool cause he also wrote a "Deadhead Dictionary"
In the book, Shenk talks about the information gap developing as a result of technology. & how more & more info doesnt equate to knowledge! just "human system over-load". As a reaction, he sees us breaking into "niche groups" with less & less in common with our neighbors & societal members of different intrests. Mass media commonality doesnt substitute for real life shared experiences.
I see Arlo, & Sarah & Abe as living links to the humanistic, altruistic past, a direct link to Woody & a time when many paople shared hardships without the " I've got mine, & good luck to you" approach of today.
There are cultural angels , like Starchild, who are introducing people to Arlo, today, who by thier actions, strengthen that link!
Here's to Arlo-net & these postings & Blunderchat. May it & we always remember to " inlude" others & not further divide the emerging digital society we inhabit here.
wow, who spiked my coffee this AM? heehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 3:41 pm

Darn good Cub Reporting, star!

Onward!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 8:57 pm

great reporting, star! it was like being there, thanks!! btw...so glad you got to hear your song. Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 11:55 pm

Thanks for the great report STARCHILD for us unlucky enough not to be able to attend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 12:33 am

Amazing post, Star! You made my day! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 4:38 am

Arlo Fanatic

Great report! We look forward to seeing more reports from you! Image & the Pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 10:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

Great detail Star! What can I say except your report was very Cherlyesque!! High praise don't you know!

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Larry on Jul 31, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 10:42 pm

Great review - you have a keen eye for detail, starchild. I'm sure glad to see that he did a lot of MY favorites as well! After a weekend of crankin' up the LPs on my turntable, I'll be ready and waiting for the Boulder show in October!

Thanks, starchild! Image

Z-man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 10:23 pm

could you repeat that????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 9:07 pm

Wonderful report, Starchild! I enjoyed it very much. You're a great reporter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 11:51 pm

Here is a starting point for pictures, for
those interested. I think I have all the
web pages linked together... more or less...
as planned... well... um... ENJOY!

Arlo at Fermilab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 2:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Nice site! It's nice to read about the Arlo gigs I didn't get to go to cuz they are too far from me. Sounds like a fun nite! If Arlo's in it it is. Image