Encore

Amazing Grace
Under Cover of Night

2nd Encore

Goodnight Irene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 6:57 pm

show report..

it was another wonderful concert by arlo and family. arlo surprised a few of us in the audience by starting with "my front pages". we all swear he played a couple of chords of "chilling of the evening", before singing "my front pages". sarah joined arlo and abe partway through the first set..for "ukelele lady", then stayed the rest of the evening. we learned that the hand motions she's been doing for "ukelele lady" started with hoyt axton. the song she did "in a young girl's mind" was one for hoyt. she did a beautiful job with it.

in the second set, when arlo did "get along little doggies", he stopped to talk a bit about cows. funny stuff...and it wasn't only the audience who was laughing...both arlo and abe lost it for a while.

"keys to the highway" was, as usual, great..and abe was outstanding on keyboards.

it was so good to hear arlo do "amazing grace" again..i've missed it. thanks, arlo. :)

the harmonies on "under cover of night" were exceptional...one of my favorites.

all in all, a great gig! some different songs and stories, and all the guthries were in fine form. the audience was very enthusiastic..to the point of some people giving arlo a standing ovation for alice's. my guess is they don't go to quite so many of arlo's gigs as others of us. just have to say, please don't do that...it'll only encourage him. (just kidding...sort of) :)

also, it was really nice to see so many old friends. we HAVE to keep meeting like this! :)

[This message has been edited by deb (edited November 14, 1999).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 7:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

And a great rendition of the Motorcycle Song with a kind of jazzy blues feel to according to my in-house music critics. And he sang it straight through.
As to everything else, I guess I have to say, yeah, what Deb said. It was great as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 9:59 pm

The W!zard

Yup, had a blast... the "Get Along Little Doggies" was a trip and a half!!! Moooooo....... wonder if that was inspired by a certain picture in the gallery of some weirdos that have been seen around here wearing cow pajamas?!

I didn't think I was gonna get to hear Under Cover of Night (my favorite song of all), since Arlo set the 12 string back down after the Motorcycle song... and then I figured that after Amazing Grace we were done, as is usually the case. The place was packed too... which is always great to see!!!

Kim also pointed out that if you listened to the main riff in the Motorcycle Song the way he did it last night you could vert easily hear another song that Arlo thought he wrote... but apparently he hasn't realized yet that he was in actuallity playing the theme from Sesame Street! Maybe he's been hanging around with Serena a lot lately???

Anyway it was a great evening, and really nice to be able to spend some time with friends that I don't get to see often enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 10:56 pm

dave...too funny about the motorcycle song. i was just enjoying it...didn't realize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 1:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

Well, the Motorcycle Song came before Sesame Street, so it looks like the folk processing is on the other foot this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 11:51 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Looks like everyone got home okay. It was great seeing you all and we wished we could have hung out but thats the way it goes when you rely on public transportation.
Good to hear Amazing Grace back in the set list and it was fun watching Arlo and Abe "lose it"; Arlo hiding behind his guitar laughing and I thought Abe was gonna fall off his seat. Arlo quote: "It's Abe's fault!"
See you all at Carnegie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 12:09 pm

johnc...it was great to see you and regina, and to see you looking in fine form! please, pay attention to the doctors and regina so you don't have to go scaring us like that again! we love you! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 12:11 pm

hi there! thanks for posting about the keswick show, everyone. my sister got sick and i had to take her home...just as "alice" was starting ;} ..and i was wondering what arlo played and all.

...i finally got back to glenside at 10 p.m. and thought i could make the second half...but after driving around a 2 block radius for 20 minutes, i could not find a parking space!!!!!!! yeah, tell me about it!

it was nice seeing some of your faces, though...and i'm glad everyone enjoyed the show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 2:42 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks Deb, Regina and I were discussing on the way home how everyone has "taken us in" and well, just how nice that is. So no more scares, I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 2:50 pm

lisad..what a drag. i hope your sister is feeling better. sorry we didn't get to meet you.

johnc.. :) see you soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 3:48 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

well..it seems that everyone has said what i might have said already...so i'll just agree with everyone! :)

it was a great show and a great day and a great weekend and a wonderful time..

good food, good music, good friends, good grief! :)

johnc and regina....an extra special treat to see you ...now john..you behave...no more scaring us for attention...just ask! LOL

bill..i know you dont usually read stuff out here..but if you do..it was nice to meet your dad!

everyone else..it was great to have some time to hang out and drink tea etc...hugs and junk...and i'm probably off topic just a bit..but oh well..you cant always do what you're supposed to!

oh..here's the topic.. it was GREAT to hear grace again..i sure have missed it...

whoopie ti yi yo!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 5:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Wudda ya mean Arlo didn't open with Chilling of the Evening?! And how could you guys go without me?!?! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 5:39 pm

we missed you, larry..but i'm quite sure i felt your spirit there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 5:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Are you sure it was my spirit that you felt deb, or did you just have some bad tacos?
I think I'm ****ing on this thread, and I better cut it out! I missed you guys too!