Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:12 am

The Folkslinger

What a journey the last 30+ years has been. Today (June 2, 2020) everything we moved out of the old CrabHouse is moving into the newly renovated house here in The Berkshires. While it's always fun to recreate a space, it's at the same time one of those transitions that most people can't wait to be done with.

The kids and especially the grandkids have been out in the streets letting our political leaders know the future is already here, and it would be good if they embraced it rather than resist the evolving nature of what it means to be an American. Justice is always in transition too until such time as everyone feels it is balanced. That's what those scales are all about. I've always had a fondness for blind justice, as some of you know.

Marti is down stairs instructing the movers as to where everything is going. I'm up at my desk thinking about things. My kitty is hanging out with me. Cantina is not a big fan of strange men coming and going with large pieces of furniture. I need to grab a cup of fresh coffee, and lend a hand. Back to Massachusetts - Moving Back Day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Your love of coffee makes me straight away want to celebrate a cup of tea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:36 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:

I love a good cup of tea usually in the evening (with some cookies). But, I am a coffee person generally. Especially in the morning when it becomes essential. The elixir of life - caffeine. Hahahaha. I'm looking into yaupon, the only caffeine plant native to the Americas (?). Prized by Native Americans especially in the Southeast in the old days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

I love a good cup of tea usually in the evening (with some cookies). But, I am a coffee person generally. Especially in the morning when it becomes essential. The elixir of life - caffeine. Hahahaha. I'm looking into yaupon, the only caffeine plant native to the Americas (?). Prized by Native Americans especially in the Southeast in the old days.

Yeah I love my tea in the morning…Or, anytime after that if I feel like it too?
While I don’t much go for sweets generally (not like never though), the mention of tea and cookies (especially in the evening!) always invites you in.

I think this is the first I have ever heard of yaupon. That is so cool! I’m curious about it now too!

I have had yerba mate which is from South America (pretty sure), but it was so long ago I don’t even remember what it tastes like. According to an old herb book that was my Mom’s, originally published in 1968, but this edition is from 1974 (I used to love reading through that book all the time. I would just read it and read it) anyway according to this book yerba mate is really a wonderful herb!

It is funny, the opening page here I am reminded, quotes a scripture saying something about the Lord created medicines out of the earth, and a wise person won’t abhor them—says it is from Ecclesiastes but it doesn’t say where, so I bothered to go find it,,,turns out it is not Ecclesiastes, but Ecclesiasticus 38:4. Well I don’t remember ever seeing Ecclesiasticus anywhere, not even in the KJV I have (Why is that I wonder?)
So I see somewhere mentions Sirach, and I check one other bible I have which is the Jerusalem bible for either of those names and find Ecclesiasticus with a reference of “Si” by it and find Ecclesiasticus 38:4, right there.

All that because you brought up yaupon, hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:44 pm

The Folkslinger

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy Full Moon!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:04 am

The Folkslinger

A little cloudy late in the evening but as night came on the moon rose above the clouds. At least I got to see a little bit of it from here. This was as the moon began to rise thru the clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That is great! It was thunderstorms here last night so it was,,,you know,,,but yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 am

The Folkslinger

It’s sorta like the end of the movie ‘The Jerk’ when they rebuild the old place. It looks the same only a little bigger. That’s essentially what we did here.

Same idea - bottom is from 2017 top is from yesterday (2020).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, it lets a little more light in too, with the windows the way they are ?

They both look homey though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:33 pm

The Folkslinger

We had light coming in on the east side. But it was high up in the gable end. Originally before built the addition we had a high gable end window in the west side as well. Now after the latest upgrade there’s more light coming in the eastern side and it’s not as high. A little different but it works great. Especially in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes, that lovely recharging light!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:30 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:

As we get more done and looking good, I'll post some update pixies. Right now Marti & I have been outdoors planting shrubs and flowers - Getting ready for summer. As it warms up we tend to spend a lot of time outdoors. Believe it or not it's still pretty chilly in the early morning when I generally start wandering around. In the 40s the last few days. But, that'll change as we go forward. That's maybe the best thing about living in rural areas - You get to spend time outdoors where there's no one around, so there's little risk health-wise. Despite what the advertisers and venues may be hoping, I doubt we'll get back back to work this year. I'd love to be wrong. Meanwhile we're making the best out of where we are, which includes basking in the sunlight. And hoping for better days to come for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

As we get more done and looking good, I'll post some update pixies. Right now Marti & I have been outdoors planting shrubs and flowers - Getting ready for summer. As it warms up we tend to spend a lot of time outdoors. Believe it or not it's still pretty chilly in the early morning when I generally start wandering around. In the 40s the last few days. But, that'll change as we go forward. That's maybe the best thing about living in rural areas - You get to spend time outdoors where there's no one around, so there's little risk health-wise. Despite what the advertisers and venues may be hoping, I doubt we'll get back back to work this year. I'd love to be wrong. Meanwhile we're making the best out of where we are, which includes basking in the sunlight. And hoping for better days to come for everyone.

Yeah, I would love for you to be wrong too. Everyone would really like for everything to be [more] normal (I know, a subjective word) right now, but it’s like we are trying to sort things out as best we can. As we go. Everything you do is approached differently.
People right around here tend to be considerate of one another when we must venture out. There seems to be an understanding for the most part that our actions are for self and other. It’s like, I am walking way over here, no hard feelings. Yes, no hard feelings.
That is just for the everyday ordinary stuff.

There is a lot going on.

And yes, we could all use all the healing we can get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Just saw your sunrise “pixie” on FB, And as if the prisms in the morning clouds / atmosphere weren’t enough

When i saw the pixies of your place posted here I thought to myself, “Rainbows could be everywhere!”