Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: 2019 Fall Season Begins
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 am

The Folkslinger

The summer of 2019 is over and we're beginning to see the first signs of Autumn. The leaves are changing color on many of the local trees up in the hills. Any day now we'll be heading out for a few weeks of travel to parts unfamiliar, and maybe visit some favorite places we were introduced to when we were working but didn't get much of a chance to enjoy. There are special places to everyone, and I'm no exception - Places you want to absorb rather than simply rush through on your way to somewhere else. Some are more local, and others far away. Nice to get a chance to revisit those kinds of places and enjoy the friends we've encountered along the way.

We've been making progress rebuilding our home throughout the summer. It's a fairly big project, even though we're mostly just rebuilding what was already there. I'm a natural born hillbilly so nothing you can't put your feet on gets built around here. We don't call it "the farm" for nothing.

A reporter once asked me what we grew on our farm, and I simply said "rocks." The old timers built stone walls everywhere, not because they wanted to, but because there was nowhere else to put the stones that kept appearing out of nowhere. They just came up from the ground, like a cultivated crop. We spent years and decades removing the stones from the fields, one at a time, the kids grew up throwing them in the back of the old wagon we dragged behind the tractor. But the stone just kept coming. Eventually, we more or less gave up. The stone won. No wonder many of the old farmers went westward. They weren't looking for greener pastures, they were looking for pastures without rocks. Much the same way Native Americans moved around, not looking for more territory as much as looking for territory with better hunting. Food has always been a big deal.

So I ended up being a rock farmer. So far, so good. After food, safe shelter becomes a good idea. We're rebuilding the place that has provided us shelter for over 50 years. It'll be more or less complete this year, maybe sometime this fall before the winter sets in. That'd be good.

Anyway, that's the Fall update from here at the farm. A welcome to the season and a time to begin putting away the things of summer. More later...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 pm

The Folkslinger

We tow a trailer behind the bus. Earlier today had two tires blow out on it. What should’ve been a 3.5 hour trek turned into 8 hours. Got to the gig without the trailer just in time to set up and play. Picking up the trailer on the way to the hotel tonight if we can change some tires. What a start to the fall leg of the tour!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I hope that on the way back, things with the trailer carried through without a hitch! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:41 pm

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
I hope that on the way back, things with the trailer carried through without a hitch! :)

We got back without any problems! Now we're swapping out the tires getting rid of the old ones and having new ones put on. Should be good to go when we leave in another couple days. WE even got some tools just in case. The trailer was meant to be towed by a car so that the tools that usually come with cars these days could be used on the trailer. Bus tools don't work on these little things. It's always something you don't think about, but probably shoulda.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

We got back without any problems! Now we're swapping out the tires getting rid of the old ones and having new ones put on. Should be good to go when we leave in another couple days. WE even got some tools just in case. The trailer was meant to be towed by a car so that the tools that usually come with cars these days could be used on the trailer. Bus tools don't work on these little things. It's always something you don't think about, but probably shoulda.

I guess it is best to change them all at once (sounds like you are saying) since two blew out together.

Windshield wipers tend to be that way too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:36 pm

ArloNetizen

Arlo, May today’s memories bring you warmth, happiness and peace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:07 am

The Folkslinger

Oct. 14th we celebrate the life of my wife, Jackie, who left us on this day in 2012. The moments, days and years go by one after the other, and yet they're all connected by the inexpressible. The continue into some kind of resolution that comes about eventually - Or maybe it's just our individual ways of trying to understand what cannot be understood. In other words, we just go on...

We're off on down the road today - Heading for Dekalb, IL. Early start and arrive there sometime tomorrow. We have about 5 gigs lined up in 3 cities so not like a big tour. The full moon last night was pretty awesome. The coffee is good. My shorthand notes for today notwithstanding, It's another day in the life. And we're going to make the most of it to bring a smile or two to our friends along the road. See you out there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It is not a new thought, but I love it that we all see the same moon. Yesterday I could see the signs in the sky by its brightness, I knew it was there but I couldn’t see it.

Tonight and the night before yesternight,,,,Heaven!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:59 am

The Folkslinger

First of 5 gigs tonight on this short run. Dekalb, Chicago and Ann Arbor coming up. We got the band back together in Joliet - how appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I believe everything that happened in this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbq0OuJtErs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:19 pm

The Folkslinger

Yeah that was pretty awesome!!! We're in Chicago. And we got the band together!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:54 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
Oct. 14th we celebrate the life of my wife, Jackie, who left us on this day in 2012. The moments, days and years go by one after the other, and yet they're all connected by the inexpressible. The continue into some kind of resolution that comes about eventually - Or maybe it's just our individual ways of trying to understand what cannot be understood. In other words, we just go on...

We're off on down the road today - Heading for Dekalb, IL. Early start and arrive there sometime tomorrow. We have about 5 gigs lined up in 3 cities so not like a big tour. The full moon last night was pretty awesome. The coffee is good. My shorthand notes for today notwithstanding, It's another day in the life. And we're going to make the most of it to bring a smile or two to our friends along the road. See you out there!

God Bless you and your family. Have a great few gigs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:55 am

The Folkslinger

We got to try out a new ukulele in Ann Arbor during our sound check. We used it for Ukulele Lady! It’s pretty great! Today we head home arriving sometime this evening. We have a little more than a week before we head back to the Midwest.

The Ukulele is made from Koa wood, by the great Ukulele maker, "Pegasus Bob" Gleason. It's a real treasure. I'm thrilled to have one.

Post subject: 2019 Fall Season Begins
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 am

The Folkslinger

oops again... I accidentally deleted a post by Agnes where she asked if the wood was fiddle back maple. When I tried to answer things got messed up. Anyway, I answered above. Geez... I'll get used to this forum one of these decades.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

:) …

So Koa you say,,,very cool (just read a little bit about it)