Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm

The Folkslinger

Well, there we were on the site of the original stage where the 1969 Woodstock Festival took place. Bethel Woods promised to build us a stage with a sound system on that very spot, but they didn't follow through. So we were left to turn around and go home, or perform on some other stage they had built in another location. I was kicking those choices around when my daughter, Annie came up with a solution - Play a song out on the field where it actually happened, then do a gig on the stage they built. That's what I did. The sound system wasn't able to cover the folks who had showed up, but we did the best we could under the circumstances, and had a good time doing it anyway. I think most of our friends went away happy. We went home the next day and in good ol' Woodstock tradition, got naked and jumped in the water. No drugs or free love (yet) but we thought of the whole experience as being more or less a positive one. Of all the people who performed at the original festival, I may be the only one who got to sing a song on the actual original site. I kind of wished more of my old friends could've been there to do that also, but it's a different era. I definitely felt a lot of my old friends being there with me anyway, especially Richie Havens - we go back a long time. Pretty soon we'll all be in the same boat, showing up but only to those aware and sensitive enough to notice. I'm happy I had this chance. Thank you to all who came in body or in spirit... It all counts. Onward!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I love that Annie came up with that idea. (Thank you Annie!) And I love it that you did it. I am happy for you and Richie Havens and everyone else that you managed to do that.

It was a very special moment in time, to acknowledge and remember.

Thank you. More than that. I am just happy about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 am

The Folkslinger

We were thrilled too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

https://www.facebook.com/arloguthrie/ph ... permPage=1

Arlo, is this a Trompe L’oeil? It is a cool picture of you in front of it that does trick the eye a bit! (is why I ask)

I can’t even tell if it is a painting or a photograph put up ?

I understand how you feel though, when you say it. But I didn’t even think of all that stuff when you first said it (In an earlier post here). I imagine too you will rediscover more of your beautiful self in the letters mentioned for instance (which I have not ever seen)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:40 pm

The Folkslinger

It wasn’t meant to be anything artsy. Just a photo of me standing in front of the main exhibit window outside the Woody Guthrie Center. Kind of saying "I got here." But, it was over 100 degrees, so as happy as I was to be there, I was even happier to get out of Dodge and get back to the farm where it's at least a little more like it. Got back Wednesday evening and woke up Thursday to some gorgeous colors in the skies. Got coffee, got cooler, and got a couple of days to get back to almost normal (well, my version of it).

The photo in the window is a self portrait I did a few years ago, and they decided to use it for the exhibit. I also have a photo of me standing in front of the same window when they had a picture of Pete Seeger there (a while ago)... Taking pix in front of the window has now become a ritual. If I can find the one of me and Pete, I'll post it. At least I got to tune his banjo for their exhibit back then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 am

The Folkslinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hahaha I am actually in 3D, so there ya go.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:

Arlo, did you accidentally edit my post? Because I didn’t say that.

Here is what I said:

“ Oh wow! Thanks for sharing that.

And now I have a better idea what I am seeing.

I guess I could tone it down a bit and just say it (the one of you) looks a little bit 3D :) “

That up there sounds more like something you would have said in response. But it wasn’t me who said it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 pm

The Folkslinger

Nope... I didn't edit anything, just pointing out that as I (and everyone else) is 3D, it'd not be unusual to look that way in a picture. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Nope... I didn't edit anything, just pointing out that as I (and everyone else) is 3D, it'd not be unusual to look that way in a picture. :)

I didn’t think you edited the picture. I think you may have accidentally edited my post, because I didn’t post this. These are not my words. (though I think they are a funny response, as you again point out) :

agnes wrote:

Below is what I actually posted, but it has disappeared from my original post:

“ Oh wow! Thanks for sharing that.

And now I have a better idea what I am seeing.

I guess I could tone it down a bit and just say it (the one of you) looks a little bit 3D :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 am

The Folkslinger

Yeh I did see that, read it etc. Don't know what happened, but I didn't intentionally do anything to change it. Hahaha just bugs or something... Mystery creatures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I didn’t think you did it intentionally. It was just disorienting to me when I saw it, haha…

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:59 am

The Folkslinger

No major announcements, but the news is we did a gig in Holyoke, MA last night. A free event for their annual "Celebrate Holyoke" themed 3 day event. We used to do that particular gig all the time, every year until they abandoned the event about 15 years ago. The city brought back the event a few years ago, and this was the first chance we had to participate. It was great to return, and so easy for us to get there and back. Abe, Terry and I played two 45 minute sets for the large crowd, and we got to taste some of the food from the vendors surrounding the park where it was held. All good stuff! And now (today - Sunday, August 25th) we get a real day off in the first days of autumn. A day to run around in skimpy outfits by the cement pond and enjoy this time of year (not many bugs etc.). A cup of coffee, a glass of wine, and a taste of scotch - in that order as the day moves onward. Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like a lot of fun. A great little event,,,especially right about now. :)

Whether it is playing instruments, or just playing in general!

Glad the festival came back.

Anyhow, some great weather around here as well.

Cheers! And enjoy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 pm

ArloNetizen

Arlo such great pics of you in front of pics of you and Pete. You are still so handsome.
I’m with ya on first, the coffee, then the wine and then a taste of scotch. Sometimes a bit of scotch in hot tea at night makes a lovely night night drink. Personally prefer my scotch straight up. Only do it rarely. On the other hand I recently bought a bottle of Bob Dylan’s “Heaven’s Door” bourbon. It’s tasty. Don’t normally drink bourbon but had to try it. I will keep it my my cabinet. Enjoy your final days of skimpy wear at the concrete pond. Will see you in 2020 in San Francisco with Folkuke.