Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 am

The Folkslinger

It's been absolutely fabulous for the last week or so weather-wise, especially as time allows to see family and a few friends coming to visit. It's great feeling like a regular person doing normal things. Marti has been out planting flowers and shrubs to make the old farm sparkle. Hard to believe we're about half way through summer already. Our buddy, Nigel Martyn came in from Ireland last evening, for a short visit. I've been working with him since late in the last century, mostly in Ireland but we've made forays into the UK as well. I haven't been there in a while. Nice to catch up.

I also saw in the news, that my old buddy Michael Lang is hosting his Woodstock 50 Festival in the Washington, DC area and according to the press, it'll be FREE to attend. That's pretty great! I hope it all goes well. We're still planning to be at the original site August 15th for our own FREE event. The towns surrounding the site, nervous about hordes of old hippies coming out of nowhere are limiting the attendance. Good luck with that. Normally walkers, canes and wheelchairs wouldn't be considered a threat, but it's making me laugh anyway.

I don't imagine most of my peers have thought about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll for a while - but ya never know. Some of us still have a little sparkle left. Running through fields, streams and ponds naked is likewise unlikely for anyone who was there 50 years ago. That's best for people who were born during the 25th anniversary, at least as far as I'm concerned.

All that is still a few weeks away, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. Just the chance to see some old friends in familiar places will be fun. Meanwhile, before that we're heading back to The Flying Monkey, in Plymouth, NH and to Maine (Ogunquit) to do a gig at Jonathan's. Both very friendly places for me personally. But, I'm heading out to enjoy the day. Enough blogging for the moment... It's another gorgeous day, and it's calling me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Maybe I’ll be able to catch some highlights on TV or something, and if lucky, even get a glimpse of some free spirited star rainbow elders in cool water meditations, all invited!

As far as clothes, whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:48 pm

The Folkslinger

Now that my old buddy, Michael Lang has officially cancelled his Woodstock 50 event, we're expecting our little event to take on a little more significance. After all, we'll be back on the hill - the original site - 50 years to the day. I have no idea what to expect, and neither does anyone else. I've heard rumors that it's a limited accessibility kind of thing, which in my guess-timation has more to do with surrounding town governments and less than what Bethel Woods (the owners of the site) would have wanted. But, it'll be whatever it is, and we'll be there. I'm even bringing clothes. I sent some of the clothes I wore to the original event to Tulsa, OK for their exhibit on me coming up soon. I couldn't believe I even had some of that. But, we don't usually throw stuff out around here. They wouldn't have fit anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

https://www.facebook.com/arloguthrie/po ... 8600710195

Such a lovely post!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Now that my old buddy, Michael Lang has officially cancelled his Woodstock 50 event, we're expecting our little event to take on a little more significance. After all, we'll be back on the hill - the original site - 50 years to the day. I have no idea what to expect, and neither does anyone else. I've heard rumors that it's a limited accessibility kind of thing, which in my guess-timation has more to do with surrounding town governments and less than what Bethel Woods (the owners of the site) would have wanted. But, it'll be whatever it is, and we'll be there. I'm even bringing clothes. I sent some of the clothes I wore to the original event to Tulsa, OK for their exhibit on me coming up soon. I couldn't believe I even had some of that. But, we don't usually throw stuff out around here. They wouldn't have fit anyway.

Maybe stir up some ghosts?

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:27 pm

The Folkslinger

Who ya gonna call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

These ghosts are more like Casper ?

I don’t wanna call anyone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 am

The Folkslinger

I don't want anyone calling me either. I like ghosts (for the most part).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:46 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
I don't want anyone calling me either. I like ghosts (for the most part).

As long as they are friendly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am

The Folkslinger

Don't know much about ghosts but the spirits of Woodstock past will be in the air this week. Gonna be a good week for that anyway (hopefully). Happy to accommodate any and all who can make it to the site. We need all the help we can get. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Don't know much about ghosts but the spirits of Woodstock past will be in the air this week. Gonna be a good week for that anyway (hopefully). Happy to accommodate any and all who can make it to the site. We need all the help we can get. :)

Yeah, we could use all the help we can get! :)

Good vibes up! And have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 am

The Folkslinger

I'm planning on it! Should be a great time... Crazy, but fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:54 am

BlunderVirgin

Hey Arlo, I saw the PBS documentary on Woodstock. They called the first night, "the folk night."

...which got me wondering why Pete Seeger didn't play it? Seemed like he should've been there. Is there a story behind why he wasn't?

You probably saw or heard of the Newport Folk Tribute to Pete, with the little booklets they passed out.

I thought it's really touching that Pete played the song to honor Woody, and now all these years later, people play it to honor Pete. There's the video in case you didn't see it.

The performance left out the last lines, "Nobody living..." but the lyrics were in the booklet.

Seemed like you should've been there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM_ZcDQ2_w8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am

The Folkslinger

I have no idea why Pete wouldn't have played Woodstock, although I would assume he was invited to perform, as were many others who declined. Maybe he was engaged somewhere else at the time. No one knew in advance what a historic moment it would become. I know we didn't, and in fact we booked another gig the following day or so, so we had to leave the Woodstock Festival earlier than we would have wished. As for Newport - We will return there one of these summers, all has to do with conflicting dates etc.