Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Pool parties too. They kept us late, paraded then partied us afterwards. Good times.

My rock n roll soul is starting to cry out to me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

For lots of gigs back in the day I just played for free beer, and for the club/bar owner that wasn't always such a good deal......I bet alot of them wished afterwards that they had just paid me in cash :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

We've locally seen some jams shut down because BMI or ASCAP came after them...they still exist, but they're not publicly advertised anymore...it's harder for those organizations to get into people's private homes and prevent people from playing music for themselves and for the joy if it.
They've been after our little local Folk Club for awhile...the restaurant owner where we meet pays ASCAP and BMI fees to cover anything played, live or canned, in the restaurant, but BMI isn't satisfied with that. They want us to pony up what amounts to more than we make in once-a-month concerts for the entire year; any cash taken in goes to pay the performer and pay for stuff, like new mics, cords, newsletter expenses, we replaced our soundboard awhile back, etc. and we operate on a non-profit basis. We're operated by only volunteers, no member gets paid, and all cash gets plowed back into the club's operating expenses. They don't have a category for small (70 seats) once a week clubs like ours...they expect us to pay the same as a large venue having shows weekly would pay. It's legal extortion, all so Beyonce can get her royalty check...our songwriters/performers are never going to see a dime of that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

I've had the discussion, "Why do the kids hate us and why are they so willing to rip us off with illegal downloads?" and replied as long as BMI/ASCAP are willing to pound the little rooms with a kid in the corner into the ground for a few shekels more, don't expect them to give a damm about your royalty checks.

And so it goes.

Don't play for free if someone else is being paid for the same service. Word gets around. Unfortunately, Gresham's Law prevails and the rates paid tend not to go up. In some ways, BMI/ASCAP aside, gigs are rogue capitalism at it's rawest. Supply and demand rules. If you can put enough butts in seats, they negotiate and you work. If you don't care about that, they don't care what you ask; you're a door prop. There are always other bands and acts lining up to get the gig and will play for less. Just sayin'... others have a different take.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

WHAT??? I think I lost my hearing from listening to a CD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am

Arlo Fanatic

That's ok, Cheryl. Possibly there wasn't much worth listening to.

Meanwhile, the beat goes on (quickly followed by the hippie):

http://lamammals.blogspot.com/2010/08/aroma-party-founder-interview.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

hmm...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i see your hmm (hmm...)

and i raise it two

hmm... hmm...

(hope i did that right)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think you did, but if you're not careful it'll sound like you're clearing your throat...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 am

BlunderVirgin

I'm doing a little necroposting, but to come back to the topic, everyone and their mother downloads these days, and I'm fairly sure that musicians don't live in poverty. In fact, many of them have never been so rich! I'd be inclined to think that no matter how much music a person downloads, if they really enjoy a singer/band, they'll still pay them through concert tickets, merchandise...
It's the distributors and producers who want more money, the most downloaded artists are the ones with the highest earnings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Lancer21 wrote:
I'm doing a little necroposting, but to come back to the topic, everyone and their mother downloads these days, and I'm fairly sure that musicians don't live in poverty. In fact, many of them have never been so rich! I'd be inclined to think that no matter how much music a person downloads, if they really enjoy a singer/band, they'll still pay them through concert tickets, merchandise...
It's the distributors and producers who want more money, the most downloaded artists are the ones with the highest earnings.

I actually have not ever downloaded any music. I have (obviously) watched u-tube videos which I love and have found music I never knew of, along with music that others have shared as well, and have acquired by purchase as I can. So happy to know what is out there.