Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Texas - Here We Come!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 am

The Folkslinger

Last night in New Orleans at Tipitina's was pretty wild. Mardi Gras is still a little ways away, but that isn't stopping people from getting their party on early. We weren't even close to the French Quarter but there were revelers roaming the streets even in the Garden District (where we were). People seem to just love any excuse to have fun. I'm with them.

It also marked the end of our southeast run, as we trek over to Texas today. It was really nice to feel some moist warm air - Makes it much easier to sing. The cold air usually isn't just cold, it's also dry, and that makes it hard to sing, talk, or do anything with your voice. At least that's how it works for me.

Now we're looking at a few days in Houston to regroup, and get our act together before the final three shows of this leg. Houston, Austin and Dallas (Richardson) coming right up... Three is a row. And all in really nice venues. Pix to follow.

I'm not sure if any more than a half dozen folks actually read this stuff, but I like the idea of setting down the thoughts somewhere, and this seems like the best place to do it, with a couple of pictures included from time to time (now that I figured out how to do it). We're out of here (Louisiana) in less than an hour, then off to Houston some 300+ miles away. We'll get in sometime later this afternoon.

We haven't played Texas as much as I'd like recently, as we used to be all over the state years ago. But, we're making up for it now. And I'm looking forward to it. Lots of old friends and family that we'd love to catch up with. They've got me scheduled for a bunch of interviews and things like that also. So not much down time, still it'll be good.

Sarah Lee, me and Jackie's youngest - turns 40 today. That's a mile marker for ya. We surprised her last night with a New Orleans style birthday cake and some presents. Always a fun thing with our road family. But, now we're off and running... Texas - Here we come!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:51 am

The Folkslinger

Goodbye wherever we were staying last couple of nights! Nice to be moving on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Last night in New Orleans at Tipitina's was pretty wild. Mardi Gras is still a little ways away, but that isn't stopping people from getting their party on early. We weren't even close to the French Quarter but there were revelers roaming the streets even in the Garden District (where we were). People seem to just love any excuse to have fun. I'm with them.

It also marked the end of our southeast run, as we trek over to Texas today. It was really nice to feel some moist warm air - Makes it much easier to sing. The cold air usually isn't just cold, it's also dry, and that makes it hard to sing, talk, or do anything with your voice. At least that's how it works for me.

Now we're looking at a few days in Houston to regroup, and get our act together before the final three shows of this leg. Houston, Austin and Dallas (Richardson) coming right up... Three is a row. And all in really nice venues. Pix to follow.

I'm not sure if any more than a half dozen folks actually read this stuff, but I like the idea of setting down the thoughts somewhere, and this seems like the best place to do it, with a couple of pictures included from time to time (now that I figured out how to do it). We're out of here (Louisiana) in less than an hour, then off to Houston some 300+ miles away. We'll get in sometime later this afternoon.

We haven't played Texas as much as I'd like recently, as we used to be all over the state years ago. But, we're making up for it now. And I'm looking forward to it. Lots of old friends and family that we'd love to catch up with. They've got me scheduled for a bunch of interviews and things like that also. So not much down time, still it'll be good.

Sarah Lee, me and Jackie's youngest - turns 40 today. That's a mile marker for ya. We surprised her last night with a New Orleans style birthday cake and some presents. Always a fun thing with our road family. But, now we're off and running... Texas - Here we come!

Happy Birthday Sarah Lee!

And much love to Folk Uke Cathy and Folk Uke Amy! (In Austin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:23 pm

The Folkslinger

Got to Houston with no troubles. Geez this is a big town! We're heading to a Mexican restaurant that's supposed to be pretty good around here. The ones we were looking at in Louisiana had pretty bad reviews, so this looks better. Always fun to be in Texas!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:29 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
Got to Houston with no troubles. Geez this is a big town! We're heading to a Mexican restaurant that's supposed to be pretty good around here. The ones we were looking at in Louisiana had pretty bad reviews, so this looks better. Always fun to be in Texas!

I have friends in Houston. I can ask where the good places are. I have family in San Antonio, Bryan and near Lake Conroe. I also have a friend in Plano. I know your #1 daughter lives in Texas, cuz you said so. Hope you found a great place to eat.
That hotel or whatever it was you posted a pic of in LA looked not great. Was it comfortable and clean at least?
Well dear have a great time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am

The Folkslinger

New Orleans was fine... hotel a little funky, but we get that sometimes. And we're happy to be in Houston for a few nights down time. Ours is a pretty insulated group, so it's difficult to take up recommendations from anyone, as a group. Once in a great while something comes along that everyone agrees is worth doing as a herd, but most often people like discovering things on their own. Same goes for me. I've been to almost all these towns at one time or another and have a few favorite places I like revisiting. Naturally, these days off aren't really "off" as they've got me set up with projects, filming, interviews, discussions, meetings - All the usual stuff. And it's all worked out long in advance. That's one of the reasons I love being back on the river, where everyone knows I'm really "off" and won't be getting any requests for anything. The phone hardly ever rings, and no one comes by. I get to play like a kid, take my pix, and go out to my favorite restaurants. I love all that. And it's coming up in about a week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:13 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
New Orleans was fine... hotel a little funky, but we get that sometimes. And we're happy to be in Houston for a few nights down time. Ours is a pretty insulated group, so it's difficult to take up recommendations from anyone, as a group. Once in a great while something comes along that everyone agrees is worth doing as a herd, but most often people like discovering things on their own. Same goes for me. I've been to almost all these towns at one time or another and have a few favorite places I like revisiting. Naturally, these days off aren't really "off" as they've got me set up with projects, filming, interviews, discussions, meetings - All the usual stuff. And it's all worked out long in advance. That's one of the reasons I love being back on the river, where everyone knows I'm really "off" and won't be getting any requests for anything. The phone hardly ever rings, and no one comes by. I get to play like a kid, take my pix, and go out to my favorite restaurants. I love all that. And it's coming up in about a week.

I understand about recommendations. Hahah, turns out my friend lives in Austin not Houston. Oh well. The bigger issue is the time off. We all deserve time off where you can hibernate, rest your soul and renew your mind, body and soul. Even I need that and I’m sure not as many people are demanding my time as they are yours. When I’ve had a particularly tough day or just a busy, long day in the ER I need time alone, time to contemplate my navel, as it were. Time to think and time to just breathe. Meditate about the air or nothing at all, re-align the chakras, I guess most people would say. I leave lots of bits of me with my patients and I’m sure you leave lots of bits of you with your fans, management, interviewers, etc, etc, etc.. Time to be alone is worth its weight in gold sometimes. Keeps you sane, well maybe, lol. Enjoy some hours of personal time darlin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 pm

BlunderVirgin

Happy Birthday Sarah Lee !! I also celebrated my Birthday yesterday although a few years older.Lol Feburary is a month for great minds.Arlo glad you all made it safely to Texas hope in between shows and interviews you get to kick back and have some fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am

The Folkslinger

We're set for the next three shows in Texas. Or at least ready to do them. After a few days down time, the band and i are itchy to get back to work. Not that we don't appreciate a few days to get the laundry done, catch up on things etc., but gigs are what we came to do.

Tonight we're in Houston at Jones Hall, tomorrow it's Austin at The Paramount and the following day we're in Dallas (Richardson) at The Eisemann Center. All three should be really nice, as we finish up this particular leg of the current tour.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
We're set for the next three shows in Texas. Or at least ready to do them. After a few days down time, the band and i are itchy to get back to work. Not that we don't appreciate a few days to get the laundry done, catch up on things etc., but gigs are what we came to do.

Tonight we're in Houston at Jones Hall, tomorrow it's Austin at The Paramount and the following day we're in Dallas (Richardson) at The Eisemann Center. All three should be really nice, as we finish up this particular leg of the current tour.

Enjoy this run. Have a great time, eat some great food and enjoy your visit with you eldest daughter. Loved the video “Gates of Eden” yesterday. Have you included it in your concert? Hope to hear it live soon.
Again was unable to seee the moon, fogged in. Did you get a peek? It’s cold here for the Bay Area. There is snow on the east bay mountains. Has been in some areas freezing, otherwise in the 40’s in the morning.
Be happy and well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm

The Folkslinger

It's been cloudy and overcast here in Houston. We caught a few glimpses of the moon last evening, but it was fleeting as the cloud cover was pretty thick. Pretty cool anyway... Now I have to wait for another full moon while I'm also away from city lights and other distractions - That means either in Florida or in Massachusetts, which ever comes first. Both are pretty isolated and away from things making it easier to capture the essence of the event.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:30 pm

ArloNetizen

Well your done for a bit, hope you had some great coffee and will have a wonderful, restful time off. Can’t wait until you get here for your concert in Santa Rosa. I love the statements you make at the front page of Arlonet, always an inspiration. Looking forward to some great pix from the river. Be restful. Let the sun shine on you and the wind at your back be gentle, may the path you walk be filled with love and beauty. Have a great time darlin friend.