Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Back On The River
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 am

The Folkslinger

December 8, 2018 - Roseland, FL

I'm back on the river in Roseland (Sebastian), FL for a few weeks break during the holidays. This morning I had the two things I enjoy most - a camera and a cup of decent coffee - In hand. I was going through the notes, messages, emails etc. as I do every morning, looked up from my desk, and grabbed the nearest camera, ran out onto the deck and grabbed a few pix before it all went away.

That was an hour or so ago. There was an update to the computer that left me wandering around while it took about 45 minutes to complete. By the time it was ready to roll, the day had become more normal. So I'm here with another cup of bliss, an updated desktop, and a bunch of little cameras I've collected over the years. All the good equipment is on the tour bus on the other side of the state. But, even the cheap cameras these days take awesome pictures. The phones we generally have these days take better photos than the actual digital cameras we had a couple of decades ago. It's an amazing thing.

I took photography lessons when I was a kid, and learned how to develop film, and make prints. Manny Lebensfeld was my first teacher, and we fooled around in his garage learning about cameras, film and all the associated stuff. That was about 60 years ago. A lot has changed, but I've kept up my obsession with cameras, and photos. Still at it, still learning, still having fun.

Attachment:
File comment: Sunrise
T1AG3530.JPG
T1AG3530.JPG [ 2.48 MiB | Viewed 19757 times ]

Post subject: Re: Back On The River
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:45 pm

The Folkslinger

Wow the day is ending, and evening colors of the setting sun are washing over the river. It's been a real honest day off - First one in a long time. I didn't go out, no one came by, no one called, I didn't have to get dressed in street clothes. Naturally that won't continue, but what a great freaking day!

I had some comments on social media sites, mainly on some pictures. That was nice, and I got to answer a few people who had questions about one thing or another. But mostly I just lounged around getting some pool time (man that was cold water), and some sun (desperately needed).

It actually takes about a week to undo the habits of being on the road, going somewhere every day. And get used to the idea of being in one place for more than a day or two. Who'd a thunk? Being cooped up in a 45 foot tin can also takes some getting used to. Many have tried, and many went home when the glamor wore off - A few days.

I'm extraordinarily thankful for the family and crew I've had, who've been able to endure the life. Special people. It's definitely not for everyone.

Anyway, as noted, the day is ending and we're going to run out looking for nearby food. And I should also note, I'm very grateful to everyone (anyone) reading this. After almost 30 years of being online, during the trials and tribulations, new tech, the rise of social media, all the stuff, its nice to know there's someone still here (aside from me). As you've no doubt figured out, I'm thrilled it's still going, and that I'm able to play with it.

xxx :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Wow the day is ending, and evening colors of the setting sun are washing over the river. It's been a real honest day off - First one in a long time. I didn't go out, no one came by, no one called, I didn't have to get dressed in street clothes. Naturally that won't continue, but what a great freaking day!

I had some comments on social media sites, mainly on some pictures. That was nice, and I got to answer a few people who had questions about one thing or another. But mostly I just lounged around getting some pool time (man that was cold water), and some sun (desperately needed).

It actually takes about a week to undo the habits of being on the road, going somewhere every day. And get used to the idea of being in one place for more than a day or two. Who'd a thunk? Being cooped up in a 45 foot tin can also takes some getting used to. Many have tried, and many went home when the glamor wore off - A few days.

I'm extraordinarily thankful for the family and crew I've had, who've been able to endure the life. Special people. It's definitely not for everyone.

Anyway, as noted, the day is ending and we're going to run out looking for nearby food. And I should also note, I'm very grateful to everyone (anyone) reading this. After almost 30 years of being online, during the trials and tribulations, new tech, the rise of social media, all the stuff, its nice to know there's someone still here (aside from me). As you've no doubt figured out, I'm thrilled it's still going, and that I'm able to play with it.

xxx :)

and it is nice to see you :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am

The Folkslinger

Likewise! It's great to have some time off when I can play around here. It's like being back in the sandbox when I was a kid. A small little part of the world where nothing outside of it seems as interesting. Although it's a brief vacation, it's still fun. Another few weeks and we'll hafta get back to the other world. But, for the moment... Yippie! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i just got a care bear onesie.

did your dreams come true?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:09 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:

Was this a question for me? I have no idea what a care bear onesie is. And I don't remember most of my dreams or nightmares - Thankfully. I just wake up and head straight for the coffee first thing. It's usually still dark out. I like being awake as the sun comes up. There may be photo opportunities - Mostly not, but every once in awhile it's awesome. It's also when most people are still asleep around here, so it's pretty quiet, unless there's some early morning fishermen wading through the shallows, or kayaking nearby. They're the only ones that wake up much earlier than me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

Was this a question for me? I have no idea what a care bear onesie is. And I don't remember most of my dreams or nightmares - Thankfully. I just wake up and head straight for the coffee first thing. It's usually still dark out. I like being awake as the sun comes up. There may be photo opportunities - Mostly not, but every once in awhile it's awesome. It's also when most people are still asleep around here, so it's pretty quiet, unless there's some early morning fishermen wading through the shallows, or kayaking nearby. They're the only ones that wake up much earlier than me.

hahaha..! good times….

it was pretty much a rhetorical question. more like a statement.
a care bear onesie is a one piece (head to foot) fuzzy pajama with a hood (with ears and such on it).
i got mine over sized, and i might be mistaken for a big blue bear (probably not threatening big) but still i can be pretty wiry, haha…

anyway, during cold weather it is a magnificent and warm thing to wear,,,if you like that sort of thing, which i do apparently, so i sing its praises.

is pretty much the gist

but on a more literal note
i do like remembering my dreams,,,sometimes they give me anxiety, ya know just, what? but when i realize at some point, “okay, this is just a dream” (now it makes sense that it makes no sense, or that it is so, “come on, really?”) then wisps of tranquility kind of flow through….

anyhow, sometimes i will hear a fox during the wee hours right outside (they can have this kind of whistle sound) or an owl off somewhere… <3

of course i have heard the occasional raccoon fist fight as well, haha

here’s to the wee hours!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 pm

The Folkslinger

I had PJs when I was a little kid. That was the last time. But, glad there are still some people who enjoy them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
I had PJs when I was a little kid. That was the last time. But, glad there are still some people who enjoy them.

when the weather is cold, it is fun to make the best of it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

when the weather is cold, it is fun to make the best of it

oh and there are so many choices i have seen about,,,but where i was, the choices were fewer, and that was my favourite one.

a raincloud on the front with raindrops and hearts dispersed about….heaven!

not that i am trying to extol the joys of pajamas onto anyone. it is just another whimsical post.
and these jammy jams are generally comfort when you are out from under your blankets.

i hope you find some early morning creatures to photograph that you want to share

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Quote:
I took photography lessons when I was a kid, and learned how to develop film, and make prints. Manny Lebensfeld was my first teacher, and we fooled around in his garage learning about cameras, film and all the associated stuff. That was about 60 years ago. A lot has changed, but I've kept up my obsession with cameras, and photos. Still at it, still learning, still having fun.

That reminds me, several years ago, I wanted to develop my photos. I had some old photos my grandfather had developed by himself and I tried to do the same. I bought a book to learn but I've never succeded !
Afterward there were Polaroids then digital cameras, so I've never tried again. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

cecile!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:46 am

The Folkslinger

I had a pair of PJs with pictures of Roy Rogers all over 'em. Then again, I also had the hat, the cap guns & holster. Couldn't wear it to bed tho. On a different note: The sunrise this morning was really good. But, it was way early. Still going through them looking for ones that are postable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i do hope you get to post more of your photos here, but on a different note

i had a million nightmares last night!

all the classics,,,mean people, snakes, centaurs with bows and arrows….

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:27 am

The Folkslinger

Wow! Well, that's one I've never heard of or had myself - Centaurs? Hope they weren't chasing you... Reminds me of the Hercules or Xena warrior Princess TV shows. I loved 'em. Back when TV was more fun and better.

Meanwhile, here's one from this morning way before light. Not much going on, but I was waiting, coffee in one hand, camera in the other.

Attachment:
AGT30570.JPG
AGT30570.JPG [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 19564 times ]