Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:57 am

BlunderVirgin

Hello, I was listening to some of my records today and came across Hobo's Lullaby. As I listened to the album(As I have for many years) I noticed that the song "Days are Short" only painted vague pictures and does not really explain what, why and how anything is happening. Why does the door being open cause a loss of pride? What is an explanation of the chorus, it sounds like its about troops over seas? Why does he wake up crying?

The song kind of reminds me of the Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest, in that it tells a story but only in sketches that leave the listener to insert some of their own interpretations of what happened/is going on.

For awhile I felt the song was about a soldier, but now I'm leaning more toward "The experience of living everyday"
None of us TRULY knows why we exist or how, and sometimes that can be overwhelming. Life is beautiful yet happiness can make you cry, days really are short maybe this is about a man that is just pondering life and what he REALLY knows about it (Which is not much).

Id just like to see anyone's thoughts/interpretations on this, obviously this could just be some unfinished songs he put together for some music he had. He may have not written all of it, or maybe there never was any explanations, and instead he decided to as Jerry Garcia put it, keep it a vague, mystery that's like a snapshot of what's going on.

Either way its a great song that I continue to enjoy, thanks for recording it Arlo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

I can't and won't comment on (what) someone's work means, but I think your all right Mr Deasy.

Quote:
Arlo:- Every day another man reaches out his hand, Every moment there a shifting in the sand.

Though it's still sand your holding you can't have the same handful as any other man, these things mean what they mean when you hold them in your heart, it moves and changes but you only every hold what you need. Keep it close while you need it then let it blow with the wind.

:)

Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. I have no idea what the song means but it is a nice song. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:50 pm

BlunderVirgin

Thank you, I've been coming to this site for years for tour info. Its always nice to look at a song or book through another persons eyes, so all interpretations are welcome haha.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

your welcome