Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Legends of Folk Music

Post subject: Happy Birthday Doc!!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

‎89 years ago today in Deep Gap, North Carolina, the legendary flatpicking guitarist Arthel “Doc” Watson was born. Blinded by an eye infection before he turned a year old, Doc was an integral part of the American folk music revival of the 60’s and still actively tours and records today, as well as hosting the enormous annual MerleFest music festival. Smithsonian Folkways is lucky enough to have an abundance of Doc Watson music in the catalog; you can listen to an example of his influential style in this recording of an original tune, "Southbound" from the 1990 Smithsonian Folkways Recordings collection titled "The Watson Family," originally released in 1963, and recompiled in 1990 to include recordings from that time that did not make the first release. Doc and his brother, Merle, wrote "Southbound" about feeling homesick for the great Appalachian Mountains during their stay at Ralph Rinzler's New York apartment, and the song is a perfect display of Doc's virtuosic finger-picking style. http://ow.ly/9q0e8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

Wow, had no idea he was that old. Happy BD from me too! is aw him in concert at a show Arlo was is that had different artists singing in it. He put on a good show. Arlo too! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:51 pm

BlunderVirgin

Happy Birthday Doc. belated from me too. I am steiven. I am newbie. i dont know About any of topic here. So i post Here. Someone please tell me about this board .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to Blunderland Steiven! :D This board works however you want it to work in combination with how Wizard gets it to work 8)

From where do you come Steiven?