Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
heraclitis wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
heraclitis wrote:
didn't mean to be rude but BS is BS


... and sometimes people mistake other things for garbage, hence the circles and arrows reference. Most threads are reasonably proliferous. The discussion is about Jeff, but spawned comparisons to the incumbants of the last 50 or 100 years. Somewhere the discussion leads to what everyone has done wrong and GW, oil production and voila! alternative energy comes up. Lord knows I wish I'd never spouted off about a process I stumbled on in 2010 that heated my home reasonably well that ensuing winter without costing me much more than the time involved and tying up some garbage cans.

I've been very honest in all my posts. I even use my own name in lieu of hiding behind some narcissistic nick like so many use to fluff and puff their stature. My avatar is me with a fair repertoire of lab equipment. If you assess what I say as phoney, I'm going to assess you as delusional. If you assess the Merck Index, Boyd & Morrison, Baur, Faith, Keyes & Clarke, etc, etc. as phoney, I'm going to recommend a shrink for you. I think it's not silly, but stupid to go there.

There may be more than one way to skin a cat, but you can bet I'll find something to use the carcass for other than taxadermy.


I am just suggesting that the accuracy of some of your statements is a bit suspect, for example:

"Yes, gasoline is composed of saturated hydrocarbons, such as paraffins, but "to get the lead out" the octanes are raised by alcohols. Why do you think when you go to the pump it has a label reading "90% ethanol" and its octane rating."

Gas is 90% alkanes or the common term "paraffins" and nowadays you would be hard pressed to find it without 10% ethanol. The ethanol is added as part of a misguided "biomass" conversion scheme that is really nothing but a Corporate subsidy mainly because bullshit artists were allowed to define biomass conversion. (One of the reasons why I hate bullshit so!). Octane ratings are not based on ethanol content. Octane ratings are based on the type of alkane present with a high octane gas containing a high percentage of an eight carbon iso-octane that has ideal ignition properties (it takes a little more spark to get it to pop than other alkanes present). I guess I am delusional because I just don't respond well to BS and I tend to question things that seem questionable to me. As far as the name Heraclitis, I like it for thermodynamic reasons.



I'll give you the percentage issue. I haven't driven in nearly 7 years because of a nerve disease I have that makes it a bad idea... (Maybe a motor sickle someday... as in hand brakes...) In fact I'm going to an electric lawnmower this year so probably won't see one for a good while. With the exception of that, I'm just looking up the Merck listing if I have some doubt. I don't even think that's the point. Neither of us knows all there is about chemistry, hydrocarbon or otherwise. It's one field that new discoveries are made regularly. Physics too. I'm an engineer/physicist, not a theoretical or analytical chemist, but I dabble in chemistry quite enough to be considered a practical chemist.

I invent. We are in a period of time when world leaders are failing miserably, so we need all the innovations for energy we can get. I suggest to you that you stop labeling people, especially by internet posts, in a manner that makes you seem mentally ill. I mean... I mean... we're all sitting here on the Group W bench and you're complaining because we are errant at times?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:11 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2489
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
Be careful who you think you are including when you say we doc.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
Goofus wrote:
Be careful who you think you are including when you say we doc.


Unless you're typing through a time machine, it would depend on which iteration of "we" you are referring to... :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2489
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
DrCharbonneau wrote:
Goofus wrote:
Be careful who you think you are including when you say we doc.


Unless you're typing through a time machine, it would depend on which iteration of "we" you are referring to... :D


I'm guessing that if you are as smart as you think you are you know what I meant.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
Goofus wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
Goofus wrote:
Be careful who you think you are including when you say we doc.


Unless you're typing through a time machine, it would depend on which iteration of "we" you are referring to... :D


I'm guessing that if you are as smart as you think you are you know what I meant.


I don't think I'm that smart. Creative? Yes. Smart? Time will tell. Smart enough not to make assumptions? Yes.

I believe explaining one's self has to do with honesty, not intelligence.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jul 17, 2010
Posts: 1375
heraclitis wrote:

I would not label Jefferson a Pioneer. Jefferson lived pretty much his whole life in the safety of civilization and spent an amazing amount of his time reading and debating the Enlightenment as well as applying himself to the study of agriculture and mechanical engineering (including his love of Architecture). Washington on the other hand was a Pioneer in many ways including trips into the Western fringes of society when he was 16 years old. In fact, he repeatedly returned to that region across the mountains and became quite a land speculator. He was known to treat the "back woodsmen or frontiersmen" with no small amount of disdain and actively used his power and influence to acquire large amounts of land in the Pittsburgh and southeastern Ohio regions where he was a despised absentee land owner of tenant farms. Also, in consort with Al Hamilton, he helped create and put down the first insurrection based on the treatment of the people in these nether regions by imposing an excise tax on Spirits. So, it seems, just as Britain was out of touch with those classes below the rich in the colonies; so the speculators and bankers were out of touch with that class below the rich in the newborn US of A. Even so, those dumb ass broke "pioneers" living in the presence of the Noble Savage (who for years had been supplied by the French ad British to kill Americans young and old for profit), scrapping a living off of tenant farms (many owned by you know who, Mr. President) with no where to sell their grain (couldn't send it downriver because the Spanish controlled New Orleans and the British controlled Montreal and god knows you couldn't haul it over those mountains), and nothing to do but ferment and distill their excess grain to make spirits for barter...even then, they pleaded to fix the system and not rebel.

I love the Petition of 1792 where those pioneers say:

That the situation seemed "contrary to the interest and happiness of these states being subversive of industry by common means, where men seem to make fortunes by the fortuitous concurrence of circumstances, rather than by economic, virtuous and useful employment." Further this frontier trash from the west said...."the constituting a capital of nearly eighty millions of dollars in the hands of a few persons who may influence those occasionally in power to evade the constitution."...This from a bunch of share cropper pissed about an excise tax on whisky in 1792.... you got to love it!!!!


It is kind of funny how the constitution was a federalist document back then but to tea party people it is an anti-federalist document today. Least I think it funny?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:26 am
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
Kurt Vonnegut might see them as "Those Amazing Animalz." :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:00 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2489
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
DrCharbonneau wrote:

Unless you're typing through a time machine, it would depend on which iteration of "we" you are referring to... :D


I'm guessing that if you are as smart as you think you are you know what I meant.[/quote]

I don't think I'm that smart. Creative? Yes. Smart? Time will tell. Smart enough not to make assumptions? Yes.

I believe explaining one's self has to do with honesty, not intelligence.[/quote]

I think that assuming that people agree with and believe what you said just because you said it can be dangerous.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
Goofus wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:

Unless you're typing through a time machine, it would depend on which iteration of "we" you are referring to... :D


I'm guessing that if you are as smart as you think you are you know what I meant.


I don't think I'm that smart. Creative? Yes. Smart? Time will tell. Smart enough not to make assumptions? Yes.

I believe explaining one's self has to do with honesty, not intelligence.[/quote]

I think that assuming that people agree with and believe what you said just because you said it can be dangerous.[/quote]


Agreed. It is safest to believe just the opposite. It is just as dangerous to assume you understand everything soeone says on the net the first time around. It is not that often that you encounter someone, though, who is man enough to admit to an honest mistake, or simply to accept that you did something or made a particular observation.

Does it matter? Before long all this will go poof!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2489
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
I don't share your fatalistic view. I do realize that the world might end tonight. I just don't plan for it to happen. I have better things to do. Things that help people now.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:39 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jul 06, 2008
Posts: 2531
Images: 2
Location: Crawfordville, Florida
Goofus wrote:
I don't share your fatalistic view. I do realize that the world might end tonight. I just don't plan for it to happen. I have better things to do. Things that help people now.


Very well put Gus. My feelings as well.......but by now you probably already know that.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:31 am
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
Goofus wrote:
I don't share your fatalistic view. I do realize that the world might end tonight. I just don't plan for it to happen. I have better things to do. Things that help people now.


You have that right, same as I have the right to offer to help people prepare that see humanity as just so foolish as to build card houses.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:31 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2489
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
Don't let the present pass you by because you're all wrapped up in the future.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:57 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Posts: 408
Goofus wrote:
Don't let the present pass you by because you're all wrapped up in the future.


Don't let the futures disappear or there will be no presents.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jul 06, 2008
Posts: 2531
Images: 2
Location: Crawfordville, Florida
DrCharbonneau wrote:
Goofus wrote:
Don't let the present pass you by because you're all wrapped up in the future.


Don't let the futures disappear or there will be no presents.


The ONLY control we have over the future lies in the choices we make today. Present moment behavior! The fundamental problem is the mindset that chooses to stray too far away from RIGHT NOW.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group