Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

possum, it's true, unions today are very different from what they were at the beginning. It is also true that it is vitally important that workers do not loose the ground made by the unions at the start. Since the unions and workers are facing such huge losses, it is easy to understand why they see themselves as victims. They are fighting to over come huge obstacles. If they loose, our world will be totally different than what we have today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like a great show. I bet if Woody were living he would've been involved in the recent union stuff...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

cheryl wrote:
possum, it's true, unions today are very different from what they were at the beginning. It is also true that it is vitally important that workers do not loose the ground made by the unions at the start. Since the unions and workers are facing such huge losses, it is easy to understand why they see themselves as victims. They are fighting to over come huge obstacles. If they loose, our world will be totally different than what we have today.

I'm afraid we've already lost. Less than 7% of private business is union. That seems to be a documentable statistic.

I hear what you are saying possum. (Aren't you missing an O?) When the 7% is gone I think we will see what cheryl is predicting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

And Cheryl's right! Unfortunately. Because they are on their way out. Endangered. Due to greed and loss of heart-itat :|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 am

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
Back in 1776 a whole new nation was formed. Thirteen British colonies tried unsuccessfully to have the concerns of their citizens heard or taken seriously by the empire across the Atlantic. So the colonists formed themselves into a union. The preamble to the constitution begins with these words "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union…" A more perfect union was the very first reason for the founding of The United States of America. America IS a union. You can't be anti-union and pro-America at the same time. Period.

I just returned from a three day gig in Milwaukee, WI. it was 4 degrees outside. If you think that's cold, you're right. But it's not nearly as chilly as the reception the union guys are getting from the governor and his buddies in the state government. I'm an American, and therefore I'm a union guy. I'm hoping for a little more common sense on all sides as we readjust to the economic reality. But to assume that it can't be done by normal working people through collective bargaining is just plain fear mongering and political nonsense. in other words, I'm stickin' to the union!

adg

(added later)

We all have had gripes with unions over the decades, at least I have. What I'm talking about here, and what they're talking about in WI is whether or not the right to have and function as a union is being undermined by elected officials for political purposes by individuals who have taken money from people who have a vested interest in dismantling an American institution. Even if you will never join a union, or don't believe they have anything to offer you, you're wages benefits, and your weekends are what they are because somewhere, sometime someone had the guts to form a union and make demands on behalf of everyone who worked for a living. You may not owe them dues, but you owe them some thanks. Whatever peanuts you may be working for now, they are what they are because the going rate for your work was determined by the market in which the unions played a part.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:00 am

BlunderVirgin

You're sticking to the union and the union is sticking it to us!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

@

Last edited by len on Fri May 20, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

thirstyghost wrote:

Not sure what you mean by us...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

len wrote:
thirstyghost wrote:

How do ya figure? A Republican senator is attempting to take away the right of duly elected democratic members to vote. This after the republicans took all the financials out of legislation leaving only the language that kills collective bargaining.

Who's zoomin' who here, pale rider?

Time for a recall in Wisconsin just as it was done to the Florida mayor.

..and then Rep. Michele Bachmann comes to New Hampshire and makes a coment that the revolution started at Lexington and Concord..in New Hampshire no less..umm..hello..it started in Massachusetts. I think it's going to be a long election cycle this time. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Arlo Fanatic

EPR wrote:
len wrote:
thirstyghost wrote:

How do ya figure? A Republican senator is attempting to take away the right of duly elected democratic members to vote. This after the republicans took all the financials out of legislation leaving only the language that kills collective bargaining.

Who's zoomin' who here, pale rider?

Time for a recall in Wisconsin just as it was done to the Florida mayor.

..and then Rep. Michele Bachmann comes to New Hampshire and makes a coment that the revolution started at Lexington and Concord..in New Hampshire no less..umm..hello..it started in Massachusetts. I think it's going to be a long election cycle this time. :roll:

Yeah, and we're screwed no matter what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I saw a map from Fox not-news which showed that, in fact, Lexington and Concord are in Massachusettes. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 pm

BlunderVirgin

A long election cycle indeed. Let's be honest...there aren't any elction cycles anymore! These clowns (and that's a bi-partisan, anti-liberal, anti-conservative, anti-whatever comment) just run all the time. They're never NOT running! It drives me crazy! Anybody who thinks the solution to any problem lies with politicians is hopelessly oblivious, anyway. Maybe we can get Arlo to run as a real alternative candidate in 2012. Of course, we wouldn't want him to actually campaign or anything...just have his name out there on the ballot for anyone who's so inclinded to vote for him. I'm sure Ron Paul wouldn't mind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

They moved them? :? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
They moved them? :? :wink:

Wow! There used to be a moderator around here named Larry. His name was green just like yours is. He absconded with the brain cell and we haven't seen him since...

Edited to say: I've been told he has his face in a book...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

He's still around ,Just less verbose these days. :D