Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 1990 1:01 am

The W!zard

Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream
words and music by Arlo Guthrie

nortonkevin wrote:
I actually learned the song from the Arlo w/ Shenandoah version you're refering to. Lots of times Arlo capos up a couple of frets, but I think he's chording it starting with D:

(D)Last night I had the strangest dream I (G) ever dreamed (D) before (D7)
I (G) dreamed that (A) all the (D) world (Bm) agreed to
(G) put an (A) end to (D) war

I (G) dreamed I saw a (D) mighty room, and the (A) room was filled with (D) men (D7)
And the (G) papers (A) they were (D) signing (Bm) said
They'd (G) never (A) fight (D) again

{The chord goes with the word that follows it}

I know these aren't all the words, but should be enough for you to figure the song out.

Good Luck!!! Kevin

PS - If you need me to, I could put a video on youtube, slowed down, showing you the way I do it so you could see my hands on the strings and post the link.......just let me know if you need me to :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:50 pm

ArloNetizen

Posted on YouTube is a video of Arlo & Shenandoah performing Ed McCurdy's ... Strangest Dream. Love the arrangement and harmonies - gives me chills. However, I haven't been able to figure out what the chords are. Found lots of online hints for the Simon & Garfunkle and Garth Brooks versions - nothing for Arlo's version. Heading for my 35th high school reunion and would like to honor an absent classmates request that we sing some folk songs. I remember singing this song back then and it still rings true today. My guitar is tuned up and I'd like to give it a try. Any help would be appreciated. JoanZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome Joanz! :D I actually learned the song from the Arlo w/ Shenandoah version you're refering to. Lots of times Arlo capos up a couple of frets, but I think he's chording it starting with D:

(D)Last night I had the strangest dream I (G) ever dreamed (D) before (D7)
I (G) dreamed that (A) all the (D) world (Bm) agreed to
(G) put an (A) end to (D) war

I (G) dreamed I saw a (D) mighty room, and the (A) room was filled with (D) men (D7)
And the (G) papers (A) they were (D) signing (Bm) said
They'd (G) never (A) fight (D) again

{The chord goes with the word that follows it}

I know these aren't all the words, but should be enough for you to figure the song out.

Good Luck!!! Kevin

PS - If you need me to, I could put a video on youtube, slowed down, showing you the way I do it so you could see my hands on the strings and post the link.......just let me know if you need me to :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:32 pm

ArloNetizen

Wow - that was quick! Thanks so much. I watched the video several times yesterday trying to see if he was using a capo and just couldn't tell. I'll give it a try later tonight and let you know how it went.

JoanZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

Damn Kevin. I would like the slow video of which you speak...or a fast one...or...BOTH...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 am

ArloNetizen

Yup - me too. Hate to impose but I'm having more trouble with this than I anticipated. Viewed the video again and I do believe a capo was used.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:59 am

ArloNetizen

I believe (from memory) the capo is on the third fret.

Your questions are a great form of sharing. They help everyone!
Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

Goofus wrote:

"Damn Kevin. I would like the slow video of which you speak...or a fast one...or...BOTH..."

Hey Gus! I've been out of {my} town for the last week......at the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee (Great time!).......now I'm pickin' my way back south through North Carolina and Georgia. The mountains are beautiful, leaves starting to change colors. Today we "climbed" to the top of Mt. Mitchell, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway NE of Asheville, NC (6,684 ft.), the highest point east of the Mississippi. Oh yeah, and when I said we "climbed" it, I am saying that we climbed it in my truck, all except for the last 4 or 500 yards :roll: Anyway, I'll be home in a few days and will record a video of "Last Night......." and post the link on here. I love that ol' song!!! :D Peace, Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

Wow, that sounds like a fun trip. I think I read a few yrs back where Pete was at that festival...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:14 am

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
Goofus wrote:

"Damn Kevin. I would like the slow video of which you speak...or a fast one...or...BOTH..."

Hey Gus! I've been out of {my} town for the last week......at the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee (Great time!).......now I'm pickin' my way back south through North Carolina and Georgia. The mountains are beautiful, leaves starting to change colors. Today we "climbed" to the top of Mt. Mitchell, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway NE of Asheville, NC (6,684 ft.), the highest point east of the Mississippi. Oh yeah, and when I said we "climbed" it, I am saying that we climbed it in my truck, all except for the last 4 or 500 yards :roll: Anyway, I'll be home in a few days and will record a video of "Last Night......." and post the link on here. I love that ol' song!!! :D Peace, Kevin

Cool. That is beautiful country. We used to vacation there when I was a kid. Watch out for bears!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 am

Arlo Fanatic

Let me know if you want it:

1) Slower

2) Faster

3) Never Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jgydcxf4U

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

ArloNetizen

Hey Kevin - Had a chance to look at the video - thanks a bundle. If I can't figure out how to play the song from that, I just need to hang it up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 am

Arlo Fanatic

Don't hang it up......Let it all hang out :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:27 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks Kevin. That's just right for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:23 pm

ArloNetizen

With all this support and encouragement, I'm confident I can learn to play this song - if not well, at least in a non-cringe-inducing manner. Haven't played guitar at all in the past five years and not much for the ten years before that so I've got a long way to go. But I've thoroughly enjoyed re-learning how to read music and thank goodness for muscle memory otherwise my poor fingers wouldn't know what to do. My lovely old guitar is happy to be free of its case as well.

Thanks again Kevin for the gift of your time and talent in putting that video up on the web.

Cheers all - Joan Z