Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Quick Tour Of Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:21 am

The Folkslinger

Today I leave Berlin where I have been the last few days going over some songs with my friend, Wenzel and his band. We are going to do just a few gigs in Germany. The only gig I know I did before was at JazzClub in Eisenach, which was really fun - like playing in a large cave. It really has one of the best collections of jazz and blues on vinyl I have ever seen - just amazing. I'm looking forward to tonight as well as the other two gigs. Then I get to spend a couple of days with my sister, Nora and her husband, Michael in Bonn - That'll be fun!

I had a fabulous time with Keith Lockhart and The Boston Pops at Tanglewood before coming over here. As a matter of fact, I did the Tanglewood gig, and walked off the stage ready to go half way to New York that night. I was booked on The Queen Mary 2 going from New York City to Southampton, England the next day. So, I'm sitting back stage and Cookie (from my office) hands me the ships paperwork. I suddenly notice it says something like "no one will be seated for dinner without formal attire."

I look in my little flight bag. Nope. There's no formal anything in there. And I remembered that years before I had a formal western (as in country and western) suit made for some occasion. I wondered if it was somewhere on the bus at home. So we drove home scrounged around the closets of the bus and WOW - It was there! I grabbed the attire hoping I hadn't outgrown it and headed to Woodstock for the night. Took a limo ride the next day and got myself settled on the ocean liner. The next six days were mostly spent looking at fog and getting dressed for dinner.

So, here I am in Berlin - a great old city but changing very quickly and becoming yuppified faster than a New York minute. Still there are a few remaining places where regular people are being themselves. It's like there was this great old town where there was music clubs, theater and young (not financially endowed) people staying up into the early hours of morning. So naturally everyone wants to come and move into these areas, except they start complaining about the noise, and the traffic. So new people come and buy up these old places, and the rules start changing to accommodate them (and their loot). It happens everywhere these days. So, I'm enjoying what's left of Berlin. Nuff for now... adg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Enjoy your trip overseas! Please keep is informed on your daily adventures:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

Maybe they woulda let you stand for dinner?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Oh I forgot to ask you Arlo, do you have any pix of you and Jackie in you formal attire? If so could you please post them on your Facebook page? I am just dying to see Jackie's elegance :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
So naturally everyone wants to come and move into these areas, except they start complaining about the noise, and the traffic. So new people come and buy up these old places, and the rules start changing to accommodate them (and their loot). It happens everywhere these days.

Magicians and fishermen keep secrets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"Gentrification"........

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yes, we want to see pix of your in your formal attire. Bet you looked good. and Jackie too. Have a good trip. :)

Post subject: Quick Tour Of Germany
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:46 am

The Folkslinger

Mrs G is at the Farm playing with grandkids and editing video. No formal versions of her available. And no more for me either (unless I get hungry).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

AWWWW!!!! Such a shame Jackie did not come with with you :(...That's OK Arlo, just find an old pic of Jackie in a formal dress and post it on here.....If you ever get hungry put on you tux and go to a exquisite German restaurant and indulge in a Filet O Fish and Chicken McNuggets have Ronald McDonald take pix of you! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yup, put the formal stuf back in mothballs. The role of James Bond has already been filled. BUT, we know from when you played with the orchestra, you could contribute to the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Video!!!

A lot of work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yup! Mrs. G is the Cecille B. Demille of you tube! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
No formal versions of her available. And no more for me either (unless I get hungry).

Well bless my soul, the Folkslinger is a logical positivist and all the time I thought he was a constructivist with performative inclinations. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:03 am

Arlo Fanatic

Man, you should've brought Jackie along. She would've had fun on the trip... :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:43 am

ArloNetizen

Cheryl,
Heard the Management @ RSR wouldn't give Mrs. G. the time off to travel with The Folksinger. Think they recieved their MBA from the Ebeneezer Scrooge School of Business. :D