Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:22 pm

The Folkslinger

We did the last full show of the "Rides Again" tour in Spokane the other night and finished up with two slightly shorter shows at The Ellen Theater in Bozeman, MT. We rarely do two gigs in one night, but the first show sold out so quickly we had to add another. From Bozeman the family and crew go off in different directions, some going back to the farm, some heading to Yellowstone for a look around, and I'm heading down to The CrabHouse in Florida to pick up my car and head north for the first of the solo summer shows in Westbury, NY. Looks like I'll be spending most of my summer with these Solo gigs both here in the USA and overseas.

I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed the last year. It's a good thing Mrs G recorded almost all of it on video. Expect to see some more videos of the highlights either at the RSR website, or on Youtube. It's going to be lonely on stage after this tour, but I'll have some fun as always. Then later on this year, I'll pick up the Burns Sisters and the great band I had for the "Lost World" tour. We'll continue into 2011 with the "Journey On" tour (begins in Oct.). New songs, some good old ones etc. That is something I'm looking forward to.

But, before we completely end the one we're on, let me thank everyone who made this happen - Our great drivers Walt and Ashely who got us everywhere we needed to be; BC as always made us sound good; Sam - we just plain love Sam; Lisa fixed everyone (Both Sam and Lisa made sure the littlest ones were on stage at the right moments), Terry - Just a pleasure as you have been for the last 30 years; Sarah Lee & Johnny - who opened up the show every night with their great songs; Cathy and Annie - so great to have you both on the road this time (and Ramsay who came for the CA leg, fun singing with you); Krish - I think you're in the band at this point & Mo - for the first time out playing the bass, it was awesome; and Serena! Wow I'll never forget those moments at each show backstage when you were getting ready to go out to sing or play, just so awesome having you there. And Levon & Izzy, Olivia, Jacklyn, Marjorie & Sophia - you guys probably won't read this, but it was so much fun having you there. You all sang great!!!

Lastly - Abe… who may actually read this: There's no way your dad could have done this without you. Not going to get smutty on ya, but you make it possible… You de best.

And beyond lastly - Mrs G - so much fun having you out on the road for the whole tour!!! Last time we did that was the '84 tour (somewhere around there), when our kids were about the age of the grandkids now. Your videos will keep folks entertained for years and years to come, and give you something to do for the next year or two. Happy editing love :)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

My additional thanks to all of the family and folks you mentioned, and thank you Arlo for this tour and all the ones before it.......I haven't missed many over the past 35 years. Looking forward to many more!!! Have a great summer 8) Peace, Kevin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm glad this is the tour I finally got to GB. It was a privileged view of the royal family of folk and gave me much to learn and like. I think I'd retire there... but it's too frikkin' cold in the winter. :lol:

Come to Huntsville, Arlo. Even wanderers in Sheol need music.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

So...I have 3 things to say:

1. I saw the Birchmere show and really enjoyed it.

2. Just my humble opinion, but I saw that Mrs. G's Youtube page speaks of possibly putting together a DVD of the tour, and I think -- assuming it's as good as I expect it will be -- she should consider entering it in the Silverdocs festival next year (or the year after, depending on when it's ready -- I've no idea what goes into putting something like that together). Silverdocs is the documentary festival run by the American Film Institute and Discovery Channel in Silver Spring, Maryland, every June. They've shown some great documentaries, including several music documentaries, and the theaters in the AFI's complex are wonderful. I have no connection to the AFI or Discovery other than I'm an AFI member and go to the theater a lot. Info on the festival is at http://silverdocs.com/ . I'm also not an expert in any of this stuff, but I just love Mrs. G's Youtube videos and personally expect any DVD she puts together would be a worthy contender. I'll also mention that this year's Silverdocs festival happens to run from June 21-27, a time at which, I happened to notice, the folkslinger appears to be transiting past DC twice, once on the way to Richmond and then going back to Columbia. So, you know, if you like documentaries and have time to kill, you might want to check it out. The schedule's not up yet on the site, but it should be in the next few weeks. Just a thought.

Which leads me to:

3. So, Arlo, you're doing shows in Richmond and Columbia, but nothing in DC or the close-in suburbs? Or is there a DC show that just isn't on the schedule yet? Do I have to go lobby somebody to invite you and, if yes, who/where would you like me to lobby?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'll be at Richmond. I guess that means you'll be solo there. If you need to know the area, I am here for ya. Shoot I went to school there in Jr high and HS...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:39 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I fell in love with your family 5 years ago and I'm so glad most of them are back home!!

Eileen...I love your thinking!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:26 pm

ArloNetizen

Arlo, welcome back to Massachusetts! I can't wait till June at Symphony Hall. Not the most relaxed setting, but it'll be great with you and the Pops, and I know you can handle it! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

He's the only Pops show I'm intersted in seeing. Not much of pops type and symphony stuff but Arlo makes it fun... :)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:58 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Too far to have had the pleasure of seeing you on stage with your whole family (may be one day, I hope) but it’s so great that videos were recorded, I'm looking forward to seeing them….. and also the solo gigs in Europe this summer!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 pm

BlunderVirgin

Sat Nam!

What a wonderful blessing to have just moved to Bellingham; then to see your poster at the Mt Baker Theater, just in time to get to experience this wonderfully, gifted and stunning family altogether - both musically and spiritually!!!

In humble thanks, for all the special concerts throughout years, from Florida to NM (at Peace Pray Day in Espanola, in Santa Fe, in Taos), to Washington. What a national (although universal) treasure "you" all are, making people smile & uplifting humanity. Bless you ADG and Family!!!

Sincerely,
Gurukirn

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you saw alot of neat shows...

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:02 pm

BlunderVirgin

Arlo, I've been watching and loving videos on Jackie's YouTube channel for a year now and didn't know you had a blog. This is fascinating reading for me. I know that's kind of weird. It is, though. Thanks for putting these thoughts and news bits up. Take care.

Matthew

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Matthew Vaugan Wrote:

" This is fascinating reading for me. I know that's kind of weird."

Welcome Matthew....... :D Stick around and see how weird it can get :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. I'm the weirdest one here lol...

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 am

BlunderVirgin

Thanks for the welcome, Cheryl, Kevin :)