Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm

The Folkslinger

I've had a few days off in Madison, WI and it was just gorgeous. A few nice days before it starts getting cold. We've been wandering the streets checking out the laundromats. Dave is adding some pretty cool features to Arlo.Net and I think we're getting back to being on the cutting edge of things to come. I'm excited anyways. I'll let him introduce the additions as they come along. I love the iPhone stuff - really cool.

There's a lot of places on the web where our friends are gathered or flocked. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to add additional 'friends' to my FaceBook page because we've reached the limit of 5,000. FaceBook suggested I start a 'fan' page because there's no limit there. However, very few of my friends seem to want to be 'fans.' I'm with them. So there's like 3,000 people waiting to be added. There's also a whole lotta folks on our MySpace page, something like 25,000 friends there. In addition, I've been uploading lots of photographs on my Flickr page. You can go search out any of these and have some fun. If you actually go to Flickr and see something you like, add it as a favorite, which gives the pix more visibility in the Flickr world. We'll get some new victims here to play with as a result. Be nice. Don't scare 'em off.

But, the truth is Arlo.Net is where I reside. This is home. And thanks to all of you regular (not to be confused with normal) people out there it continues to feel like home. So this is my early Thanksgiving note to let you know I'm actually thankful - for all of us, that we have each other. And especially to our road crew - the family and friends we're traveling with as we move around the world. In spite of the troubles all around us, we keep on keeping on. That's all anyone can do - until you can't. Happy Before Thanksgiving! More later - adg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I also give thanks Arlo, for you and everyone here. Also, I spent a little time with John McCutcheon at the National Storytelling Festival a couple of weeks ago, and he asked me to shoot you a big "Hello" from him. Take care, and Peace, Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"Before Thanksgiving" is one of my favorite times of the year. I knew it was getting to be that time because it wasn't 90 degrees here yesterday or today, and also the leaves are turning from bright green to not quite so bright green. Thanks for keeping on, Arlo, and thanks for reminding me that it's time to throw my "brain trash" away again (you know, negative thoughts about family, friends, and things that I like to hit the "delete" button on every year around this time). Good thing is the dump for that is never closed.

mikey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Among other things, I'm just thankful that we are, as a group, regular but not normal. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Felicia Day has 188,102 Facebook fans.

Fame is fleeting. It requires regular maintenance. And a car deodorizer shaped like a pine tree hanging from the mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

And 1.4 million followers on Twitter (Felicia Day). More power to her and may her fame be longer lasting than most, unless she wishes to fade into obscurity; she's a talented and creative person. I do follow Justin "shitmydadsays" on Twitter, but have a sense his fame may be a bit more fleeting.

I can't facebook/follow on twitter everyone I might like to or I would lose track of it all, and have had to settle for being Arlo's "fan" because I came too late to the party and am in the 3000+ group. I do get the stuff from the friends' page on my wall, which is good, except when I want to respond and can't. Or perhaps that is a good thing in disguise -- keeps my ginormous ego in check.

It was 40 or so degrees and raining here in DC over the past weekend, but the weather has now turned beautiful once more.

Happy Before Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:25 pm

ArloNetizen

Happy Before Thanksgiving. The smell of fall is in the air and you know what that means...Carnegie Hall is just around the corner!
Can't wait.
hrg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Arlo, thank you so much for coming here to celebrate this fall season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for writing on here. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving. Mine & Christmas won't be as good cuz of Mike being going. I miss him so much & will never believe he is gone. My folks are going to Nags Head for a week or maybe up to 3 depending on how my moms knee that is hurting her is doing. I'll be going with them. It will be nice to get away but I will miss Mike. Have fun & remember we love ya! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:35 am

BlunderVirgin

Glad you had some time off to play in our lovely capital city. I loved every minute of your and your family's concert last night, it seemed way too short. What a wonderful family you have! I am such a fan, of you and everything you stand for (not to mention of course your wonderful music and storytelling).
Ellie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
I can't facebook/follow on twitter everyone I might like to or I would lose track of it all, and have had to settle for being Arlo's "fan" because I came too late to the party and am in the 3000+ group. I do get the stuff from the friends' page on my wall, which is good, except when I want to respond and can't.

I delinked from Arlo's FB Friend page this morning. That leaves a slot open for someone else, Eileen. He usually says mostly the same stuff on his fan page and here but I get the bit about wanting to respond. Go for it. :D

Opinion follows: just mine.

Yeah, Felicia Day is in her salad period where the hits just keep coming and she's already feeling the load complaining about people who stare, the crying kids on the airliners, the professional farter in the next seat. On the other hand imagine what it will be like when anonymity returns as it always does? The Folkslinger was A-list in 1969, dropped from his label ten years later, spent a lot of time on the road in B-list and C-list rooms, and now is back where he deserves to be. That's hard. Fame's a bitch sometimes.

I notice people are disappointed he doesn't meet and greet in the open. I get that. We all want to give him a shake, say our peace, be his friend. We spent money and time and we want that personal moment. The logistics of that are impossible. Imagine a life where even the road crew has to be hyperaware of people who try to be their best friends to, as one of his crew said, "get one step closer". Every famous person I've known in one way or another had to keep a wall up no matter how thin. Forget the stalkers, the nut jobs or even the other artists trying to get a leg up, think of the gal or guy who might be the nicest person but just stood in line in the bathroom line three steps behind the guy with the nasty cold and a kleenex and will touch almost everything that cat touched in the shared room. Now give the headliner a hug, a cat who has up to a hundred people or more depending on them to make every date or people don't get paid, who can't be stove up in the bus with a cold or worse.

The wall Arlo keeps up is very thin and he shares his life with people who have been there for a long time. He shares his family. They are right out front signing, talking, keeping in touch. That is really rare and not just a little risky sometimes. But if he can't go on, the tour bus stops. That's the bottom line.

The friendly thing is to say less and let them get on with their job. I get the disappointment. We spend what we think is a lot of money for that glimpse but if this is a little more like friendship than being a fan, we have to understand what goes on in a friend's life.

That said, there is an open slot at FB, Eileen. I can't promise anything about who gets it, just that I can open one because I've got several ways to keep up with Arlo, this one being the best. Go for it. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Len has inspired me to catch a moment.... I realized at the Church in October that this Nov 15th will be a 40th anniversary for me seeing Arlo live on stage (March on Washington, 1969)... wow...

his courage in being vulnerable in his music has always been remarkable... and his courage in being so present for those who come to see him is remarkable, too... all those signings and arlographs and photographs over these years must have in some way been very scary... at least I can't imagine how to manage that many people wanting to spend time with me or buy me a beer or.... no matter how good their intentions... and then very tiring... even for Arlo who is so generous with his energy...

it took me a long time to realize that as fun as those autographs can be... that when faced with the opportunity I didn't really know what I wanted to say to Arlo... for me it just kept coming out "thank you..."

now it seems that connecting with the folkslinger is much more powerful when he is on stage... that a connection happens that he creates and allows to happen.... all are invited... and attending what happens in that space is the real bliss....
if there are words for that, I don't have them...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:02 pm

BlunderVirgin

Amen, kj!! I caught the vibe in Kingston, Ontario May of this year. It completely took me by surprise as I am not a fan kind of person - I just love music and live entertainment of a variety of sorts. I thought seeing Arlo would be a great addition to Bob Dylan and Neil Young for my live shows to that point. But something special happened at that show that was tangible and magnetic to my heart...it was something like, "Oh yeah, this is the way I remember it was supposed to be!" There is still enough peace to go around and good people to share it with. : )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I have told you a bunch of times but I'll tell you again. I am thankful for you and how you have helped me and have saved me and showed me about light and love. I don't know what i ever did to deserve someone as special in my life but i am thankful every second. thanks for showing me love is stronger than fear. xxoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Cheryl Harrell, that's a great photo for the season. It reminds us to be thankful of all those we have around us to love and be thankful for. Has Mike popped in to say hi to you lately?