Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

July 31 also marked the 39th anniversary of the ill-fated Powder Ridge Festival in Middlefield, Connecticut. Many of the performers who performed at Woodstock the previous year were scheduled to perform there. Tickets for the whole weekend were $20! Yep, yours truly was there. Didn't seem to me to be as bad as most of the press & media made it out to be.

A friend of mine and I climbed up a trail on the backside of the mountain. It was so steep that the Boy Scouts or somebody strung a cable to hold onto for the climb. One of my fondest memories was when we finally made it to the top. A guy was camped on the trail that went along the edge of a ledge. We stopped to give him some water and noticed some cops waaay down below with a bull horn saying something about arresting "you people".
I said, "Are they talking to us?"
The guy camped out said, "No. They're talking to them!" and pointed down the trail to about a half dozen naked guys and girls taunting and mooning the officers.

More here:
http://www.chronos-historical.org/rockf ... index.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Did you see Melanie?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

No. My friend did though, but didn't know who she was until well after the "event". I was up one of the three ski slopes at our campsite beyond earshot of the Mister Softie powered PA system. It was more like a drug festival than a music fest. Oddly enough, with all of the psychotropics going around there, the people a few tents away from us were sniffing glue all weekend! Go figure!?!

I remember that there was a local area band (I've forgotten their name) that people thought was either Hendrix or Grand Funk. They had a right-handed bass player who, I guess, might have looked a little like Jimi or the guy in "Funk" who wore a "fro" doo if you were far enough away and doing the right amount of mind altering substances. It made all three ski slopes descend rather rapidly when some one ran up and yelled, "Hendrix (or Grand Funk) is down there!" I think the guy who yelled it was wearing a pink tutu and carrying a hockey stick!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

I'd never heard of this fest. It sounds like an interesting one tho...