Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Legends of Folk Music

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Todays is Willie's birthday. A happy happy, to the Red Haired Stranger...

A friend of mine is still in pursuit of getting his biography of Leon Russell in print.. ( now in the hands of an editor in England ... Copywrite laws aren't so stringent )

I've had the privelege of reading "The unofficial Biography of Leon Russell"...

* I found the most interesting part of the book, is when Willie started working, and opening for Leon..... At a bar, after hrs. Willie ( a then still drinking Willie ) goes' on a tangent, and asks Russell's advice on becoming famous.... After all, Leon had worked with all the greats, making movies, with the likes of 'Joe Cocker' Eric Clapton, George Harrison to name a few....

Leon told him ( in a drunken stupor )( it's a book now ) that in order to become famous, that he needed to change his looks..... Willie asks " how'd be that"? And Leon said, well, your hair is growing longer, DON'T CUT IT!!! Grow it SO LONG, you can wear braids... Yup, two braids.... And instead of wearing that bandana on your forehead, wear it around your neck.... Then came the beads, and the costume that over took Wille... Wille is a great artist, song writer, guitar player, on & on & on...

But I'll always think that Leon gave him perfect advice..... To me he wouldn't be Willie Nelson, without those signiture long braids of red hair...

None-the-less .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Willie Nelson.... Look forward to seeing you in Syracuse New York, with Bob Dylan, and John Mellencamp... Gonna be a great summer... Just got that vibe!!!

:) Rb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy BD Bro Willie! And many more...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Love ya' Willie......Happy Birthday!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy birthday, Willie!

Does this mean that chonklit-flavored doobies are in order?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

What an idea! Mine will be dark chonklit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am

BlunderVirgin

rbrown wrote:
Todays is Willie's birthday. A happy happy, to the Red Haired Stranger...

A friend of mine is still in pursuit of getting his biography of Leon Russell in print.. ( now in the hands of an editor in England ... Copywrite laws aren't so stringent )

I've had the privelege of reading "The unofficial Biography of Leon Russell"...

* I found the most interesting part of the book, is when Willie started working, and opening for Leon..... At a bar, after hrs. Willie ( a then still drinking Willie ) goes' on a tangent, and asks Russell's advice on becoming famous.... After all, Leon had worked with all the greats, making movies, with the likes of 'Joe Cocker' Eric Clapton, George Harrison to name a few....

Leon told him ( in a drunken stupor )( it's a book now ) that in order to become famous, that he needed to change his looks..... Willie asks " how'd be that"? And Leon said, well, your hair is growing longer, DON'T CUT IT!!! Grow it SO LONG, you can wear braids... Yup, two braids.... And instead of wearing that bandana on your forehead, wear it around your neck.... Then came the beads, and the costume that over took Wille... Wille is a great artist, song writer, guitar player, on & on & on...

But I'll always think that Leon gave him perfect advice..... To me he wouldn't be Willie Nelson, without those signiture long braids of red hair...

None-the-less .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Willie Nelson.... Look forward to seeing you in Syracuse New York, with Bob Dylan, and John Mellencamp... Gonna be a great summer... Just got that vibe!!!

:) Rb

I can't believe there isn't a bio on Leon. His story is amazing and starts at such a young age. Playing in bars at 14. That could never happen now. So is your friend named Steve? One has been talked about for years and I am growing impatient. If that is true about Leon giving Willie that advice, well it sure worked. You know Leon was instrumental in the Austin scene back in the 70's and helped make the famous Willie picnics become popular by bringing in the "hippie" element. Love both of them.