Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Re: Christmas 2008
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:17 am

The W!zard

Pat - that truly is a great pic... I had forgotten that one. I liked it so much that I'm pretty sure that was a picture I used for the Blunderite calendar I did back in 2001. I really need to get the gallery back on line and working because I can see a section for "Blunder In The Sky" or some such, to remember those who have moved on but are still in all our hearts. Thanks again for sharing that picture!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:15 am

Arlo Fanatic

I am just stunned & in shock & upset. (tears etc) He was such a nice guy & a fixture at so many Arlo shows. I just can't believe it. It's so sad. I just told Mike & he was so sorry to hear about it. I had done a webpage in tribute to him on my Arlo site but when I went to my Arlo site just now to find it, the Arlo site & it wasn't coming up. I bet YAHOO knocked it off cuz I hadn't updated it in awhile. He was the original busdriver & we will never forget him. I'll always associate him with big red. I still can't believe it. So many memories like him almost falling in the mud at Gaithersburg once. Or showing off Arlo's new camper bus. Our condolences to Arlo & Fitzy & co. Prayers for you all. One thing I noticed was that today is the anniversary of the death of our friend Geoff who died on this date a few yrs ago. Too many are passing on too soon. We'll never forget you. So glad we got to know you...

I wonder how Michael the other former busdriver is doing. Hope he is is doing okay...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:15 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Condolences to all people who knew the bussdriver and specialy his familie . Looks like it was a man who always was ready for a friendly word and to help people . Such people make life worth to be lived .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:47 am

I have such fond memories of Dennis. He had such a warm and positive energy. I am not quite ready to be using the past tense here. My condolences to Deb and to all those who had the great fortune to have your lives more touched with that energy than I had.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=2735197

(Link is to a photo from maybe ten years ago.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I am very sad. Thoughts and prayers to Dennis' family. Pat's picture is great. Reading about Dennis to me it shows how he was: Loving and embracing the world with everything in it.
Peace and Love
Brigitte

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

You don't always get to say goodbye the way you would have liked...
This is one of them.

He will be missed.

Ken, Sherry and Joyce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

This is sad news indeed. I'm sure Dennis is with Todd now reliving old times. If they have buses in heaven, he's probably working on one , or else fixing angel wings that need repair.

mikey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm

BlunderVirgin

It is so sad to note the passing of our dear friend, Dennis....on this, the longest darkest night of the year. We respond with disbelief....with sadness....with a sense of how very fragile and precious life really is..... Dennis was always there....always so strong.....always so...well....Dennis!! He blessed our world with that ear to ear grin....with his gentle watchfulness.....with his kindness and acceptance. It is hard to believe that his big heart is stilled forever..... How very much he was and is loved....and how very much he will be missed! Deb....my thoughts and prayers are with you...... Good bye, Sweet Prince.......you have left the world a better place for your being here.......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:11 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I didn't have the privilege of knowing Dennis, but I can see the hole he's left in the world. You are (all of you who knew him) in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:30 am

Senior ArloNetizen

FIFI wrote:
It is so sad to note the passing of our dear friend, Dennis....on this, the longest darkest night of the year. We respond with disbelief....with sadness....with a sense of how very fragile and precious life really is..... Dennis was always there....always so strong.....always so...well....Dennis!! He blessed our world with that ear to ear grin....with his gentle watchfulness.....with his kindness and acceptance. It is hard to believe that his big heart is stilled forever..... How very much he was and is loved....and how very much he will be missed! Deb....my thoughts and prayers are with you...... Good bye, Sweet Prince.......you have left the world a better place for your being here.......

This is ...an incredible eulogy.

I have met only a few of you, yet feel your loss deeply. The strength of the Blunderite community is... extraordinary. My sincere condolences.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:00 am

Senior ArloNetizen

.I'm so sorry for everyones loss.

I say everyone because it truly seems that this man touched every one of you in one way or another. I didn't know the man, but I have gotten a sense of him from all of you. I know the name fitzy and well....this family has truly had a lot to deal with.
We can wonder "Why him? Why now?" all we want and none of us knows when the answers will come. We are not suppose to question...but we all do. There was a reason why it was him and why it was now...of all times. Christmas just took on a whole new meaning to this family. I can only Pray that in the future, the joy will return to his family this time of year and instead of looking at it with sadness, you choose it as a time to celebrate Dennis' life and his Love for each of you.

I cannot tell you the sense of joy I got from just this man's smile. That spoke volumes to me. I know this is a hard loss. Please keep close to your Faith. Know that while your hurt and mad and sad and angry, that Dennis has an arm around you. (and he's not alone)

As hard as it may be...please keep your humor. I sense he would want that. You have described him as being a really funny guy. The type of guy that while he may be in Heaven with his arm around you..comforting you...he's picking imanginary fleas out of your hair...THAT type of humor. Humor & Laughter are major healing tools...please use them...for you...for him. I get the feeling he's given you a LOT to work with.... aside from how much of himself he gave to others.

I'm sorry if bringing up humor now of all times is in bad taste. I honestly don't think Dennis wanted to leave so suddenly, especially at this time of year....he would hate to see you all hurting so. In the midst of trying to stay to close to you, he has lot's to do right now...getting fitted for wings and learning how the Heavenly tools work..like Mikey said! This is just how I choose to think of it.

However you choose to handle it...I'm very very sorry for the loss of this groovy man and for the entire Blunderite family he had to leave behind.

Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:35 pm

ArloNetizen

Pat - I loved your picture of Dennis. A beautiful remembrance of a joyful guy. And Arlo, thank you for your sobering words, as well. My heart goes out to all his family and friends.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:55 pm

BlunderVirgin

Hi y'all, it's me, Shirley in Texas. I've been underground for a long time, but I needed to join my Blunder friends in paying tribute to our dear Dennis, and to tell Fitzy and family you're in my prayers. I first saw Dennis in Nov. 1989 an Indian restaurant in NYC, sitting at a table in the corner all by himself, smoking a cigarette - you could do that back then. He looked kind of lonely, so I went over and talked to him. I thought he might be too shy to join the rowdy bunch that had taken over the place - I was one of the lucky ones who had traveled with Arlo to Europe that August, and we were having a reunion after Arlo's Carnegie show. We started talking, and others joined us, and that was the last time I ever thought of him as shy :D He had the biggest heart I ever saw, and he'd do anything for anybody without a second thought. One of my friends said he just used that heart up, working all out to help others, and that about sums it up. You'll be missed, dear Dennis - but in the words of a great philosopher, "My old friend, I'll see you again ..."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss and am sending prayers and blundervibes to Deb and all the family.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I've been trying for days to remember when the first time I ever met Dennis was. It may have been in that Indian Restaurant, the same time that Shirley met him. Or it may have been a few months later in Florida. But it really doesn't matter where or when I met him. He was a part of my life for years, and I feel blessed to have been able to call him my friend. Dennis was such a great guy! We had a lot of good times together, and some rough ones, too. We hung out at gigs, went out to eat, visited with each other in our homes, laughed together and probably cried together a time or two. He fixed the rack in my closet when it pulled out of the wall and everything came crashing down. And I mean EVERYTHING! He just happened to be in town then, so he did it. He probably would have shared his peppershaker with me, too, if I had asked, but lucky for him, I prefer my food unpeppered. He was truly one of the good guys.

One of my favorite memories of Dennis is something that happened 2-3 years ago. I can't remember exactly when, except it was after Dennis had stopped working for Arlo and was working for the state. He and Fitzy and I met up in Torrington before Arlo's show at the Warner Theater. We had a bite in a local restaurant before the show, and were hanging out in the theater lobby afterwards, while Arlo did his meet and greet thing. I went up and gave Arlo a hug, so he knew I was there, but Dennis and Fitzy hung back till there was no one else there but us. Dennis went up to Arlo and said "Great show!", or something like that. He had his baseball hat pulled down low and was bundled up in his jacket. Arlo was tired at that point--just said "Thanks" with only a quick glance, then did a doubletake and realized who was standing in front of him. "Dennis!!!!", he yelled, and leapt to his feet, running around the table, and he grabbed Dennis in one of the biggest, happiest bearhugs I'd ever seen. Then the two started yak, yak, yakking away like a couple of magpies, catching up on all the latest gossip. Fitzy and I just stood there, laughing our heads off. And that's the way it was with Dennis. Wherever Dennis was, laughter was seldom far away. I will miss his laugh, his humor, his hugs, and the way he would turn his eyelids inside out and roll his eyes so all you could see was the whites of his eyes. And I will miss his spirit. Rest in peace, old friend.