Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Christmas 2008
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 am

The Folkslinger

This is one of my favorite times of year. And usually I would be wishing everyone a wondrous moment or two amid the noise, the buying and selling of things, the usual madness. I still hope everyone gets a quiet moment to think about important things... Sometimes you don't have to wish for very long before real life comes crashing into your heart.

Abe called about 4:30 this morning. He was on his way to Dennis and Deb's house in Becket. For anyone not familiar with our family, Abe is my son - Dennis drove our busses for decades, hauling us around the country, and Deb works in our office - running our online store.

For the last few years Dennis has been working for the state, plowing roads in winter etc. The work was good and the last few weeks have kept everyone busy. First there was the ice storm - The effects are still being felt. Then staring yesterday the big snow storm.

For the last week, Dennis was out almost 24 hours a day, coming home only long enough to get something to eat and an hour sleep before getting back in the truck.

Late last night a fellow state worker found Dennis' truck off the road. Apparently, Dennis had a heart attack while clearing the roads. I don't have all the details. But, we lost a very dear friend last night. For those who knew him, or who know me, you understand it is like losing a brother...

As the holidays approach please keep Dennis' family and friends in your prayers. I know how much many of you reading this loved the guy - none more than our family. Dennis was family.

In this sobering moment, glimpse into the heart of what these holidays are all about - love - memories - and the joys we've shared with each other over the decades. These are worth celebrating - a good life is a gift worth more than words can say...

adg

Attachment:
PIC00002.JPG
PIC00002.JPG [ 200.46 KiB | Viewed 33961 times ]

Post subject: Re: Christmas 2008
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

Oh, God, no!!!!!!!! Oh, no!!!!! I can't believe this!!! My heart goes out to Deb and his whole family and all who love him!!!! I can hardly see to type right now, for the tears. Oh, my God!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:55 am

Arlo Fanatic

There is a huge hole in the world right now, and an even bigger place in many hearts where Dennis still resides. Oh, Fitzy ... you're in our hearts and Blunderhugs.

Last edited by Ceashel on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:57 am

ArloNetizen

Sometimes words just can not express....
I am so so sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I also don't have the words right now. This is such a shock. Blunderhugs all around. Such a loss.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

A smiling face that will be missed. Extra thoughts and prayers go out to Deb. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:53 am

Senior ArloNetizen

A true friend who touched so many lives. Prayers for him, his family and all who knew and loved him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

I was fortunate to meet Dennis years ago while he was doing some kind of repair work on Arlo's bus before a show. He was an extremely friendly and funny man, who took the time to talk with us, total strangers, and tell us a funny story about the trip down. Blessings and vibes going out from my family to Deb, the Guthries, and all whose lives were touched by him.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

No words can express my feelings ... Dennis - you will be missed, but somehow you will always be 'there'

Deb - I don't know what to say, except... I love you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Oh my God! Fitzy I am so sorry about your loss. I think I did meet Dennis one time this past Thanksgiving. Blundervibes, my prayers and thoughts go out to you and Dennis' family ((((((HUGS))))))

Peace and Love,
Lorie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:57 pm

ArloNetizen

I was so sorry to hear of Dennis's passing. The earth is sadder place without his friendly smile and immense heart.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

so sad to hear of Dennis' passing...
I didn't know him well but had an instant memory of one concert in Somerville...when I was feeling poorly.... Dennis must have noticed as he came over to ask if I needed help to the stage to see Arlo....I was just going to go home so Dennis made sure we got out of the theater.... he is a gentle,kind
soul...

my heart and prayers to fitzy and all of Dennis' family, to the Guthries and all of Dennis' friends....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:29 pm

ArloNetizen

I am all teary, and if you know me, I don't cry easily. All the times that Dennis welcomed us and took care of us were beyond counting. He always gave so much to so many. He will be missed.

Petie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:32 pm

This is hard to process. Although we hadn't spent time together in a while, there are so many great memories. He touched a lot of hearts over the years in the blundercommunity. Blunderhugs all around...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:55 pm

BlunderVirgin

Dennis became a good friend over the years and we always looked forward to seeing him when we could. As Petie said, he offered his friendship in many ways - like warming mashed potatoes on the bus for Eric's dinner at the Indian River Festival one year.

It's not surprising that his last activity was working to make his community safer. My thoughts and heart to all of Dennis's family and friends. We will all miss him, but are better for having known him.