Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: IN TIMES LIKE THESE
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:48 am

The Folkslinger

It's OUT! Finally available at RSR, Amazon, iTunes and places like that. If anyone has heard it and likes it, please go to any of the above (or all) and add some comments and/or reviews. The review from All Music Guide is whacky, the guy is analyzing me instead of reviewing the CD, and we need all the good thoughts, cards, and letters we can get, to let everyone know about it. The first reviews on iTunes means a lot. Please help. adg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:00 am

ArloNetizen

:D You got it Arlo...been a long wait hasn't it. As soon as I'm done with my move this Fri :shock: I will order mine and will leave possitive vibes wherever I can :) By the way..why are you up so early on your birthday? Didn't they let you sleep in and bring you breakfast in bed?? oh wait, that's my birthday wish.. :wink:

Rose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:06 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Arlo, have just listened to your In Times Like These... who wrote your orchestrations? I really like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:12 am

Senior ArloNetizen

James Burton arranged all the songs.

kurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:38 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks, Kurt. I just read the review on allmusic and did find that out. The review seems like a string of back-handed compliments. Odd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Thanks adg:) I put in my order yesterday at RSR and should be receiving it sometime this week YIPPEE! I'm anxious to hear the CD sounds like an awesome arrangement done with the orchestra 8)

Peace,
Lorie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:57 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I'm finally getting a chance to listen to my birthday present (I guess Arlo read The Hobbit (Thanks, Arlo!)).

Wondering what the fuss was about, I finally found the All Music Group review by William Ruhlmann. Giving a rock and roll reviewer a classical album may have added to the confusion. Mr. Ruhlmann's book on the Grateful Dead was kind of bittersweet towards the end. I'm not sure that Mr. Ruhlmann has attended many of Arlo's shows in the last couple of years.

Having been started on string bass in high school orchestral band and string quartet (they tried to start me on cornet in grade school but while I can make nice noises with brass, I don't comprehend brass), all I can say is it must have been a blast to be in the University of Kentucky Orchestra for that week or so.

James Burton did a spectacular job. He got the orchestra to feel "finger picked" for Darkest Hour! Nothing trite in these arrangements.

If you peel the orchestra away, it was Arlo at his best vocally. The violins stepped on his guitar once or twice but not too bad. On the whole, the sound is well balanced.

It was the usual show only there were seventy-some more folks on stage for the occasion and any storys that occurred didn't make it to a track.

kurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:22 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Can't wait to get my order from RSR. Probably will take a little longer over the ocean. Keeping my fingers crossed that the customs man doesn't check my package again. Hate it when the package comes in all torn up and with extra customs fee to pay. Maybe I should give the guys a Frankfurt Airport a CD with Coming into Los Angeles as a present. :) I'll leave reviews on iTunes and Amazon here in Germany as soon as possible. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

okay, so arlo - is there a preferred place where we (I) should purchase the cd? Does it have any better impact for you if we go to RSR or iTunes for example? Or are all sales equal in value to you?
I see on Amazon that the CD is available, but ships in 7 to 12 days!!? And why no samples to listen to?

and someone go get the reviewer at all music a new ear and a cheerier disposition. I think you disappointed him by not including any stories on the cd, and he's taking you to task for it... just my 32 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:46 am

Arlo Fanatic

The songs ARE stories....for the most part!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

geez... that review in All Music really bothered me...
I went back to look again, and first thing i note is there is no place for comment or rebuttal. Their rating is solely based on this review??
This guy is whacked.
I mean, his observation:
Quote:
Even "Goodnight Irene" and "Can't Help Falling in Love," which close the disc, are songs about romantic notions more desperate than enraptured.
is so off base. How totally reversed can you get than to call CHFiL a "desperate" notion? That song just pours out from the heart and radiates romanticism...

hooboy! i need to calm down now... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

For the most part, those that can, do, and those that can't become critics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
I just received my copy of the CD in the mail today! I love turbo mail delivery, great job Annie and staff :D

I am currently listening to it on my PC, even though I am a little grammar deficient here is my review and opinion on the CD: Two thumbs up and Two toes up! Great job adg 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

A potential problem with a project like this is that the symphony could overpower the featured solo performer. It's clear to me that this is not the case with this recording. While the symphony is clearly very complimentary, it is never overpowering. This keeps the integrity of the songs and the featured solo artist intact.
For the critic that found the project lacking because of Arlo's lack of narrative rather than musical story telling, he just doesn't get it. I'm sure he will be looking forward to Arlo's next spoken word or premier stand-up recording at some future date so he can complain about the lack of music. :roll:

Two thumbs up and diggin' it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm

ArloNetizen

Larry wrote:
For the most part, those that can, do, and those that can't become critics.

There's a great scene in Truffault's La Nuit Americaine(I think, maybe it was the 400 Blows). He sends his son off to school with his violin saying, "Study hard and someday you'll be a world famous musician."

The kid responds, "And if I don't study hard?"

The father says, "You'll become a music critic."

Always loved that scene.

The review was kind of strange. It's like the whole industry is focused on producing and marketing these cookie cutter tracks.

So don't you go putting a symphony behind you, Arlo. You're a folk/rock artist, for God's sake! And don't worry, be happy, will ya'? All this self-reflection and thought-provoking is bad for business.

If something doesn't fit the image that they've painted for a song or album, they can't evaluate it. It was an example of what Arlo was talking about in the title track. Kind of sad actually. There will never be any more wonderful surprises, like Woodstock or Dylan at Newport in '64. Come to think of it, the review reminded me a lot of the stories about the music critics and Dylan at Newport. Looks like you're in good company, adg.

Mark