Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

......or, you could take up keyboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't think stretching exercises are going to help me much...pinkie tip to end of my thumb is only 7 inches...I guess it's a good thing I didn't set my sights on being a concert pianist... :lol:

I've played around with DADGAD tuning; it fits in well with the Irish fiddle stuff I also play. I haven't tried this song in that tuning yet, tho...it's worth investigating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:23 pm

7? That's harsh. Ive got between 10 and a foot. I love having lanky hands :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

I have a nylon string classical guitar. In the 70's after getting it I changed the strings to steel strings cuz I thought the nylon strings sounded kinda wimpy. I play that & keyboards too. Then I later added autoharp, mountain dulcimer & canjo (can banjo). I'm not too good at playing either lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:20 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Hmm Double drop D. I guess that would mean more open strings so less to hit but the F# moves to sixth string fourth fret. With double drop D for D/F# need to hit second string third fret, third string second fret, and sixth string fourth fret? A G is fifth string second fret? Too much too soon! I gotta get used to drop D before I take on double drop D. :)

kurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:14 pm

BlunderVirgin

Just a thought, but since it's in Drop D tuning, it seems to make more sense to play the G chord like an F chord two frets up, with your thumb on the 5th fret of the 6th string (the G note). That way, you go from the D/F# chord (playing the F# bass note with your pinky) to the G chord (with the G bass note), creating the bass run ADG was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I've been thinking about growing some extra fingers or even a third hand. Maybe if I move near Three Mile Island or somewhere near where Dupont has a plant or something? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Larry wrote:
I've been thinking about growing some extra fingers or even a third hand. Maybe if I move near Three Mile Island or somewhere near where Dupont has a plant or something? :wink:

LOL!!! There should be a new product for guitar players who have a difficult time reaching the upper chord or fret entitled Handi-On :D "Just apply Handi-On with the attachable wand and get super duper fast results in days" "Look Mom no more normal hands!"
"Don't get ticked off, get Handi-On" :wink:

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:59 pm

The Folkslinger

Slap a capo on the 2nd fret and it'll be in E major (not much difference) and the frets will be closer together :)

adg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:10 pm

freako wrote:
Just a thought, but since it's in Drop D tuning, it seems to make more sense to play the G chord like an F chord two frets up, with your thumb on the 5th fret of the 6th string (the G note). That way, you go from the D/F# chord (playing the F# bass note with your pinky) to the G chord (with the G bass note), creating the bass run ADG was talking about.

Ive been playing a G5 there, it sounds nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:49 pm

My latest use of "My Peace" is at the churches I serve. During the liturgy, there is a place where people wander around the sanctuary greeting others by saying, "The peace of Christ be with you." If someone says this to you, the response is "And also with you." Anyway, while people are doing this, I play & sing "My Peace" from the chancel. It seems to be the perfect background for the welcome that people are extending to each other in church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

That sounds like a neat church service. I bet you do a really good job on it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:11 pm

kurt wrote:
Maybe make the D with pinkie, ring and middle and get the F# with the pointer? There must be a way...

kurt...

Try using first and middle fingers on the third and second strings to make a partial D, give up and mute the 1st string, and hit the F# on the sixth with the middle finger.

This puts you in easy position to make the G as 330055 (index on the 1s and middle-pinky on 5s), and preserve the bass run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:42 pm

donh wrote:
Try using first and middle fingers on the third and second strings to make a partial D, give up and mute the 1st string, and hit the F# on the sixth with the middle finger

or make the D with first finger barre to hit one and three, and second finger on the second string, hitting the F# with whichever of the other two fingers gets there first . . . :-)

-d-

Post subject: Tune to a D
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:01 am

Working on this with tuned to a "D" six string. Very interesting. It is a beautiful song. First time I heard it I cannot truly describe what I felt. Try it on a twelve string you will be pleasantly surprised.