Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject: Re: The North End Zone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Cheryl good to 'see' you again too. And good to hear you and Mike are doing well it seems. At least I trust you are doing well and agnes too and, hopefully every one else. Life steers us around to other places for a while and that's where I've been. Always had you folks in the back of my mind, but like so many other things was not able to keep you foremost. My apologies.

Our week last week was rainy off and on and off and on and cloudy and grey and down and low and gloomy but the trees.....

They are all yellow and orange and red and green and light green and yellow/green and brown and wonderful looking. After today though they won't have many leaves left since we have a good breeze going.

I've been trying to walk a couple of miles each day and it's nice looking at the trees and noticing the change in color as winter approaches.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I own a copy of that butcher baby album. bought it at TGandY sometime in 65 or 66 and steamed off the over cover in 72 or 73.

Been down the UK, Boston Arms...Kaste Off Kinks on Sunday. Two versions of the band this year the 70's version with John Dalton and John Gosling and the 80's version with Jim Rodford (originally a Zombie) and Ian Gibbons.

Great Fun! Ray showed up and sang Acute Schizophrenia and Waterloo Sunset and Low Budget and a few others....I was out with Ray on the sidewalk after the show and the camera didn't work... Told him he was big in Oklahoma...he just smiled. Took a Piper plane to the Isle of Wight one day and flew over the English channel for a few minutes....Great views. Went to an old (1200's) church in the village of Swinbrook and looked at Fettiplace memorials. I thought it bizarre that a little village like this in the cotswalds was bombed during WWII. Had a wonderfull tour of the old Hook Norton Brewery and drank too many pints. Pissed as a fart after a session or two in the Pear Tree! Hey Ho!
It was good to see the UK gang!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

psb!!!!!!

not long ago i went on one of those dollar and fifty cent train rides?...you know, the ones that roll through the woods at around five miles and hour?...and like when you get to the bridge and there you are going over the bridge at a screaming five miles an hour?... so you throw caution to the wind and your arms in the air and say, "wheeeeee!"?...anyway one of those!

so glad to see you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome back folks! Sadly, Mike had a heart attack March 3rd & didn't make it passing on to heaven. I wrote about it on another topic on here. Not able to afford to live alone, I moved in with my folks and had to rent out my house to get in some income. Mike's alot happier up there than I am here without him. Sat we are gonna go with my folks to Nags Head for a week. Should be fun but not as much fun without Mike...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

that song low budget?....i had no idea that was a kinks song!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I am indeed sorry to make that unfortunate statement. The picture - Mike I am assuming - just looked good and well....I hope I didn't make you sad by the mention.

I was reading through an old Story Board thing where Mike had contributed - it involved the Monkees. those 2 men from U.N.C.L.E. and baseball. It brought a smile.

I know I asked this in the forum under 'Questions I'd like to ask' but I'm going to ask again. Is that story that was going to be archived anywhere to be found? I was under the impression that it was perhaps one of the first - if not THE first - that unfolded here. It was great fun and funny and I'd like to read it again as it brings smiles. Larry had some stuff he put in that was hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Sorry to not address you PSB. Do you still have your album? (Butcher cover) Mine was the same as your situation. I purchased mine in my local small town record /appliance shop. Had a friend who kept insisting that I had an original with the paste over (second state for you who know about this thing), but I resisted the temptation to steam it off. Finally found out more about the whole thing and one day when the friend was over I gave into his urging; fired up the kettle and steamed the paste over off with excellent results. Mine was the mono version of the album.

Sold it in 2005 for $600 so I could help my oldest son out with some college expenses he had at the time. Kind of wish I still had it, but I'm glad I made the choice to help him out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

No you didn't make me sad. I figured maybe you didn't know what had happened to him. Since he had no idea how to use a computer, he must've dictated it to me...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

okay alright i'll admit,,,the piper plane ride sounds even more exciting than the train ride if that could possibly be.

humph!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 pm

There is something to be said about speed agnes. (No Larry, not the drug - the motion either forward backward sideways etc.)

We have a train thing here in Boone. The Boone & Scenic Valley RR purchased the last steam locomotive from an iron works place in China which they run on special occasions. They use a diesel for most of the other times. There is a dinner train, dessert train, and other specials along with "normal" train rides also. Thomas the Tank Engine comes in once a year too which is fun for the kids (and grown up kids also). It goes out over the Des Moines River valley just north of High Bridge which was just replaced with a newer structure. They left the original as it is/was the longest/highest double trestle bridge in the world (or something like that.(I always get the highest/longest thing mixed up) More info www.scenic-valleyrr.com if you're interested.

In the fall - like now - it's quite a colorful ride with the leaves on the trees in the valley all colors. Quite spectacular!

They've seemed to have changed the name of the bridge to the Kate Shelley High Bridge, but that confuses things too much as there are remains of the bridge which Kate Shelley crossed to stop the train and thus save the lives of several folks when that bridge washed out when Honey Creek flooded and man I just made one dandy of a run on sentence. Sorry about that. The true Kate Shelley bridge is in a much different place than High Bridge - farther south and a little west.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 am

Arlo Fanatic

Bit of a train nut myself, Ron, and always interested in Iowa railroad history. My wife was born in Des Moines, and grew up in Council Bluffs. Isn't Boone on the UP now (way back when, the C&NW)?

A few years back, we took a trip from her sister's near Mt. Pleasant all the way to Salt Lake City, UT on the California Zephyr. First-class all the way, but expensive!

mikey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Indeed it is Mikey. I was under the impression that UP bought C&NW or at least took them over. When I was still in high school my family went to CA by train over Christmas vacation in 69 and 70. Boarded in Perry as the train still stopped there and disembarked somewhere in CA - don't remember where for some reason. I remember coming into Lost Wages at night; rounding that bluff/hill/whatever and seeing a virtual galaxy of swirling lights folding into the epicenter that is the Strip. Impressive! Most Impressive! (oops movie dialog fragment buildup)

My brother and I made trips back and forth and back and forth; going as far forward and to the rear as we could. Spent time in the observation car after it was supposed to be closed. Don't recall sleeping much - more from exhaustion than anything I 'spect. One of the years the steam lines froze and when we got into Lost Wages that year - in the daytime - it was warmer outside at 38 degrees than it was inside the train. (At least it seemed that way) The lines didn't thaw until we got into CA then it was almost too warm inside the train. It felt good to stand outside in Vegas and warm ourselves in the sun. Ramblin' now, sorry. Good to 'see' you Mikey. (assuming your are the same Mikey from the years ago when I first joined up here)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm probably the same guy you're thinking of; I've been on here since forever. Incidentally, the current (December) issue of "Trains" magazine has an article on the 10/1/09 dedication of the new Kate Shelley Bridge on p. 13. Your town's mayor is mentioned in it; yes, UP built it at a cost of $50 million.

mikey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:55 pm

So they did rename it! I wondered if it was an official thing or someone just got their history mixed up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Don't know where else to put this but. On the fat people message boards they were discussing website that sells vintage style sunglasses. I looked at it & it had on there Arlo sunglasses. http://www.giantvintage.com/product_inf ... s_id=18070

The kid wearing them is not bad looking and has his hair fixed nice & cute. Anyhow I wondered if those glasses were named after our Arlo? Just wondering.

And btw my Arlo website is now dead & gone. Cuz dumb Geocities decided to get rid of all free websites. I thought I had until tonite to save it on computer but no they got rid of it already. hadn't had the time to save and download it yet. Guess I'll have to start a new website. Yikes and YUCK! And there went my tribute to Dennis pages too... :(