Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yep...the soapy water kills them...it also destroys their webby home, leaving them open to being eaten by birds if we missed 'em with the soapy water.

Larry, you go right ahead and enjoy some caterpillar stir-fry...I won't be joining you!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

You sure Sue? Did I tell you that I'm serving chonklit covered ants for desert? :P

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Not liking to waste stuff...I have a problem with deer munching on my hostas. I have a flower bed that has a lot of stuff in it... several plain green and varigated hostas,a crepe myrtle, some herbs like lemon balm (have to put that where you can hit it with a lawnmower from time to time...it spreads!!) basil and thyme, some mini roses (white and red, all blooming!) a zucchini plant, a couple of peony plants, ladie's mantle and two hydrangeas. The deer LOVE the hostas, and the last couple of years, have nibbled all the leaves off, leaving stalks poking straight up from the plants. A landscaper friend suggested garlic oil. I didn't have any of that handy, but I DO have a drawer full of partially used cologne and perfume bottles, most of it dating back to before 1980. I figured, well, if something stinky keeps the deer away, why not 30 year old cheap cologne? It's not like I'm going to use it...I'm allergic to most of it. A lot of it was gifts, and it's just awful! So I got rid of some this afternoon...it got sprinkled on the hostas. The side yard smells like the perfume counter at Macy's...I'll let you know if it attracts or repels the deer. If it works, I'll be getting rid of that drawer full of useless bottles. It was something amusing to do, anyway...and when I came in, one of my cats was absolutely crazy over the perfume spilled on my hands. I didn't know he liked it!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

if deer start showing up wearing loud clothes...don't complain to me!

actually, i saw a deer today...she was standing in a slow stream eating some kind of grass or something in there...she needed a napkin i think :)
i also heard and saw a bullfrog! i looked right at him and i said, "i didn't hear nuthin. and i don't see nuthin."

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Funny

I went bird watching just 5 minutes from where I work friday for lunch

I saw an orchard Oriole (or a few of those), some mocking birds, A little itty bitty gnat eating bird, some turkey vultures "in kettle" (if you know what that means), a green back Heron, some bluebirds, some red wing black birds, and a Baltimore Oriole (definitely the coolest of the bunch)!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:50 am

Arlo Fanatic

i saw a red wing black bird last weekend!

i had to look up what is a green back heron (saw some blue herons yesterday)
and i am wondering now, if it was that bird i saw once sitting all bunched up on a tree that had fallen across the water. i was looking at him the whole time i went round and he was looking at me the whole time i was looking at him even though he wasn't moving his head very much and i knew it couldn't be but it made me laugh to think and i said out loud, "what is that a penguin?" and i could just imagine him saying back, "penguin my ass!"

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

I drove by a KFC and saw a variety of species of chickens. Grilled, original receipe, extra crispy, grilled and boneless. The boneless ones walked kinda funny. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

oh yeah...go orioles!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Is it a bevy of quail or a covey of quail? Anyway, a bunch of them baby birds were following their mama down my driveway the other morning and my killer cat grabbed one of the stragglers. I did the rescue thing, and the little chick went on its merry way to catch up with the rest of them. My cat was not impressed!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"I t'ought I taw a puddy tat......"!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

We would get Baltimore Oriole birds in our yard. They were so cute. I ate with my folks at a Chinese Buffet today and they had crawdads on there. They were sooo yummy...

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
Not liking to waste stuff...I have a problem with deer munching on my hostas. I have a flower bed that has a lot of stuff in it... several plain green and varigated hostas,a crepe myrtle, some herbs like lemon balm (have to put that where you can hit it with a lawnmower from time to time...it spreads!!) basil and thyme, some mini roses (white and red, all blooming!) a zucchini plant, a couple of peony plants, ladie's mantle and two hydrangeas. The deer LOVE the hostas, and the last couple of years, have nibbled all the leaves off, leaving stalks poking straight up from the plants. A landscaper friend suggested garlic oil. I didn't have any of that handy, but I DO have a drawer full of partially used cologne and perfume bottles, most of it dating back to before 1980. I figured, well, if something stinky keeps the deer away, why not 30 year old cheap cologne? It's not like I'm going to use it...I'm allergic to most of it. A lot of it was gifts, and it's just awful! So I got rid of some this afternoon...it got sprinkled on the hostas. The side yard smells like the perfume counter at Macy's...I'll let you know if it attracts or repels the deer. If it works, I'll be getting rid of that drawer full of useless bottles. It was something amusing to do, anyway...and when I came in, one of my cats was absolutely crazy over the perfume spilled on my hands. I didn't know he liked it!

I just have not stopped laughing about this. If the deer have the same reaction as your cat, you may see them rolling around in your hostas instead of eating them.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

We didn't lose any hostas overnight...!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Any reports of funky smelling deer breaking into perfume stores?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
We would get Baltimore Oriole birds in our yard. They were so cute.

So would we. I couldn't get them to stop throwing baseballs in my back yard...