Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject: Does Anybody Know?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:13 pm

Does anybody here know anything about the "church"? I checked out the info at Arlo.net but they didn't seem to give much info except for how it came to be the Guthrie Center. What I was wondering is; do they have Woodie artifacts in there? I know it's an interfaith church but do they have someone to lead people in prayer, or is it a bring-your-own-God and say-your-own-prayers kind of place? Do they hold concerts there? Can people just walk in off the street and perform there? Is it opened 24 hours a day? Do they have a gift shop? Does anybody know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Does anybody here know anything about the "church"? Yep ...but not necessarily me...

I checked out the info at Arlo.net but they didn't seem to give much info except for how it came to be the Guthrie Center. Go to www.guthriecenter.org and check out all the pages on that website... very cool stuff going on there!

What I was wondering is; do they have Woodie artifacts in there? I think maybe a few?

I know it's an interfaith church but do they have someone to lead people in prayer, or is it a bring-your-own-God and say-your-own-prayers kind of place? Pretty much the latter... and kind of a Community Center, at the same time.

Do they hold concerts there? Yes - check out the Troubador series, every Thurs/Fri/Sat during the summer... and Arlo is doing shows during the first two weekends in October.

Can people just walk in off the street and perform there? Not sure how this works, but I believe all performances are scheduled... but if you are in the neighborhood, bring your git-fiddle and see what happens... if nothing else, you could play with the folks outside waiting to get into a show...

Is it opened 24 hours a day? No... they have hours... listed on the website, if I'm not mistaken

Do they have a gift shop? Yep...

Does anybody know? Yep... but not necessarily me, so if I'm wrong about anything, somebody please correct me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:17 pm

Hey, thanks WF! I have this hope of someday visiting the church. It doesn't look like it's going to be soon, but someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:22 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Duncan, all I can say, is move that trip up to the top of your to-do list!!! I went there for my first concert last Spring, and I'll definitely be back. The Church is a wonderful place, with something for everyone. Concerts are great there, due to the accoustics (it was a church before amplifiers) and atmosphere. There is surely something special about just being there. (Of course, if you can manage to be there for an Arlo concert, it's even more special).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

i guess we could say that arlo's guru, Ma
leads us in prayer when she is around..which
sadly is seldom....

but i'm sure we'd let you lead us in prayer..
perhaps that's why all this happend??

who's to say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Todd, speaking of prayer and the church, while I was there last night, I said a silent one for you. I think somehow , someway, they work better there. I hope you can feel it today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:02 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Excellent, Larry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:03 pm

BlunderVirgin

Duncan - don't have much to add except that you can call there, the number is on the webpage - lisa guthrie can maybe answer some of your questions -she's open wed thru sat this summer; i forget the hours though. something like 1-5 maybe. i went once, just a couple of weeks ago when arlo played; got there early in the afternoon and was allowed to go in and wander. there's a small gift shop. i inquired about interfaith services also; i was told they don't hold any; but it is an interfaith community center. it's a couple miles from town, out in the country; very pretty. go for one of the fall arlo shows and show up early; that's what i did and met a whole bunch of these blundering crazy people that post here! - had great fun!! oh yeah, the most important thing - there's an official church mouse there - it lives in a crack in the top step by the front door, and it eats birthday cake. it's name...arlo, what else...

best, amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

wolfmother??? now that's a worthy name...

kinda scary, yet comforting at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:14 pm

BlunderVirgin

it does sound a bit bizarre doesn't it?! when this registration thing asked for a username that's all i could think of; i was 'given' that name when i had my baby - i was told, affectionately (i think), that i was like a mother wolf with this kid. very very protective. i'm still like that (he's 22 months); it's good i guess but i do have to let go at times and i hate it. but that's part of being a mom! and that's just life, right; finding that balance..