Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Kim, thanks for getting back with me on this. I don't totally understand it all, but it's not hard to figure out! People can be childish. I was surely kidding when I asked if you have lost your mind. Your one who makes sence, allot more often than not. Image

*Like Debs example with Dave. I'm sure that we wouldn't agree on lots of things Kim. (maybe we'd surprize each other) That doesn't take away the 'mutual' respect, I feel we show one another. I might be a good example, of being childish myself. If brought to my attention, I'd sure be re-examining the situation.. I can see where editing a post, would shed new light...And yes, personnally it would piss me off..

**but I wouldn't leave. And I share my toys.
***who's betting on how long Star, can stay away...Like this old business of mine...The saying was "They always come back"....

Peace everybody/Rb

* I got 5 bucks on she doesn't last till Thanksgiving.
any takers????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:09 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Which all brings us back to the point that gets made time after time about communicating via the Internet ...

It's generally worth bearing in mind that we aren't able to see or hear one another, so we can't pick up on all those subtle little signals that convey meaning and intent -- such as facial expressions, tone and volume of voice, body language ... and just plain knowing one another well enough to know what's NOT being said along with what IS being said. That's the reason for those emoticons,right? Except they still don't really get the full range of expression accross.

Sometimes we walk in on the middle of conversations, and without the full background, take out of context what's currently being said -- which can affect meaning dramatically. That can happen off the Internet -- but the effect can be much more pronounced on it.

OK. Maybe it's not like that for any of the rest of you, but it sure is that way for me. I shouldn't make rash assumptions. Maybe everyone else here is really, really psychic, and don't need video conferencing to see the face I'm making right now ... Image

And let's face it: we're not exactly a generation who has learned to communicate primarily via the written word. In Victorian times (and before, of course) people would write notes and letters to one another all the time. You couldn't just pick up a phone or drive to someone's place or catch the next plane if you wanted to visit with someone. Sixteen page letters were commonplace, and took the place of the half hour phone call. Depending on your distance from one another, your reply might come in the next post, or six months later. If you wanted to visit, it meant a ten mile walk (which people did without a second thought, granted) or a three month sea voyage, or a dangerous and difficult trek accross the wilderness (with no rest stops, nor McDonald's, nor nothin'...) I've written letters all my life, true, but I seem to be one of the exceptions, because a lot of people think I'm really weird because of it. (My relatives certainly think I am, and rarely even open my letters to them anymore. And of course, it isn't just the writing that some people find weird about me. I know. I know.) When the Internet came along it was a major relief for me though, because I can finally write without standing out like a sore thumb ...

Just a few thoughts. If I sound preachy, I apologize. I don't mean to. Honest. I'm still learning to communicate myself, actually. I figure I should start getting the hang of it any day now.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 2 times, lastly by muffy on Oct 25, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:31 pm

that's not preachy, Muffy, I think you are correct. We communicate, here, with only one dimension, while in person, we have 3, and all 6 senses cooking..
Have to just imagine the taste of Homer's choc Mousse! I'm avoiding imagining the moose dinner, though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The 'Moose Dinner' is the best part Bumper! Nothing like a good moose-steak. Good protein builder.

*Well Starchild. I had no takers. I thought sure Todd would take a piece of the action.
ANYHOW, I think this proves NO-ONE would really want you to leave ARLO.NET. I might not be as twisted as Todd, but I can have a blurred sence of humor. Please, don't take offence to it. I was hoping it could turn around as a mild joke. (If wrong - I'll consider no apology) Our friendship has lasted for some time. Wouldn't want to see that change....Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:59 am

The W!zard

Since I was the one who originally posted this message I wanted to clear a few things up. First, I found the joke to be quite funny. Those who know me, know that I am a big fan of satire and irony - probably why I enjoy Howard Stern so much. And I also like to push the envelope on what is acceptable at times.

You will note that this joke was NOT posted in Topical Tropical - where it could be seen as a political stance. Instead, I posted it on the Blunder Board, where things are supposed to be silly.

I'm not appologizing for the joke, and don't feel as if I need to... but I will tell you that I do not advocate purposely hitting someone or anyone (although there are a few people who I think could use it). Anyone who took my posting seriously - and never even bothered to contact me personally... I say have you ever listened to Arlo? I think that satire is a big part of his show as well - even if it is from a slightly different angle. I mean, "Shrink, I wanna, kill, Kill, KILL"... Anyone ever give Arlo a bunch of shit over that line? I mean I never even suggested killing anyone and people get all up in arms over it. Arlo mentions killing people and it's fine. Some of you need to take a real look at yourselves, because there seems to be a real double standard out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:25 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave:

(snip)
I say have you ever listened to Arlo? I think that satire is a big part of his show as well - even if it is from a slightly different angle. I mean, "Shrink, I wanna, kill, Kill, KILL"... Anyone ever give Arlo a bunch of shit over that line? I mean I never even suggested killing anyone and people get all up in arms over it. Arlo mentions killing people and it's fine. Some of you need to take a real look at yourselves, because there seems to be a real double standard out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no, I never gave him any shit over it, but whaddaya mean "sarcasm"??? Wait a minute ... You mean ... Are you saying that Arlo WASN'T advocating killing? He didn't go out and become a mercenary soldier right after that, and spend the next ten years with veins in his teeth, etc.? You're telling me that Arlo isn't a right-wing, fascist, bloodthirsty, violent, Uzi-toting hawk?

Well damn, man!!! After all these years, too...

Who knew?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:35 pm

Aww, Muffy, now I suppose you're going to tell us that you really thought he COULD see the customs man on the ground from thousands of miles away. Image

Oops - hope I didn't spoil anything for you there. Guess I should just stay away from the topics of Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, etc. huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'd like to add my two cents to this discussion... just before leaving for Europe, I had received a copy of the infamous joke, and very nearly posted it myself... I didn't because I knew that this joke would elicit a good bit of commentary and I wanted to take time to think of an appropriate opening, so that my views on pacifism/activism would not be misunderstood. I thought it was funny...

In a way it reminds me of Tevye's speech in Fiddler on the Roof ... "on the one hand, she is my child, but on the other hand, he is not Jewish... then on the other hand... on the other hand... THERE IS NO OTHER HAND!"

We have an untenable situation... we advocate for peace... but we cannot allow our adversaries to feel they can strike at us without any repercussions... some action must be taken.

I am also reminded of a bumper sticker that I have seen... "If you want peace, work for justice" ... Justice requires that who perpetrate foul acts be held accountable.

I do not advocate blind retaliation... and I believe that the bombing should now be stopped. The holy month of Ramadan is quickly approaching. Thus, it is a perfect time to shift the focus of our efforts, as well as to show respect to our Islamic brothers and sisters.

(Should I have put this post on Topical Tropical? - if so, I'm sorry...)

Peace, Love, Music & (((HUGS)))
~Wyld Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave:

I'm not appologizing for the joke, and don't feel as if I need to... but I will tell you that I do not advocate purposely hitting someone or anyone (although there are a few people who I think could use it). Anyone who took my posting seriously - and never even bothered to contact me personally... I say have you ever listened to Arlo? I think that satire is a big part of his show as well - even if it is from a slightly different angle. I mean, "Shrink, I wanna, kill, Kill, KILL"... Anyone ever give Arlo a bunch of shit over that line? I mean I never even suggested killing anyone and people get all up in arms over it. Arlo mentions killing people and it's fine. Some of you need to take a real look at yourselves, because there seems to be a real double standard out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

two thing first and formost: well said sir.

second: there is no peace without justice. (adg sat at the chuch).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Just want to say it's good to see you back safe and sound, Wyldflower. I assume the same can be said for HomerJ.

Dave, you don't really have to explain, but it was a good explanation. As for Arlo, a few years ago he was telling this story..(more or less..not word for word or anything.):

He said he was at a show and a woman came up to him and said her boss had "nearly died laughing" at one of Arlo's stories. So he said to her, "Who's your boss?" and she said "Patrick Buchanan." and he said "Nearly died?" with apparent regret that he hadn't finished him off. I was in at least one audience that did indeed give him shit for that. And it's not like they were Buchanan fans. Arlo just was't allowed to joke like that. He gave them shit right back though and it made for a fun show. I don't think he did Alice that night, eitehr. A few years later he was talking about voting for Buchanan. That might or might not have been a joke, too. You never know with Arlo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pat:

Just want to say it's good to see you back safe and sound, Wyldflower. I assume the same can be said for HomerJ.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, I decided to bring HomerJ back with me... after all this whole trip was because he had to go to a conference, and I never would have had the opportunity otherwise. (and this way he will bring me to the next two conferences, one next year in Cajun country, and the following year in France)

I appreciate your welcoming message... I did try to keep up while overseas, but it seems that insanity struck as soon as we left... was it my fault, because I wasn't there??? (LOL)

Oh well, I'm supposed to be working... better get busy!

PLM&(H)
~Wyld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes, Wyldflower, I think that the circumstantial evidence leads one to believe that it was your fault. So, now that you're back, things should go right back to normal. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome back! I bet you had an interesting trip...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:50 pm

welcome home, wyld and homerj! did you find those elusive cookie recipes in europe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kim:

Aww, Muffy, now I suppose you're going to tell us that you really thought he COULD see the customs man on the ground from thousands of miles away. (smilie snip)

Oops - hope I didn't spoil anything for you there. Guess I should just stay away from the topics of Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, etc. huh?

(more smilie snip)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Image But ... but ... it's what he SAID, isn't it? Well? Isn't it?

<center>Image</center>