Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:59 pm

BlunderVirgin

Attachment:
File comment: Officer Sorry I didn't get his name.
NJ.jpg
NJ.jpg [ 78.08 KiB | Viewed 11716 times ]
It was around 1970 or so when I and a few HS com padres drove my Dad's 66 Impala out on the back roads of South Jersey in search of recyclables, not for cash, like today's scavengers, but simply because we wanted to do something good. We found the usual HS dumping ground of discarded beer bottle and such, and had collected a trunk full and were about ready to bail, when along came a fine young NJ State Trooper. He was absolutely convinced we were up to no good, as who in their right minds would collect beer bottles, and besides, we were all long hairs so that pretty much ensured we would be frisked and my Dad's car searched.

Long story short (I could make it longer if I wanted to fill up a side of an album), he found nothing among us or in the car, so he proceeded to lock me in his back seat and write me a warning for unauthorized parking... The only photo I got of the crime scene was one taken with my camera after I instructed my buddies to snap a photo of the scene commemorating the event.

We went on to form an Environmental Action club and eventually hosted a "Trash Bash" every third Saturday at our HS. We recycled literally tons of trash, bottles, cans and paper... It was a tremendous success. These guys were the primary glass crushers, using sledge hammers in 55 gallon drums to crush glass. We took about thirty barrels each time to the Coca Cola site in Camden for recycling for a nice profit that funded environmental college scholarships.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i guess beer bottles might be the most widely discarded item onto roadsides during that time period?

sometime in the 80s or 90s, i remember being with my dad and my good friend picking up trash along a tributary. my dad loved these places and he didn’t want it to be abused or neglected and actually got permission to do this (when approached by someone while in the process of him doing this picking up of trash).
it was only polluted near areas where people were allowed to park. we never understood why it was just a given that anyone would just leave their trash.

beyond that area were dragonflies, and watercress growing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 pm

BlunderVirgin

agnes wrote:
i guess beer bottles might be the most widely discarded item onto roadsides during that time period?

s

Ah Yes, it was a country road frequented by teens having late night beer parties... disposing of the evidence. Aluminum hadn't really caught on yet. Doubt the trooper was ever out that late patrolling and really not sure what brought him around that day, 'cept maybe a concerned citizen wondering what those hippies were up to. But you know, its the folks incarcerated in the local jails who are out cleaning up the roadsides these days, so I guess that's progress! lol.

We took the booty over to one of the guys house and spread it out on the front lawn to wash it all out. And this was in a very nice suburban neighborhood, That in and of itself is a great scene for a movie! We found dead mice and other stuff in the bottles. Yea, pretty gross.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 pm

BlunderVirgin

Then there was the time I was hitchhiking home from College on Rt 130 to see my girlfriend, with a pack and guitar in hand. Just too damn suspicious for the local constable. After searching on the ground for at least ten minutes for contraband, and not finding any, he decided he was going to arrest me so he could search me, and then if there was nothing found, he would "Unarrest" me. and that's exactly what he did. But I am sure there are many unfortunate souls who were victims of illegal plants and I count my lucky stars, he was not one of those. He even let me continue to thumb my way... Sometimes you just have to play along.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 am

ArloNetizen

Picking up beer bottles. In trouble for that. How bass backwards can that be?!